Guest viewing is limited

Recognizing Japanese Who Are Passive-aggressive Or Racist

Status
Not open for further replies.
I refuse to believe that Japan is just simply a nation of prolific neurotic coughers. Anybody who's even a little bit switched on can see it.

Reactions: Garcian
Yeah, absolutely horrendous. The holocaust was nothing in comparison.

Of course it is impossible to ignore the random coughing old guys and live you life like they didn't exist?

Reactions: Sudsy and Wwanderer
I dunno man, the guys that do it round here are so loud and aggressive it makes you jump!
I get what you're saying, no foreigner in Japan is under any immediate physical danger, it's just bloody annoying!

I searched online on Japanese forums, and it seems even the Japanese themselves have issues with these things. Yes, some of the time they are directed at foreigners, but I think there's just a lot of angry people around in general and they let it out through these means. Cultural kinks.

Reactions: MikeH
The problem is that it is absolutely impossible to tell whether they are racially motivated actions.

In my two years of experience here I have only ever had someone make racial slurs as they've walked past ONCE. Everything else can be easily dismissed as simply bad people.

The problem is that it is absolutely impossible to tell whether they are racially motivated actions.

In my two years of experience here I have only ever had someone make racial slurs as they've walked past ONCE. Everything else can be easily dismissed as simply bad people.

Sounds like you have it good there. Here in the States, white christians are under attack. No one says "merry christmas" any more - now it's just "happy holidays". :cry:

No one says "merry christmas" any more - now it's just "happy holidays". :cry:

I know Japan doesn't take many refugees but holy goat man, it truly sounds like your application should be accepted here in a hurry! And we still have all the traditional ingredients of Christmas intact here too; Kentucky Fried Chicken as the main dish and strawberry whipped cream cake as dessert.

Yes I watched the video and we can see the guy picking up his cigarette pack from the vending machine

Doesn't matter. Saying all smokers who cough, only cough due to smoking cigarettes is like saying all people who fart only fart from eating beans and from nothing else. It is a stupid generalization and I'm tired of people saying it in defense of obvious xenophobic behavior on the part of that Japanese man.

I have young, non-smokers coughing just like this when I cross paths with them...care to analyze that? Let me guess, they are closet smokers and they have cancer as well?

Reactions: drlucozade88
Yeah, absolutely horrendous. The holocaust was nothing in comparison.

Of course it is impossible to ignore the random coughing old guys and live you life like they didn't exist?

Ok, this is just stupid. Of course the Holocaust was much worse. We aren't trying to compare these xenophobic behaviors to such tragedies.

I am getting really tired of people completely denying that this fake coughing, fake yawning, etc exist and then when we prove they do exist...you just go right to the "oh well it isn't a big deal just ignore it" spiel.

We are just trying to get people who don't believe it is real to open their eyes, that is all!

We are just trying to get people who don't believe it is real to open their eyes, that is all!

So you are claiming there are people somewhere that don't believe racism exist in every country? I've never met one of those types of crazies but I guess anything is possible due to the lack of proper mental health care.

Now when we have established there is racism in Japan in many forms what is your next step of action?

Reactions: faboo2001
I can't wrap my head around why people out write deny it and call you paranoid when the evidence is right there. Baffles me!

Even if they are after you it doesn't prove you are not paranoid.

Fortunately it is absolutely unnecessary to find out what motivates their actions since they are so incredibly mild and harmless that the problem is easily solved by simply ignoring those folks, has worked perfectly for me for decades.

-Ww

Unpopular opinion: I could care less.
All this interpretation is just going to stress you out instead of just ignoring it, even if there's any truth to any of it.

I have much better things to do in Japan than worry about what the fuck someone is trying to tell me in their own reclusive and subtle matter. It doesn't mean jack to me... lol

I used to get stressed over slights - real or perceived - which I noticed in my day to day activities here in Japan until one day I realised the following -

1. Nobody invited me here. Nobody made me come here (except for the first time when the military sent me here). i went to a lot of trouble to be here and it was totally my decision.

2. Any morning I can wake up, get my passport and go somewhere else. In fact, most of the people around me - particularly the ones who bug me - don't have that option in any real sense.

3. It's their culture they are fucking up. And it's their right to do it as long as other Japanese allow them to do it .

As soon as I owned my decision and that understanding I felt a whole lot more free from the stress I used to feel .

I sometimes like to point out to Japanese - when I'm in a group where I'm the only foreigner - that I am the only person here who made the conscious decision to live in Japan.

I sometimes like to point out to Japanese - when I'm in a group where I'm the only foreigner - that I am the only person here who made the conscious decision to live in Japan.

I use a similar line as well when dealing with certain right-leaning managers I deal with when they accuse me of being a foreigner who can never properly "love Japan". They were born here - I chose to come here, and my love and respect for the country keeps me here.

The greatest patriots in any nation are often found among the immigrant population.

No, he wasn't. He was walking behind that foreigner in the middle of the street. Watch the video.

Not every Japanese that does a fake cough at foreigners has lung cancer. I have had teenagers do it to me...you think they have lung cancer too? lol

To be honest, the people here cough and sneeze at each other, too. I see in on the street every day.

I used to get stressed over slights - real or perceived - which I noticed in my day to day activities here in Japan until one day I realised the following -

1. Nobody invited me here. Nobody made me come here (except for the first time when the military sent me here). i went to a lot of trouble to be here and it was totally my decision.

2. Any morning I can wake up, get my passport and go somewhere else. In fact, most of the people around me - particularly the ones who bug me - don't have that option in any real sense.

3. It's their culture they are fucking up. And it's their right to do it as long as other Japanese allow them to do it .

As soon as I owned my decision and that understanding I felt a whole lot more free from the stress I used to feel .

You live here, you are a member of society, you have every right in the world to complain about everything that's bugging you. Doesn't matter where you came from.
I am not a big fan of the whole "just leave the damn place when you are not happy anymore" thing. Just because there is a national border around these little islands we call Japan, does not mean anybody has a better right being here than you.

Unpopular opinion: I could care less.
All this interpretation is just going to stress you out instead of just ignoring it, even if there's any truth to any of it.

I have much better things to do in Japan than worry about what the fuck someone is trying to tell me in their own reclusive and subtle matter. It doesn't mean jack to me... lol

I think the same way. I couldn't care less about random fucks on the street.

you have every right in the world to complain about everything that's bugging you.

Yeah and it helps so much, right? I will just go now and spend my day complaining how hot it is outside, that will teach the weather and make it become cooler tomorrow!

Maybe instead of complaining I could go and enjoy the fact that because of the hot weather the cold beer tastes even better and the girls wear next to nothing and are happy to go to air conditioned hotel with me?

does not mean anybody has a better right being here than you.

Well, actually that is just what it means. :p

But to take the idea of @ShowaJidai and @Sudsy to a bit different direction; the country of Japan has actually made a conscious decision they want to let me live here. With every native born Japanese they are just stuck with them.

Reactions: Sudsy and Wwanderer
I agree with what you lot are saying for sure, it's a nice discussion and good to hear other peoples experiences and opinions.
There are of course the vast majority of foreigners in Japan who succeed, do well, live comfortably and manage themselves and the nonsense around them enough to live a good life. Just like being anywhere else.
Ultimately the key in life in self management, I read a quote somewhere "We can't control the actions of others but we can control how we respond to them".

Yeah and it helps so much, right? I will just go now and spend my day complaining how hot it is outside, that will teach the weather and make it become cooler tomorrow!

Maybe instead of complaining I could go and enjoy the fact that because of the hot weather the cold beer tastes even better and the girls wear next to nothing and are happy to go to air conditioned hotel with me?

LOL! Not saying he SHOULD complain all day.

Reactions: MikeH
Well, actually that is just what it means. :p

But to take the idea of @ShowaJidai and @Sudsy to a bit different direction; the country of Japan has actually made a conscious decision they want to let me live here. With every native born Japanese they are just stuck with them.

As soon as you do get the permission to live here, you are a full member of society, is what I am saying.
Of course, one should refrain from actions that might have this permission taken away.

So you are claiming there are people somewhere that don't believe racism exist in every country? I've never met one of those types of crazies but I guess anything is possible due to the lack of proper mental health care.

Now when we have established there is racism in Japan in many forms what is your next step of action?

No, I'm not claiming that people on here believe racism doesn't exist. I'm saying there are people on this very forum that don't believe in the coughing and yawning at foreigners as being a way of expressing that racism.

Just look back at the earlier posts in this thread...it is all there!

I agree with you Garcian, there's a certain level of care which should be upheld by the government in allowing foreigners to visit and especially live here.
What I don't like is when I was assaulted in the street, the police refused to do fuck all. My female friend from England was raped in Nagoya by a Japanese guy, and again, the police did absolutely fuck all.
She ended up leaving Japan and dropping out of uni because of how uncooperative they were.

But it's ok! We can just leave whenever we want ;)

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
Status
Not open for further replies.