Guest viewing is limited

Recognizing Japanese Who Are Passive-aggressive Or Racist

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only time they seem to move their asses is if there's some direct threat to their "face" on a national level. Like when they took the "Japanese only" signs down because they were featured in global news.

The problem is they still refuse service, just after you walk in! XD

Fortunately it is absolutely unnecessary to find out what motivates their actions since they are so incredibly mild and harmless that the problem is easily solved by simply ignoring those folks, has worked perfectly for me for decades.

-Ww

Yes, I realize that it is mild and it doesn't bother me as much now as when I first started noticing it almost everyday starting almost three years ago. I just take it in as a natural occurrence, just like how you can expect to hear cicadas during summertime. I'm only making observations and reporting them to other foreigners on here.

By the way, when you tell me to ignore them (which I already do) you are not still silently denying that this stuff does happen right? Ignoring something means that you are avoiding something that is in fact happening.

Reactions: drlucozade88
Yes, I realize that it is mild and it doesn't bother me as much now as when I first started noticing it almost everyday starting almost three years ago. I just take it in as a natural occurrence, just like how you can expect to hear cicadas during summertime. I'm only making observations and reporting them to other foreigners on here.

By the way, when you tell me to ignore them (which I already do) you are not still silently denying that this stuff does happen right? Ignoring something means that you are avoiding something that is in fact happening.

While ignoring might be the solution, it is still perfectly valid to observe, report and discuss, imho.

From my POV, I used to think that some people here were coughing, sneezing, whatever at me on purpose, but recently I see more and more local people coughing at local people, so I am not so sure anymore.

Even one of my close friends used to sneeze without covering her nose/mouth while we were sitting AT THE SAME dinner table.

While ignoring might be the solution, it is still perfectly valid to observe, report and discuss, imho.

From my POV, I used to think that some people here were coughing, sneezing, whatever at me on purpose, but recently I see more and more local people coughing at local people, so I am not so sure anymore.

Even one of my close friends used to sneeze without covering her nose/mouth while we were sitting AT THE SAME dinner table.

As I said earlier, I searched IN Japanese, ON Japanese forums about this phenomenon. There are plenty of actually Japanese who experience this too and feel that they are the cause of the behaviour. Not just in the street, but in the workplace, in shops, when they go to bars.

Much of the advice given usually falls into "You're too self conscious", "You're schizophrenic" or "It's to show dominance".

Now I'm not saying that these reasons aren't the only reasons why they do it but I do agree that some people some of the time use it as a pass-aggressive means of a non-verbal "F-You!" The issue is that it's entirely impossible to tell which one it is so, gonna have to ignore it, unless someone is right up my arse I might say something.

I remember reading two different posts where both people became hikkikomori's because they felt they were the victims of being coughed at every time they went out.
That's extreme.

Right, I'm not denying that there are many racist Japanese, and indeed I think Japanese culture is more racist than many...especially toward other asians but including westerners too. Moreover some expressions of Japanese racism can be a fairly serious problem for foreigners, such as refusing to rent to them or refusing to take them as customers in various businesses or excluding them from social events or refusing to treat them as friends or equals etc. However, strangers coughing or sneezing at me strikes me as too minor to care about, too minor to even think or talk about. There are so much bigger problems in the world to worry about, and it is not like anything much could be done about it anyway without some huge effort. Anyway, that's my personal feeling.

-Ww

You live here, you are a member of society, you have every right in the world to complain about everything that's bugging you. Doesn't matter where you came from. .
Where did I say you can't complain? Complain all you want. Just don't expect them to change to suit your relatively unique condition. In my own country there are a lot of things about my personal situation and outlook which don't fit the average - but I don't expect them to change for me there either.

I am not a big fan of the whole "just leave the damn place when you are not happy anymore" thing.
I didn't say you have to leave, just own your decision to stay if you do.

Just because there is a national border around these little islands we call Japan, does not mean anybody has a better right being here than you.
Try behaving as if that were true in North Korea and tell me if reality doesn't show you something different.

Reactions: MikeH and Garcian
Where did I say you can't complain? Complain all you want. Just don't expect them to change to suit your relatively unique condition. In my own country there are a lot of things about my personal situation and outlook which don't fit the average - but I don't expect them to change for me there either.

I didn't say you have to leave, just own your decision to stay if you do.

Try behaving as if that were true in North Korea and tell me if reality doesn't show you something different.

Maybe I got you wrong.

What I am trying to say is:

1) I don't differ between "them" and "me". As long as "they" are using my tax, insurance and pension money, which they do, I see myself as a full member of this society. As I would in any other society. That does not, however, change the fact in front of police, judges, whatever, I will probably stand in a different light.

But, talking about them and their culture, I am not so sure. Now that we live here, we are part of that culture, no?

2) It is always bugging me that the word "leave" comes up, whenever people are discussing a country. Because that is such an easy card to play. I don't want locals saying that to me, so I won't say it myself, either. Of course you are right, technically you (and I) can leave whenever we want.

3) I am not expecting anybody to change. I was actually trying to cheer you up by saying that your opinion matters, no matter where you came from. But seems I wrote it badly.

1) I don't differ between "them" and "me". ... ....But, talking about them and their culture, I am not so sure. Now that we live here, we are part of that culture, no?
To put this in a different context, if you moved to Harlem, New York (assuming you are not an African-American) and tried to say you were now the same as everybody else in your neighborhood and now part of their culture how far do you think people - both inside that community and outside of it - would accept that as valid?

There are a number of nations where immigrants are accepted as equals but that's only with the agreement and acceptance of it's citizens. But that isn't the case - right or wrong by whatever standard you wish to propose - in most nations.

Reactions: MikeH
I'm saying there are people on this very forum that don't believe in the coughing and yawning at foreigners as being a way of expressing that racism.

Well, I hear you and you have a point. But because I am me I will not leave it to that. I will argue that you don't know if the reason they cough at you is racism. (It might as well be as like I have said I believe there are many racists people in Japan).

In that video the coughing guy might as well had just been annoyed by the twat who was video filming himself while walking like a complete asshole. While I would not cough like that, I couldn't even if I wanted to in the first place as that was a very impressive cough, I would still probably give the guy a stinky eye for being a waste of public space.

Also like @drlucozade88 said these random asshole guys do that same thing to Japanese people too. So instead of being a racist, like you claim, I do now declare he was actually just the opposite! He wanted to treat that foreign twat exactly the same way he would have treated any native Japanese person. :p

So next time when someone farts in your general direction please do not take it as an act of racism. It actually means you are a valued and recognised part of the society; it's the sign you belong! :ROFLMAO:

There are a number of nations where immigrants are accepted as equals but that's only with the agreement and acceptance of it's citizens. But that isn't the case - right or wrong by whatever standard you wish to propose - in most nations.

Of course it isn't the case.

I can only speak for myself, I see myself as a member of the Japanese society.

By "member of society" I mean that I can do what I want, when I want, as long as it goes along with the law and doesn't offend anybody. I refuse to think that there is some hidden culture that I am not allowed to be part of. I mean, was it this "culture" that is apparently unaccessible for us, really? Calling my coworker Senpai and Kouhai? I can live without that.

I lived in my home country for about 30 years before I decided to go somewhere else. Not even once has the thought crossed my mind that another person who works and pays taxes is not a member of "my country's society" just because he was born somewhere else. I know that there are many locals in Japan who would disagree, but that does not influence my opinion one bit.

Last edited:
I find Asians generally racist towards other Asians.

Speaking of my Chinese life, Chinese look down on everybody and consider themselves as the Master Race. We westerners are pretty much hated (and being subjected to their envy). The northern you go in China, the worse racism gets.

Japanese are fine till they keep their racism to themselves... I have no qualms in letting people know where they can shove their opinions.

Last edited:
However, strangers coughing or sneezing at me strikes me as too minor to care about, too minor to even think or talk about.

Whenever I peek in this thread I'm reminded of the old tale of the two monks....

Once upon a time an old monk and a young monk were walking along a riverbank. The Buddhist monks of this sect had a vow of chastity requiring that they never speak to or ever touch a woman.

As they walked up the river, they came upon a woman who was desperately trying to get across the river because her child was on the other side. It was a fast-flowing river and she was frightened to cross the river by herself.

The elder monk walked over to her and asked, “May I help you?” He then picked her up and with the strength that he carried in his legs that walk mountains and valleys and streams as part of his pilgrimmages, he carried her across the river, set her down, and returned to join his fellow and they began again to walk in silence.

About two hours later the young monk said to the elder monk, “I can’t believe you carried that woman across the river. I can’t believe you touched her. I can’t believe that you broke your vows.”

The other monk simply looked at his companion and said, “I put her down two hours ago. Why are you still carrying her?”

Reactions: Wwanderer and MikeH
Right, I'm not denying that there are many racist Japanese, and indeed I think Japanese culture is more racist than many...especially toward other asians but including westerners too. Moreover some expressions of Japanese racism can be a fairly serious problem for foreigners, such as refusing to rent to them or refusing to take them as customers in various businesses or excluding them from social events or refusing to treat them as friends or equals etc. However, strangers coughing or sneezing at me strikes me as too minor to care about, too minor to even think or talk about. There are so much bigger problems in the world to worry about, and it is not like anything much could be done about it anyway without some huge effort. Anyway, that's my personal feeling.

-Ww

Hey, well at least you are not in the category of deniers. That is all that matters. Yes, I definitely agree that Asians are often really racist to each other as well.

Well, I hear you and you have a point. But because I am me I will not leave it to that. I will argue that you don't know if the reason they cough at you is racism. (It might as well be as like I have said I believe there are many racists people in Japan).

In that video the coughing guy might as well had just been annoyed by the twat who was video filming himself while walking like a complete asshole. While I would not cough like that, I couldn't even if I wanted to in the first place as that was a very impressive cough, I would still probably give the guy a stinky eye for being a waste of public space.

Also like @drlucozade88 said these random asshole guys do that same thing to Japanese people too. So instead of being a racist, like you claim, I do now declare he was actually just the opposite! He wanted to treat that foreign twat exactly the same way he would have treated any native Japanese person. :p

So next time when someone farts in your general direction please do not take it as an act of racism. It actually means you are a valued and recognised part of the society; it's the sign you belong! :ROFLMAO:

Well, here is something interesting. You don't have to walk around and film yourself like a twat and you will still have Japanese people cough just like that at you too lol.

He was not only coughing at him because he was acting like a twat. He was coughing at him because he is a foreigner. Maybe if he wasn't acting like a total dumbfuck, the Japanese guy might not have coughed and held in his hatred, but since he is a foreigner AND a dumbfuck on top of that, the Japanese guy probably couldn't control his anger and lashed out with his oh so brave cough attack lol.

He was not only coughing at him because he was acting like a twat. He was coughing at him because he is a foreigner.

How do you know? Did that guy with an impressive cough volunteer that info in some later video I haven't watched? If not then it's pretty difficult to say for sure what was in his mind. (Though I could venture a guess that "not so much" is the correct answer :p)

But if there is another video I will take your word for it. so please do not make me watch another video with that foreign twat in it. :eek::D

Reactions: cabbie
How do you know? Did that guy with an impressive cough volunteer that info in some later video I haven't watched? If not then it's pretty difficult to say for sure what was in his mind. (Though I could venture a guess that "not so much" is the correct answer :p)

But if there is another video I will take your word for it. so please do not make me watch another video with that foreign twat in it. :eek::D

Well, I can't say that I know 100% but in certain situations, you just go with your gut feeling. My gut feeling is at best, this Japanese man needed to actually cough due to his cigarette habit, but also chose to cough at the foreigner for being a loud cunt and for also being a foreigner. Nothing will change my mind with regard to this.

Well, you just gave me some homework! I will look for another video where a Japanese guy is coughing at a foreigner. I will try not to choose a video of this same cunt, but that might happen...so I apologize in advance lol.

Well, I can't say that I know 100% but in certain situations, you just go with your gut feeling.

My gut feeling is you have too many gut feelings! Leave the ignorant idiots coughing by themselves and go and take their daughters, and wives too, to a nice love hotel for a non-coughing session! :p

Life is too short to mind every asshole you meet, and I mean now the male assholes. More than happy to mind the female ones in that said love hotel.

"If you don't like something, take away its only power: your attention."

But it someone blatantly makes a conscious effort to disrupt my day, Japan or otherwise, I'll tell them where to go :)

Well, I can't say that I know 100%...
tumblr_mwzszinQc61rzik3go1_400.gif

Took you long enough! o_O But in all seriousness, part of the debate/discussion was exactly about how some of rude actions/manners people have experienced wasn't racist in nature or intent. That doesn't mean we deny that it EVER happens or that racism doesn't exist in Japan.

What?

I'm assuming you're trying to be sarcastic towards my stance of the matter. I'm simply looking at this from different angles. First you played the joker and said it's not happening and those who talk about it are over sensitive and crazy, ripping the piss there. And then when I take a different stance you do the same thing :(

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
Status
Not open for further replies.