Guest viewing is limited

Recognizing Japanese Who Are Passive-aggressive Or Racist

Status
Not open for further replies.
ps : even though I hold no grudge toward France because I don't do generalization.

Good, at least you could live there for a while, as a foreigner... which is very hard to do in some country, like US ;)

Considering the level of multiculturalism in France, I doubt people wouldn't seat next to you because you look foreign...

First time i read something intelligent on France here, congrats mate :)

I've also experienced great things there and met very nice people (especially girls).
I have been holding off for the longest time to post this additional information to verify 100% that I'm not just being paranoid, but I have verified that these things are indeed happening to me.

At least once a day, Japanese people will say one of the following things as they pass by me after making eye contact with me: "全然わからない” and ”何これ/それ?” 

For those who don't know:

全然わからない/ぜんぜんわかんない mean "I don't understand at all" which is what Japanese people say when they "don't understand at all (why a foreigner is in Shizuoka or Japan)". They say it as they pass me, after they pass me or often even before passing by my while making eye contact...pretty fucking rude lol.

何これ/それ? mean "what is this/that?" which is insanely rude to say to someone. It is either an accidentally rude thing to say meaning something like "what is this (why is a foreigner here?)" or it is an intentionally rude thing to say like "what is that foreigner (is he even human?"). Either way, it is fucking stupid for people to say, but they say it all the time.

I have had Japanese people I know walking with me in malls, downtown, etc. that have actually heard people say this shit and they agreed that I'm not just "being paranoid". Anyway, there you go guys.
Give them the finger.

Good, at least you could live there for a while, as a foreigner... which is very hard to do in some country, like US ;)
Never been to US and never have had the desire to go there.
I'd like to travel to the southern part of the continent though, Argentine or Peru or Chili sound like a better plan.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Give them the finger.

No, giving them the finger just causes more drama. I usually ignore them now but if they are especially annoying, I will just mimic everything they say because it is funny to see their facial reactions.

I have done that before and I recommend you guys try it sometime.

One woman looked right at me and then looked at her friend and said "何それ? 全然わかんない!” Then I just repeated what she said in this funny voice and she looked back at me as if she had seen a ghost. It must come as a shock to some Japanese that their language isn't that difficult to learn and understand lol.

Just the other day, I went to the most famous ramen shop in downtown, which is in Shizuoka station. It is a place called 一風堂 and I'm a regular there. One waitress that already knows that I can use chopsticks because I go there often decided to offer me a fork to eat the ramen with wtf? lol

I told her that I can use chopsticks just fine...and she had already been watching me eat the ramen with chopsticks for about 10 minutes...other than being racist or completely ignorant, why would someone act on such a stupid idea? o_O

Even the Japanese woman sitting next to me was surprised when she randomly offered me the fork because she saw that I was doing just fine as I was. The shop owner apologized profusely as I was leaving to pay and I told him not to worry about it and that I'm still going to keep eating there.

Never been to US and never have had the desire to go there.
I'd like to travel to the southern part of the continent though, Argentine or Peru or Chili sound like a better plan.
Yes, good idea, go there... You will can compare with Eu about the "human respect" , and "racism" then...

Yes, good idea, go there... You will can compare with Eu about the "human respect" , and "racism" then...
you pay me the trip and the living there and I'll write you a report if you need this comparison among others so badly :D

multiculturalism doesn't mean open mind.
you can doubt it if you want but It's something I've experienced. I've also experienced people crossing the street to walk on the other side until they go past you before they cross it again.
also the police can be very rude and give you a body check for no reason in the street or the subway just because of your race. I've never done anything illegal in France but I had some of those humiliating experiences.
It's also very hard to get a job or an apartment if you're not a white westerner there.

France was my first foreign country life experience and even if I got used to those low points I felt a huge relief when I first arrived in Japan.

ps : even though I hold no grudge toward France because I don't do generalization. I've also experienced great things there and met very nice people (especially girls).
I wonder how long ago you were there because if you take a train in Paris or an other big city today, most passengers aren't white westerners anyway.

I agree with you when you say multiculturalism doesn't mean open mind and I would add that failed multiculturalism creates racism.
Immigration in France is a big failure and what used to be a united, xenophile society (for example, think about the huge popularity of Japonism and such exotic movements) is turning into a communitarian hell where each community fights and despises the others.
(even different African communities in France are now quasi at war with each other...)

Anyway, it was also a relief for me when I came to Japan and found a unique society that forces gaijins like me to assimilate :)

Reactions: Kulbutor
Really? Source?
I used to live in a 'HLM' area in Bobigny for my job prior to coming to Japan and there were many incidents and tensions while I was there, especially between north Africans and black Africans but also between Christian blacks (from Congo, CAR) and Muslim blacks (Mali, Senegal).

Now the press doesn't like talking about this as it shows the government's complete incompetence so I only found a couple of articles:
http://m.leparisien.fr/yvelines-78/yvelines-agresse-parce-qu-il-est-noir-19-12-2008-348141.php
http://m.7sur7.be/7s7/m/fr/3007/Bru...-entre-plusieurs-centaines-de-personnes.dhtml

So no war. Please avoid the use of inappropriate term. It's like Fox News fake "no-go zones" in Paris.
Also, such tensions exist for a long time now. Nothing new.
Please read well, he said "quasi war" not "war", its not the same thing, sorry mate...And btw, i confirm what he said absolutely, i saw that...with real weapons...

Lol.

French Connection. 70's. Nothing new. Really.
But you know French Connection is especially a legend, i mean it was not the Calabrese maffia :D

Lol.

French Connection. 70's. Nothing new. Really.
France today is completely different from France in the 70's. What is happening today IS something new. Everybody can see it is getting critical and nobody knows how to deal with it.
Hell, even Japanese people who've been to Paris 20 years ago and again recently tell me it's turned to shit and they have no intention to go back.

Reactions: Kulbutor
I wonder how long ago you were there because if you take a train in Paris or an other big city today, most passengers aren't white westerners anyway.
I was there between 1999 and 2005. It was already multicultural but still you could be refused at part time job interview or for renting an apartment just because your name doesn't sound westerner and you could have random violent body check by the police for no reason. There are also things like people not wanting to sit next to you in the metro or the bus or people crossing the road to avoid you and I have many stories you may not want to believe.

As I said multiculturalism doesn't mean open mind and unity. I think that things are even worse now and the "Front National" (far right party) is even more popular. Strangely the most open minded places in France weren't the most multicultural ones, I really felt a difference when I went to Bretagne. Unlike the weather I found people there to be the warmest and the nicest.

I agree with you when you say multiculturalism doesn't mean open mind and I would add that failed multiculturalism creates racism.
Immigration in France is a big failure and what used to be a united, xenophile society (for example, think about the huge popularity of Japonism and such exotic movements) is turning into a communitarian hell where each community fights and despises the others.
(even different African communities in France are now quasi at war with each other...)

Anyway, it was also a relief for me when I came to Japan and found a unique society that forces gaijins like me to assimilate :)
I agree, it's very sad. But still I was able to get in positive multicultural student environments and I enjoyed the mix with people coming from all over the world. I like these kind of atmosphere and that's how I met my wife. so as I said it wasn't all bad, there were good points in being there and I've never agreed with the couple french people here who always talk badly about France. it's not 100% good but it's far from being 100% bad either.

Last edited:
Strangely the most open minded places in France weren't the most multicultural ones,

All is said!

No its not strange... Its because in the other places you meet the "real"French people...

Please just stop to teach to the people they borned and live somewhere how they are, and how its work in their country... We know better than you!

Just look at yourself firstly...

Sorry but im tired to listen every time the same sing ( if i was angry i would say bullshits ) on some same consensus, from tourists or guys they stayed one or two years somewhere, and they think know all on the country, the us, the mentalities, but never pass the border of their job city or never learn to speak the language, or never even have meet closely some people there...

Last edited:
So now why we dont play a little bit?

Where are you from e-smile and @krdxgm69?

I will be the prosecutor of your people... :D

In term of passive aggressive aggression, I sometimes get some trash (chuhai can, empty pack of cigarettes, famichikin wrapping paper) left on my scooter when I park on areas I shouldn't.
It's most definitely not racist act since the trashers can't know I'm a foreigner and it happens in multiple areas.

Better that than getting a tire stabbed like it could happen in my home country

getting a tire stabbed like it could happen in my home country

You live in a kind country so...In some place in mine they just burn it! And for no reasons at all!

I realize this thread went off the rails about France for a while, but I guess I will bring it back to the main topic.

So I want to further confirm something Solong said about how Japanese people will do a fake yawn without covering their mouth as a microaggression. I believe this now more than ever after an encounter I had today on the train.

There was these two young Japanese guys literally staring at me and laughing and whispering. They were definitely talking shit of some sort and when I called them out on it and asked them to tell me what is so funny, one of them started doing this really exaggerated and fake yawn without covering his mouth. He was doing this literally while looking at me, while I was calling him and his friend out. It was definitely not a real "I'm sleepy" yawn. He was just being a dumbass. Solong, you nailed it as far as this goes. These truths should be etched into stone at a public park somewhere.

@TokyoJoeblow
Kids staring, whispering and laughing happens in all countries. Unless they said something rude or did some really rude (not just perceived so by you) gestures towards you, I don't really see why you should call them out. I guess while you were mesmerised by the beautiful yawn of one guy you earned more than a few strange looks from other passengers.

Generally I think calling some stranger out for laughing / snickering, never makes you look good, even if you might be the subject of their amusement.

Status
Not open for further replies.