Guest viewing is limited

Recognizing Japanese Who Are Passive-aggressive Or Racist

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really see why you should call them out.

TJB is just trying to earn his place as TAG's own Debito Don Arudou. Never resting, always fighting against all the wrongdoers in Japan, real or imagined. Now we just need to find Sancho and it's all set.

Like seriously listen to yourself: I am living in such a horrible and racist country that even in the train one guy yawned at me. Mandela has nothing on you.

@TokyoJoeblow
Kids staring, whispering and laughing happens in all countries. Unless they said something rude or did some really rude (not just perceived so by you) gestures towards you, I don't really see why you should call them out. I guess while you were mesmerised by the beautiful yawn of one guy you earned more than a few strange looks from other passengers.

Generally I think calling some stranger out for laughing / snickering, never makes you look good, even if you might be the subject of their amusement.

I wouldn't say I was "mesmerized" by his retarded yawn. I was more confused as to why pretend to yawn in the first place? Just yawn when you actually have to yawn.

I don't care if I got strange looks for calling some assholes out...I get strange looks for literally being in Japan and that is the entire purpose of these posts. Yes, I realize that people do this shit all over the world, but it is strange that this shitty behavior from people is so widely accepted as normal. My parents raised me not to talk shit about people I know nothing about and then it is just common sense as well.

At least I didn't flip them off like the woman in your avatar lol.

TJB is just trying to earn his place as TAG's own Debito Don Arudou. Never resting, always fighting against all the wrongdoers in Japan, real or imagined. Now we just need to find Sancho and it's all set.

Like seriously listen to yourself: I am living in such a horrible and racist country that even in the train one guy yawned at me. Mandela has nothing on you.

You must have missed the part where I mentioned they were laughing at my face and whispering like cunts. It wasn't just a yawn. Hey, nothing wrong with Debito. I would totally drink a beer with him anytime and tell him about all this lol.

You must have missed the part where I mentioned they were laughing at my face and whispering like cunts. It wasn't just a yawn. Hey, nothing wrong with Debito. I would totally drink a beer with him anytime and tell him about all this lol.

You dont know the virtue of the Mad Gaijin Stare? I use it sometimes when someone REALLY annoys me (which is very rare in Tokyo to be honest, more frequent in western countries). Get close and just stare. Dont say anything. Dont attract other people's attention. Usually it works. Dont do that to a yakuza though! :jimlad:

You dont know the virtue of the Mad Gaijin Stare? I use it sometimes when someone REALLY annoys me (which is very rare in Tokyo to be honest, more frequent in western countries). Get close and just stare. Dont say anything. Dont attract other people's attention. Usually it works. Dont do that to a yakuza though! :jimlad:

I have done the gaijin stare before, but you know what...I will just do that from now on. Fuck shouting and all that. I will report back to you how it worked out lol.

While I know that some Yakuza are dangerous, I feel that foreigners (especially people that love Japan) seem to idolize them. A lot of them are not even real tough guys. Of course there are some tough guys, but not every single Yakuza is a real tough guy. Yes, yes go ahead and tell me they could "kick my ass" blah blah. Some of them could, but some of them couldn't is my point lol. I'm sure they are mainly dangerous because they attack people in groups, use weapons and don't care if they kill people, etc.

Reactions: MikeH
A lot of them are not even real tough guys. Of course there are some tough guys, but not every single Yakuza is a real tough guy. Yes, yes go ahead and tell me they could "kick my ass" blah blah. Some of them could, but some of them couldn't is my point lol. I'm sure they are mainly dangerous because they attack people in groups, use weapons and don't care if they kill people, etc.

If the Yakuza was like you think, Japan probably wouldn't have like the lowest murder rates next to the Vatican.
They sure though know that it's sufficient to know and be able to quickly summon some tough guys ;)

If the Yakuza was like you think, Japan probably wouldn't have like the lowest murder rates next to the Vatican.
They sure though know that it's sufficient to know and be able to quickly summon some tough guys ;)

Non-Yakuza people can summon tough guys too. In fact, I have a couple friends that are strong as fuck. They could definitely beat down the average Yakuza member. Being able to "summon" tough guys isn't really a special skill.

I do respect how deep their roots go into Japan's underground world though.

I'm not accusing you of being one to idolize them, but I will point out that after researching about Yakuza over the years, I find that while they seem to sometimes help out good people, most of the time they seem to be known for beating up and killing people for the most arbitrary reasons (turf war, eye-balling them the wrong way, etc). No reason to idolize such a group. They are no different from other retarded thug gangs such as the bloods and the crips.

Reactions: impish
Btw, haven't heard from Solong for a while. I want to hear more about racism in Japan!

@Solong has disappeared from TAG for extended periods at least a few times in the past and then reappeared, without announcement or explanation when going or returning. However, I *think* this might be his longest absence by a significant margin. Possibly he has left these hallowed forums for good; who knows?

More generally, when someone just stops posting, you can't tell if they will return. As far as I can judge, when someone makes a melodramatic or outraged announcement that they are leaving permanently, they soon return (at least in all the cases I can recall).

-Ww

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
I think he is mostly absent since a year. He made a few posts in September, but even before that a dry spell of a few month. So seems likely that he left this board, Japan or both.
Maybe having a worthy successor in @Sinapse to hold the ground for the nampa crowd may have eased the decision. ;)

Well, maybe Solong has passed on the crown to me lol.

tumblr_m8t7hmCdNv1rrhg9uo1_400.jpg

I have many Japanese friends but mostly are people who had live abroad (as exchange student, volunteer, master degrees...). Those stupid racist Japanese people that unfortunately you get into at the streets or public places are very "closed minded" people that were taught since kids to discriminate anything that is not "common or normal" to them.

This is not an excuse, but even between locals there are discrimination issues too! I heard that families that moved from Fukushima after the Tsunami, their kids were bullied by other kids, saying horrible things like: "Do not come close to me! you will get me sick with your radiation!"

My cousins were bullied too! Even though they are 100% Japanese (by ethnicity) but born or raised outside Japan, they were bullied and discriminate as kids or teenagers. If they are "hafu" the things get worse!

I usually hang out with "Nikkei" friends (Brazilian, Peruvian, Argentinian....) and we speak Spanish or a mix of Spanish with Portuguese (something I call "Portunol").
I would like to share an experience:
Once I was dating a third generation Brazilian Nikkei (Nikkei Sansei, who barely look Japanese) and we were speaking in Spanish and sometimes English inside the train. There was a middle aged guy staring at us with a disgust look. I believe my date didn't notice it but I was aware and decided to ignore him. We were standing the whole trip because the train was kind of crowded. When we arrived at Shibuya Station the guy stood up of his seat, bump me hard with his shoulder (almost like a football tackle) and kicked my date's umbrella so the umbrella was thrown out of the train to the platform. The guy didn't say a single word and ignored what he just did, I got furious, chased him and confronted him. The guy was surprised that I speak Japanese and firmly asked what was wrong with him. In a couple of seconds, two securities from the train station came and I explained everything to them. It was a "sweet vengeance" as he had to apologize and I know "losing the face" and being embarrassed in public is any Japanese worst nightmare.
I was so angry that I completely forgot about my date or where she was when I was arguing with the stupid guy, but she was just couple of meters away from the scene, staring me with bright eyes like I was his knight in a shiny armor, defending the damsel in distress.
After that, I had an amazing date!

So I encourage you (guys from TAG) that with those stupid Japanese people who believe they are better than others, just ignore them or humiliate them in front of people, so they will think twice before doing anything racist again.

I have many Japanese friends but mostly are people who had live abroad (as exchange student, volunteer, master degrees...). Those stupid racist Japanese people that unfortunately you get into at the streets or public places are very "closed minded" people that were taught since kids to discriminate anything that is not "common or normal" to them.

This is not an excuse, but even between locals there are discrimination issues too! I heard that families that moved from Fukushima after the Tsunami, their kids were bullied by other kids, saying horrible things like: "Do not come close to me! you will get me sick with your radiation!"

My cousins were bullied too! Even though they are 100% Japanese (by ethnicity) but born or raised outside Japan, they were bullied and discriminate as kids or teenagers. If they are "hafu" the things get worse!

I usually hang out with "Nikkei" friends (Brazilian, Peruvian, Argentinian....) and we speak Spanish or a mix of Spanish with Portuguese (something I call "Portunol").
I would like to share an experience:
Once I was dating a third generation Brazilian Nikkei (Nikkei Sansei, who barely look Japanese) and we were speaking in Spanish and sometimes English inside the train. There was a middle aged guy staring at us with a disgust look. I believe my date didn't notice it but I was aware and decided to ignore him. We were standing the whole trip because the train was kind of crowded. When we arrived at Shibuya Station the guy stood up of his seat, bump me hard with his shoulder (almost like a football tackle) and kicked my date's umbrella so the umbrella was thrown out of the train to the platform. The guy didn't say a single word and ignored what he just did, I got furious, chased him and confronted him. The guy was surprised that I speak Japanese and firmly asked what was wrong with him. In a couple of seconds, two securities from the train station came and I explained everything to them. It was a "sweet vengeance" as he had to apologize and I know "losing the face" and being embarrassed in public is any Japanese worst nightmare.
I was so angry that I completely forgot about my date or where she was when I was arguing with the stupid guy, but she was just couple of meters away from the scene, staring me with bright eyes like I was his knight in a shiny armor, defending the damsel in distress.
After that, I had an amazing date!

So I encourage you (guys from TAG) that with those stupid Japanese people who believe they are better than others, just ignore them or humiliate them in front of people, so they will think twice before doing anything racist again.

Well, the problem is a lot of people on here seem to believe that racism and xenophobia don't exist in Japan lol.

Well, the problem is a lot of people on here seem to believe that racism and xenophobia don't exist in Japan lol.

Name one person in TAG who claimed that please. Should be easy, it's all written.

Reactions: John Chavers
Name one person in TAG who claimed that please. Should be easy, it's all written.

While nobody directly said "There is no racism/xenophobia in Japan" it is like saying someone isn't racist unless they specifically say "I'm racist!" which is ridiculous.

Solong and I have posted stories about situations where Japanese were being racist/xenophobic toward us without a doubt and yet people on here just dismiss it as paranoia, thinking such situations are impossible. It is fucking retarded lol.

situations where Japanese were being racist/xenophobic toward us without a doubt

Undoubtedly there is racism in Japan. But as long as they show it by odd coughing instead of, for example, pinning me on a cross and burning I think I can take it.

Another thing is some people seem to encounter more racists Japanese in one week than I have managed in three decades.

For some people the pint is half full, for some it is half empty. For me it's mostly all empty as I just gulped it down because it's time to head for the love hotel.

Status
Not open for further replies.