Guest viewing is limited

Regarding 住民税

chun011980

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Would like to use this popular site to ask a question that I have been thinking for quite some time.

We all know that 住民税 is calculated by your earnings from the previous year and then determine how much you need to pay.

My question is, what happens if I were leaving Japan this year, before the amount that I need to pay is finalized? You usually get the letter that shows how much you need pay by around June, if people leave Japan before that, how can they pay this?

Anyone had similar question and found the answer that would like to share?

Thanks in advance

Hey guys,

Would like to use this popular site to ask a question that I have been thinking for quite some time.

We all know that 住民税 is calculated by your earnings from the previous year and then determine how much you need to pay.

My question is, what happens if I were leaving Japan this year, before the amount that I need to pay is finalized? You usually get the letter that shows how much you need pay by around June, if people leave Japan before that, how can they pay this?

Anyone had similar question and found the answer that would like to share?

Thanks in advance

You are supposed to sign out at the local town / ward office. And where I live, they fix it up on the spot.

Last edited:
what happens if I were leaving Japan this year, before the amount that I need to pay is finalized?
In addition to your visit to city hall, it's generally a good idea to appoint a tax representative, who will be able to handle any issues that arise in the next tax year after your departure and make payment on your behalf (or receive any refunds). Assuming you may intend to return in the future, it's never nice to return to an outstanding tax bill.

Reactions: chun011980
You are supposed to sign out at the local town / ward office. And where I live, the fix it up on the spot.
You should go to local tax office and city office as well. Ask to the tax office a certificate about you have cleared all taxes. Go to your embassy to be removed from the resident list and confirm with them you have cleared all documents and requirements to leave Japan. Otherwise you may have problems next time you will return to Japan.

Reactions: chun011980
May I please know whether you have also appointmented a tax representative as others suggested?

Thank you
I`m just going on what happens to our staff when they go home. No one has needed to appoint a tax representative in the past.
If you've been here long term, then you may need to settle tax payments, but I imagine it would be pro rata up until the day you check out.

I presume you are only referring 住民税 (and had your company take care of your other taxes). If you run a business, or file your own tax return you may have more to take care of.

I`m just going on what happens to our staff when they go home. No one has needed to appoint a tax representative in the past.
If you've been here long term, then you may need to settle tax payments, but I imagine it would be pro rata up until the day you check out.

I presume you are only referring 住民税 (and had your company take care of your other taxes). If you run a business, or file your own tax return you may have more to take care of.

Thanks again for your reply.

I assume my case is quite straightforward as I am employed by a company, which means my tax are all been taking care of, just the residential tax a bit confusing, since it is based on the previous year's income.

Thanks again

The jumin-zei is calculated on the confirmed income of a calendar year for a person who resides in Japan on Jan 1 in the next year. If you remove your residency status and leave Japan before December 31, you will not be taxed the jumin-zei of that year.

More specifically, if you leave Japan before December 31 this year, you won't be taxed the jumin-zei for 2020. However, you need to pay the jumin-zei for 2019 that you usually pay by installments directly to the municipality or through your employer over a year period from May 2020 to April 2021. If you are paying the jumin-zei directly to the municipality, they will ask you to pay the amount due from the month you leave Japan to April 2021 when you go to the municipality office to remove your residency in Japan. The employer usually deducts the whole amount due from the month you quit to April 2021 from your last payslip.

If you leave Japan after Jan 1, 2021 on, you are liable to pay the jyumin-zei for 2020 for which they will send the bill in May 2021. In this case you need to appoint a tax agent who can handle the payment.

The jumin-zei is calculated on the confirmed income of a calendar year for a person who resides in Japan on Jan 1 in the next year. If you remove your residency status and leave Japan before December 31, you will not be taxed the jumin-zei of that year.

More specifically, if you leave Japan before December 31 this year, you won't be taxed the jumin-zei for 2020. However, you need to pay the jumin-zei for 2019 that you usually pay by installments directly to the municipality or through your employer over a year period from May 2020 to April 2021. If you are paying the jumin-zei directly to the municipality, they will ask you to pay the amount due from the month you leave Japan to April 2021 when you go to the municipality office to remove your residency in Japan. The employer usually deducts the whole amount due from the month you quit to April 2021 from your last payslip.

If you leave Japan after Jan 1, 2021 on, you are liable to pay the jyumin-zei for 2020 for which they will send the bill in May 2021. In this case you need to appoint a tax agent who can handle the payment.

Thank you very much for the detailed information.

Regarding tax agent, does this 税理士 mean tax agent in kanji? Not sure how accurate is Mr. Google translate.

Thank you

Reactions: Joe2017 and Sudsy

pretty sure the best advice on japanese tax, legal, visa, mortgages, tv license etc etc ive gotten is all from this website.