Guest viewing is limited

Reinventing the clock

SugoiBoy

TAG Member
Reaction score
One of the things about Japan that I find amusing is how certain businesses have reinvented the clock.

For example, the other day I saw a sign for a pub that said that the establishment was open until 26:00.

For example, the other day I saw a sign for a pub that said that the establishment was open until 26:00.

Yeah, that's very common. It actually makes sense when some event starts after midnight. If you write Wednesday at 1AM it is pretty much guaranteed many people will show up Wednesday night.

But if you instead write Tuesday 25:00 then everyone understands to get ready on Tuesday night.

I've heard Hollywood uses this also when making movies as some shots might be in the middle of night. Though their clock is supposed to have 48 hours and just then reset.

One of the things about Japan that I find amusing is how certain businesses have reinvented the clock.

I'm all for giving credit where it's due but this is of western origin with military time.

I'm all for giving credit where it's due but this is of western origin with military time.
But the point is that you don't really see the usage in a business setting outside of Japan... at least I haven't seen it.

Don’t forget the time of day when some businesses close...@last train..or at some businesses @we don’t have any available girls.... I hate that time of the day...

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Really? I thought military time was 0 to 24 hours. Saturday 2600 would be Sunday 0200 in military time,right? The Japanese way is more civilized. Civilized people know that Sunday doesnt start until about 10AM with eggs benidict and a mimosa. Until then it is still Saturday night.

Reactions: SugoiBoy
Really? I thought military time was 0 to 24 hours. Saturday 2600 would be Sunday 0200 in military time,right?

That's correct. Except with Marine's where midnight is when Mickey's hands are on top of each other.

Really? I thought military time was 0 to 24 hours. Saturday 2600 would be Sunday 0200 in military time,right? The Japanese way is more civilized. Civilized people know that Sunday doesnt start until about 10AM with eggs benidict and a mimosa. Until then it is still Saturday night.
It's just one of things I've heard from veterans since forever ago