Renewing your passport while living in Japan

impish

TAG Member
Reaction score
My US passport expires in October. I am not sure what the process is for renewing mine other than filling out the forms. I know that the last time I went to the Embassy (20 years ago while on vacation) I needed my passport to get in and out of the Embassy, so if I go there to renew how does that work? Is there anything I need to do after I get my new US passport with the Japanese Immigration services?

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow
My US passport expires in October. I am not sure what the process is for renewing mine other than filling out the forms. I know that the last time I went to the Embassy (20 years ago while on vacation) I needed my passport to get in and out of the Embassy, so if I go there to renew how does that work? Is there anything I need to do after I get my new US passport with the Japanese Immigration services?
Have you gone to their website to see what’s needed?

https://jp.usembassy.gov/

You know, my first response was... "Why the hell are you asking this on a mongering forum?"

But then I realised - you're about to deal with the government, which is pretty much a guarantee of being solidly fucked.

Be sure to write a review.

If your passport is going to expire by the time you go to the embassy, I'm sure they would give you some letter to enter. You can also just call and ask, but you have to figure a way to get through their automated answers when you push buttons. Talking to a real person there that actually talks back and answers your question will be a fun experience.

I renewed my passport by mail... took about about 12-14 days, no fuss. Didn’t need to go to the embassy at all. I sent them the application, old passport, payment by postal money order, new pictures and a prepaid return Japan post registered mail pack.

https://jp.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/passport-renewals/

Scroll to renew by mail, 16 and up.

As far as your visa goes, I think that’s all done by zairyu card now? I’m under PR status and there’s nothing in my current passport that says that.

If you still use a visa stamp, then I guess you’d need to have it transferred to the new passport.

Edit: They'll send your old passport back with the new one, with holes punched through it to show that it's cancelled.

Last edited:
You know, my first response was... "Why the hell are you asking this on a mongering forum?"

Because I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has gone through the process. While I understand what the US embassy site says about filling form X, and going to the embassy or mailing it. It doesn't say what the experience is like getting in and out of the embassy. As far as the Japanese immigration website goes it's fairly useless.

I renewed my passport by mail... took about about 12-14 days, no fuss. Didn’t need to go to the embassy at all. I sent them the application, old passport, payment by postal money order, new pictures and a prepaid return Japan post registered mail pack.

As far as your visa goes, I think that’s all done by zairyu card now? I’m under PR status and there’s nothing in my current passport that says that.

If you still use a visa stamp, then I guess you’d need to have it transferred to the new passport.

Edit: They'll send your old passport back with the new one, with holes punched through it to show that it's cancelled.

When you send your application did you print it out on A4 paper? or do you have access to US Letter paper?

When you send your application did you print it out on A4 paper? or do you have access to US Letter paper?
I just printed it on what I had, which was probably the standard A4 paper in the office printer.
The pictures on the other hand, I had to go to a passport photo shop that makes the size requested for the U.S. passport.
It seemed, at the time, that the little self-photo booths found around stations didn't make the right size photo for what was requested.

I just printed it on what I had, which was probably the standard A4 paper in the office printer.
The pictures on the other hand, I had to go to a passport photo shop that makes the size requested for the U.S. passport.
It seemed, at the time, that the little self-photo booths found around stations didn't make the right size photo for what was requested.

I'll probably just throw up a white background and do it myself and have the photo store print it out, then use a razor knife to cut it out to the right size. I've done that in the past before for renewal (back in the US).

Reactions: MikeH
Interesting, I just got back from the post office, and in order to get an international money order, you have to bring your "my number" card with you. Japan is the most fucked up bureaucratic society ever...

Interesting, I just got back from the post office, and in order to get an international money order, you have to bring your "my number" card with you. Japan is the most fucked up bureaucratic society ever...
Yeah, the embassy site says so...

You can do passport renewal by mail as previously advised, go to USA Embassy (pain in the ass cuz no bags allowed inside)... You can get your photo from one of those photobooths scattered around Tokyo (1 in Hiroo Station after ticket gate)... Just make sure include prepaid postal envelope... If you need fast service they have "Emergency Passport" good for 1 year same day service, but limited on where you can enter (Indonesia Not Possible)

You can do passport renewal by mail as previously advised, go to USA Embassy (pain in the ass cuz no bags allowed inside)... You can get your photo from one of those photo booths scattered around Tokyo (1 in Hiroo Station after the ticket gate)... Just make sure include prepaid postal envelope... If you need fast service they have "Emergency Passport" good for 1 year same day service, but limited on where you can enter (Indonesia Not Possible)

Thing is I am in Tokyo maybe once every 3 months so that's a bit of a pain to just get a photo. I am going to do it by mail, but I'll have to find another way to get a passport photo. I know the size is 51mm^2 so I'm going to look at the machines local to me to see if they offer a size that is similar (ie maybe a little bigger) and if they do I'll just do a manual crop with a razor knife.

Japan is the most fucked up bureaucratic society ever...

I am pretty sure that comparison includes exactly two countries. :D

And one of those countries was responsible for forcing every other nation to accept their new rules trying to prevent money laundering to terrorists, which then also changed the way the other one is handling international money orders now. Thus you get the requirement for My ID.

Of course the real problem here is the antiqued way your country is handling the renewal of passports. They probably haven't noticed new things like email and internet. In countries that have you can just submit all the required stuff electronically, do the payment through net banking and then wait for the mailman to bring your new passport to you. :cool:

Reactions: Frenchy and BB0523
I am pretty sure that comparison includes exactly two countries. :D

And one of those countries was responsible for forcing every other nation to accept their new rules trying to prevent money laundering to terrorists, which then also changed the way the other one is handling international money orders now. Thus you get the requirement for My ID.

Of course the real problem here is the antiqued way your country is handling the renewal of passports. They probably haven't noticed new things like email and internet. In countries that have you can just submit all the required stuff electronically, do the payment through net banking and then wait for the mailman to bring your new passport to you. :cool:

I don't diagree the US is fucked up in it's own special way....

I just did it. I think I got it back 7 business days after I dropped it in the mail. Super fast I thought.

I just did it. I think I got it back 7 business days after I dropped it in the mail. Super fast I thought.

When I got my first passport back in 1999 it only took a week to get, I was super surprised, I was expecting a month or two...

Thing is I am in Tokyo maybe once every 3 months so that's a bit of a pain to just get a photo. I am going to do it by mail, but I'll have to find another way to get a passport photo. I know the size is 51mm^2 so I'm going to look at the machines local to me to see if they offer a size that is similar (ie maybe a little bigger) and if they do I'll just do a manual crop with a razor knife.

カメラのキタムラ does ID photos of various sizes. There are quite a few of them in the suburbs, too.

Reactions: SugoiBoy and impish
I did this while here.
If you don’t have a drivers license remember to keep your old passport. It still is needed for proof in some cases.
I got mine back pretty quick & no hassles.

Exactly how I renewed my passport two years ago. Simple and easy.

Reactions: TAG Manager
Sweet, we have one in the local mall, I'll go check them out this week. Thanks.

How about printing the pic yourself? I've submitted several pics like that for official use and nobody said anything. The good thing is you can get them any size pics they get in their minds to ask easily.

How about printing the pic yourself? I've submitted several pics like that for official use and nobody said anything. The good thing is you can get them any size pics they get in their minds to ask easily.
Including dick pics?