Guest viewing is limited

Retreat, Shinjuku Happening Bar

Solong

TAG Member
Reaction score
Rating: 3 stars out of 5

On the fence about this bar, and if should give a lower rating. Very borderline, but has to do more with their staff, as the design of the bar is good. Might be worth a look, for those swingers looking for or trying different places.

Good points:

1) Nice interior, nice decor.

2) Has nice semi-private tables/booths with curtains.

Great for having private conversations with women new to the club or lifestyle.

3) Will allow foreigners.

But, they will check if you speak Japanese or have been to other happening bars. If you tell them you are a member of Bliss Out or other HB they know, they are more likely to allow you in.

4) Good for inviting your friends for swinger parties.

5) Action does happen.

Unpredictable, but does occur.

6) Besides the playroom, they have a partially hidden couch area/room. Sometimes people play there, and not in the playroom, and is a fun feature of the club.

Bad points:

1) Photocopying IDs.

Has been a while since I went, so policy might have changed. Hopefully so.

2) Doesn't allow female members, to bring male guests, if signed up as single member.

Once a female signs up as a single member, she can never come in as a couple. Women have to choose which, and many women don't know the policy until too late or after already signing up. This is a bad management practice, and self-defeating greediness. If she is already a member, you must enter, as if separate.

Other Happening Bars are not so strict.

3) Staff can be overly aggressive

The staff can act more like bouncers at a disco, then at a happening bar. This can create a vibe of rudeness and takeaway from the fun of coming.

4) Overly controlling of playroom

Staff appears to have limited understanding about swinging, and are more interested in arbitrary control of customers that at times borders on illogical and pointless.

For example, there are 2 playrooms. Couples have to choose which, and then can only play in that one, and not switch to the other until they exit. After you exit the playroom area, then you can switch to the other. This makes no sense whatsoever, however is the bar's policy. Sometimes they apply the policy, sometimes not, thus very arbitrary and confusing.

Single males are not allowed to enter the playrooms nor allowed to watch (so they paid for?), unless invited by a couple, which the staff will double check. Sometimes this checking can be overly excessive.

5) Don't usually expect action there, unless you are bringing a lady or you get lucky. If you are a single guy, the less Japanese you speak, the more difficult it can be.

6) Some Japanese can be anti-foreigner/racist, particularly an issue for single foreign guys. So yes, coming as a couple is better.

Website
http://retreatbar.jp

Approximate and not exact, but near. Look for the Lizon building. Bar is downstairs.
160-0021 Tokyo-to, Sinjuku-ku, Kabukicho, 2 Chome-35-3

https://goo.gl/maps/3pwJi (Google Maps)

Last edited:
We recently visited Retreat Bar (my girl, Japanese, 20s and me, early 30s Asian American) and I have to say this is one of the best happening clubs in Tokyo.
We might have been lucky, but the crowd that night was quite young and friendly (and not creepy). The staff was well mannered and friendly. Overall the vibe is very decent. The management tries to create a nice, relaxing lounge atmosphere (lounge/electronic music, soft lighting, cocktails). This is by far the best looking happening bar in Tokyo.
Our IDs were checked but not photocopied. The bouncer joked with us and showed us around. Most staff is in their 30s.
It might depend on the event, but most customers were in their late 20s, student/young professional type.
There was some action (couples, groups of 4/5 people). We were approached by two couples asking about swinging/orgy.
It is true that you have to ask before entering the playroom. I am just guessing but I imaging that some couples/groups are asking for privacy and therefore the staff checks where and when you can enter the room (once you're in the room, you're free to play as much as you want). There is a partially hidden couch room where you can also kind of play (unlike play room, you cannot ejaculate there).
I would definitely recommend this place.

Lucky you.
When I went there, there were simply too many guys. There was only one other woman besides myself. She was not interested in action but guys were too desperate, didn't respect me at all.
My partner didn't enjoy it, either.
Anyway, it really depends on the day just like any other bars.

Lucky you.
When I went there, there were simply too many guys. There was only one other woman besides myself. She was not interested in action but guys were too desperate, didn't respect me at all.
My partner didn't enjoy it, either.
Anyway, it really depends on the day just like any other bars.
The last time I went it was also full of Japanese guys. Around 25 guys, and only 2 women. Absolutely ridiculous. My lady friend joked it must be gay night or something. So many guys and few women made her uncomfortable.

1 woman was part of a couple and with a guy, but they left soon too. The other woman was odd, by herself and wasn't talking to anybody. Some of the guys were way too aggressive and were highly annoying. Probably because of no women. Had a guy literally interrupt me and my lady friend while we were kissing in the side room before the playroom. We decided to leave and went to Olive 21, we had a great time there.

Maybe it was a bad night, but had similar experiences 2X in a row. This lopsided ratio is unusual for a happening bar, so can't say for sure what was up with that.

Is it actually allowed for two girls to enter together? I would like to try this out with my best friend when she visits me later this year.
I'm not sure about Retreat, but probably OK. It is OK at Bliss Out. Happening Bars tend to be lenient with bisexual or lesbian women. However, they tend towards not tolerating openly gay or bisexual men, as more a danger of a fight or heterosexual couples leaving.

Also, for Couple Kissas (that I know of), single women (or men) or gay couples are not allowed in.

Last edited: