RIP Eddie Van Halen

65 of cancer. Saw him live once (huge venue far away) but was still awesome.

Just heard it on the radio. Between that and the news that Miran is shutting down possibly going into retirement, the future is looking very bleak, indeed. I think I'll leave work early today, maybe pick up a handle of Hendrick's gin and a prosciutto/cheese tray from Costco and go rub one out while watching the area MILFs stretching at the park. Maybe have a cigar on the rooftop and spy on the neighbors. Always makes me feel better.

Hmmmm......drink and rub one out over EVH passing.............and I thought I walked to the beat of a different drummer.

Just heard it on the radio. Between that and the news that Miran is shutting down possibly going into retirement, the future is looking very bleak, indeed. I think I'll leave work early today, maybe pick up a handle of Hendrick's gin and a prosciutto/cheese tray from Costco and go rub one out while watching the area MILFs stretching at the park. Maybe have a cigar on the rooftop and spy on the neighbors. Always makes me feel better.
Sounds like a normal day to me.:p

Gotta admit, I'm not really that broken up. He was a good guitarist, but personality-wise, he was about on the same level as Ted Nugent - a raging asshole.

If he hadn't been continually driving wedges into every relationship in the band, they (the original lineup) would have made so much more of their combined talents.

From popularising “finger tapping” to modding out his axes, here’s how Eddie Van Halen helped redefine the vocabulary of rock guitar
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/eddie-van-halen-guitar-tribute-777320/
EECBC3DD-9A84-4FD6-BCFC-84061850CC43.jpeg

Gotta admit, I'm not really that broken up. He was a good guitarist, but personality-wise, he was about on the same level as Ted Nugent - a raging asshole.

If he hadn't been continually driving wedges into every relationship in the band, they (the original lineup) would have made so much more of their combined talents.

I would assume most celebrities are major assholes, whether they be musicians or actors or anything else famous. I haven't met many famous musicians but I have met a lot of famous politicians and they're probably cut from the same cloth--egomaniacal assholes who get off on performing before a crowd. Add natural talent to the mix and that only makes them more unstable and unpredictable.

The only two celebrities who frequent my current town and are said to be genuinely nice are Kirk Hammett and Adam Sandler. I've heard Hammett will stop and sign autographs for any kid who actually recognizes him, and a friend of mine used to sell Sandler weed at his hotel. He'd get high, walk to a nearby public basketball court and ask random strangers if he could jump in their games.

Once, while riding the monorail in downtown Seattle, I realized that the guy standing next to me with his kids in a hoodie and sunglasses was Kevin Bacon, and only because he said something to his kids and he obviously has a very distinct voice. I turned to look at him, he noticed me staring at him, then I just put my head down. He obviously didn't want to be made. And I'm not sure what I could've said. This was just after Wild Things came out, so maybe,"So did you actually fuck Denise Richards??" or "Does Neve Campbell have nice tits??" but I doubt he or his kids would've appreciated that.

And that's about the full extent of my celebrity encounters in real life.

Reactions: UnicornHunter
I've met/worked with/for quite a few famous musicians and it's all case by case.

The only two celebrities who frequent my current town and are said to be genuinely nice are Kirk Hammett and Adam Sandler.
I haven't met that many, but they've mostly been really nice people. Dave Grohl is a good dude. He's the guy most rock stars should aspire to be. Dave and Dirk from Megadeth are really cool as well, ran into them in a bar after one of their shows (Mustaine was back at the hotel being sober) and they spent the whole evening hanging out asking questions about Japan and talking metal and punk. David Lee Roth was pretty cool too (he lives in Tokyo off and on, don't be surprised if you run into him here). And Janet Jackson was an absolute sweetheart, even after I confessed to not liking her music.

I haven't met that many, but they've mostly been really nice people. Dave Grohl is a good dude. He's the guy most rock stars should aspire to be. Dave and Dirk from Megadeth are really cool as well, ran into them in a bar after one of their shows (Mustaine was back at the hotel being sober) and they spent the whole evening hanging out asking questions about Japan and talking metal and punk. David Lee Roth was pretty cool too (he lives in Tokyo off and on, don't be surprised if you run into him here). And Janet Jackson was an absolute sweetheart, even after I confessed to not liking her music.

By the time I arrived in Seattle, it had already been a number of years since Cobain blew his head off so the remaining members of the band had since fled and Grohl was already doing Foo Fighters. However, I lived right in the epicenter of the music scene and I'd heard from a number of people that Grohl was a pretty decent guy. Actually most of the band (minus the singer) were supposed to be pretty nice. But one of the things I always looked forward to while living in Japan was the opportunities to see has-been rock stars "stooping" to playing small shows and venues in Tokyo and Osaka. For a $50 ticket I got to stand maybe five yards from Slash and watch him freestyle. Never cared for Megadeth but always figured they did Japan shows since ESP was making a custom Mustaine guitar at one point. Always thought he was a jerkoff but I have enjoyed his foray into politics with his homophobic and anti-Democrat rants ever since he went all cranky holy-roller. And I think even if I sat next to DLR at a bar counter I wouldn't recognize him. Probably write him off as some douchebag lifer teaching English at an all-girls private junior college.

But if Tiffany (Darwish) ever plays a show in Japan I'm flying back with front-row tickets. Get drunk as fuck and have a sly nostalgia wank in the audience while pretending I'm in 4th grade again. Same goes for Debbie Gibson.

I’ve met several over the years.

Kareem Abdul Jabbar when I was working at a hotel. His room was filled with weed smoke, and his blonde companion was hot.

The doctor from Love Boat (forgot his name) - all I remember from delivering food to his room was the camcorder on tripod aimed at the bed and the pair of handcuffs dangling from a bedpost.

Briefly met Schwarzenegger when we had to assist him with a conference call - He’s a lot shorter in real life.

Nicest one was working with Tia Carrere a few years ago on a music interview show - still smokin hot after all these years.:love:

I was going to come here and post that. His finest moment.

That's pretty much the only thing VH ever produced that I actually liked. They play it on the local radio a couple times a week while I'm on the road, and no matter where I am I keep driving until the solo is over. But if I'm to be honest, of the soloists from that era, I've always preferred Randy Rhoads or John Sykes. And even in his old age, I still consider Dave Gilmour to be the greatest living guitarist. Nobody can bend or hold a note like he still can and he's gotten better with age. You watch some of his more recent live ad-libbing during Comfortably Numb and that shit is like going to church. I just wish I was 19 again and could fuck random girls in my dorm room to that soundtrack. Certainly better than the Titanic Soundtrack CD we used to use to drop panties way back when.

That's pretty much the only thing VH ever produced that I actually liked. They play it on the local radio a couple times a week while I'm on the road, and no matter where I am I keep driving until the solo is over. But if I'm to be honest, of the soloists from that era, I've always preferred Randy Rhoads or John Sykes. And even in his old age, I still consider Dave Gilmour to be the greatest living guitarist. Nobody can bend or hold a note like he still can and he's gotten better with age. You watch some of his more recent live ad-libbing during Comfortably Numb and that shit is like going to church. I just wish I was 19 again and could fuck random girls in my dorm room to that soundtrack. Certainly better than the Titanic Soundtrack CD we used to use to drop panties way back when.

aaaah fuck I wished we could finally agree on sthg but no... :)
Gilmour is a genius , but less so imho than Page and Beck

The only two celebrities who frequent my current town and are said to be genuinely nice are Kirk Hammett and Adam Sandler.
"Same goes for Debbie Gibson"

Kirk is big into selling original comic art and I delt with him directly on a few pieces I bought from him. Nicest person.

My sister-in-law went to elementary school with Adam.... small world....

As far as Debbie Gibson stories, at the height of her career, a metalhead friend of mine was obsessed with her. I was just learning how to paint in my 1st year in college and I smugly boasted that I could get him back stage to meet her by painting her portrait. (Not knowing how difficult this would be)
Did the portrait, both of us went to the closest show to us (carrying a 16 x 24 canvas). After the show we begged a stage manager to let us backstage. He took the painting and went away for a minute, came back and told us to follow him. He led us to a loooong hallway with about mostlly 50 young girls in line to see Debbie. A few seconds later, one of her dancers came flying by and snatched the painting and ran off. A minute later, the stage manager came out and said, "OK you 2, she wants to see you".
So we cut the line and got in. Long story short, she was there with her mother and manager. We spent a long time chit chating etc. She just loved the painting. We both got autograph pics and got pics of ourselves with her. During our goodbyes when she took our hand for a shake, I impromptu pulled her close and kissed her on the cheek! (My metalhead friend was aghast as he didn't think to do that.)

I found out later that she hung the painting in her home studio. Later I heard her studio burnt down and most likely the painting never survived but I don't know for certain.

Until the other day, I didn’t realize that Eddie Van Halen was half Indonesian. For years I just assumed that he was only Dutch. Yet, looking at some of his photos now, I should have spotted the Asian ancestry.

Apparently, he had to deal with quite a bit of racism as a boy after his family moved from the Netherlands to the USA.

European musicians are generally very nice people too. Some guys from the north are rumored to be “racist” merely because they’re not accustomed to the amount of physical contact in South Europe or Latin American countries but I think it’s just their culture, not racism. Some people are not big fans of a kiss on the cheek or strong hugs.
I’ve heard Marilyn Manson is a total pain in the ass. Temper tantrums, yelling at venue staff, aggressive sometimes violent behavior and is rumored to prey on underage girls. The shock value act is getting old. Since we are on topic I’ve never liked the alcoholic drug abuser types who are too much into the party lifestyle.
Please don’t sue me Marilyn Manson

Last edited:
European musicians are generally very nice people too. Some guys from the north are rumored to be “racist” merely because they’re not accustomed to the amount of physical contact in South Europe or Latin American countries but I think it’s just their culture, not racism. Some people are not big fans of a kiss on the cheek or strong hugs.
I’ve heard Marilyn Manson is a total pain in the ass. Temper tantrums, yelling at venue staff, aggressive sometimes violent behavior and is rumored to prey on underage girls. The shock value act is getting old. Since we are on topic I’ve never liked the alcoholic drug abuser types who are too much into the party lifestyle.
Please don’t sue me Marilyn Manson
$10 dollars to a donut MM learned that behavior from the Beach Boys.....at least the ones that were still coherent. :)

$10 dollars to a donut MM learned that behavior from the Beach Boys.....at least the ones that were still coherent. :)
I’ve always found him scary looking, and hate to say this but plain old ugly inside & outside. (I don’t feel apprehensive about calling this person ugly because his ugly behavior just amplifies his lack of physical attractiveness)
That make up looks so horrible on him. Not everyone can pull off wearing manliner like Ville Valo :p
Can you tell that I’m really, really appalled by MM?

I’ve always found him scary looking, and hate to say this but plain old ugly inside & outside. (I don’t feel apprehensive about calling this person ugly because his ugly behavior just amplifies his lack of physical attractiveness)
That make up looks so horrible on him. Not everyone can pull off wearing manliner like Ville Valo :p
Can you tell that I’m really, really appalled by MM?
Yeah, I personally don't read books by their covers either :p

Reactions: Simonka