Safe to continue mass gainer or whey protein shakes while taking Clarithromycin?

As far as I know your liver is responsible for breaking down protein. It could be overloading for your liver if you take antibiotics at the same time. Same reason why you are advised not to drink while you're on antibiotics. I'm not sure about "whey", but basic liver logic says stay away until you're done with antibiotics

This is one of my main concerns and why I posted this.

I agree with this and haven't been taking mass gainer or whey protein at all.

I'm just getting my protein from meat and vegetables, which is what I do even when drinking the shakes.

As far as I know your liver is responsible for breaking down protein.

Not exactly: The initial protein breakdown occurs in the stomach, this is then further broken down in the small intestine by enzymes from the liver and the pancreas. The enzymes from the liver and pancreas are stored in the gall bladder until needed, and there's usually quite a buffer - it's not a simple "on demand" system. Protein ingestion at any useful level (see below) does not tax the liver, especially over the short term (days) a bout of antibiotics will run. You'll tax your kidneys long before you'll tax your liver with excess protein ingestion, and you'll suffer other ill effects before that, like constant dehydration, decreased athletic performance, and constipation.

As long as you're not grossly exceeding the recommended intakes (between 1g and 2g of protein daily per kilogram of body mass) you're not likely to see any ill effects at all. And honestly, the constipation will hit before you do any lasting damage in a week or two.

One exception is if you're on an ultra low carb diet (under 20g per day) and have low body fat levels - if you significantly suppress your blood serum glucose levels and glycogen levels (over-training or overconsumption of alcohol are common ways to induce this) and don't have sufficient fat stores to recover energy from fat, then your body will attempt to convert amino acids and lipids to glucose through a process called gluconeogensis. This is fairly taxing for the liver if it happens often, and would be a bad combination with any kind of strong antibiotic. That's not really an issue to do with levels of protein intake, though, more to do with overall diet management.

Edit: Those recommended intakes are based on bodily needs driven by activity, 2g/kg of body mass is what you should be ingesting if you're bodybuilding/strength training, 1-1.2g/kg is sufficient for most people who aren't exercising strenuously.

Sudsy has alot of gall to write a post like that. Gets my bile up.

Yeah, it fucks up the whole thread when someone goes and writes something that actually makes sense.

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow