Guest viewing is limited

Safe to visit?

Dattebayo

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a trip to Tokyo coming up in a few weeks and would like to know what you (those that live there) think about the situation there. Is it safe to visit?

Yes, I am paying close attention to the news, but you never know what to believe. I wasn't going to give it a second thought until they decided to close the schools and what not.

Reactions: Hikaruparker
If you're under 60 and healthy, the biggest risk you face is being put in quarantine when you go home.

What he said... This is getting way overblown.... it's really getting to be annoying now. (like it wasn't before, but now we're just getting stupid...)

What will happen to all the kids that are let out of school? Parents would have to stay home from work, but what about the ones who cant?

The funny thing (in not so funny way) is what happens to the hospitals when all the nurses are home taking care of their kids who can't go to school?

There was actually less masked people in the train today than yesterday. Maybe everyone is just now given up, we'll all gonna die anyway.

Costco emailed me telling they have no more toilet paper. This is the end of the world as we know it.

Hi all, I have a trip to Tokyo coming up in a few weeks and would like to know what you (those that live there) think about the situation there. Is it safe to visit?

Yes, I am paying close attention to the news, but you never know what to believe. I wasn't going to give it a second thought until they decided to close the schools and what not.
Are you American? Maybe there is a risk of quarantine if you’re from USA but the virus is already spreading in Europe (where there is virtually no borders between EU countries.) Middle East and Asia. Again there is still the risk of quarantine if you have high fever on your return trip.

Do you have parents over the age of 60? Any family member with underlying health issues?

Israel and some other small countries has banned all entry from Japan.

Last edited:
What will happen to all the kids that are let out of school? Parents would have to stay home from work, but what about the ones who cant?
They would have to have made arrangements for spring break anyway, so whatever plan that was. One of the companies I deal with sent a notice to its employees stating basically... "Well, since they closed the schools early for spring vacation, we're going to close too and ask you to work from home..." and so on... it read like they just figured it'd be easier to let people stay home and mind their kids.

Costco emailed me telling they have no more toilet paper. This is the end of the world as we know it.
Now that would be an interesting site... they usually have stacks of the stuff and I always wonder if their volume of sales is really that much. Well, I bought 2 mega-packs from Costco on my last trip. I have enough for about six months (or more) stashed away in my place.

My friend just took her kids to their grandma. And may God help single parents or double income homes who don’t have the option to take the kids to their grandparents.

Are you American? Maybe there is a risk of quarantine if you’re from USA but the virus is already spreading in Europe (where there is virtually no borders between EU countries.) Middle East and Asia.
Saw a decent article about that today: http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/13172091

Reactions: Simonka
Reverse influx makes sense but it’s still funny how all Asian countries are banning each other right now :D

And I can’t stress this enough, bring your toilet paper..

I’ve seen and heard people selling toilet paper on mercari and other sites now.....

They would have to have made arrangements for spring break anyway, so whatever plan that was.

Ever had kids? For a lot of people it ain't that easy. Around where I live the local children's center (児童館) provides somewhere to go during the day for kids who can't stay at home all the time during school holidays, if they close too there will be a lot of people on lower incomes needing to make difficult choices. (And if they don't close, having lots of kids from different schools in closer confines than the normal school environment is going to kind of negate the point of closing schools...)

Well, I bought 2 mega-packs from Costco on my last trip. I have enough for about six months (or more) stashed away in my place.
Jesus, no wonder there's none for anyone else :p

My friend just took her kids to their grandma. And may God help single parents or double income homes who don’t have the option to take the kids to their grandparents.
Here's a little secret...........God's not going to help :p

Ever had kids? For a lot of people it ain't that easy. Around where I live the local children's center (児童館) provides somewhere to go during the day for kids who can't stay at home all the time during school holidays, if they close too there will be a lot of people on lower incomes needing to make difficult choices. (And if they don't close, having lots of kids from different schools in closer confines than the normal school environment is going to kind of negate the point of closing schools...)
My comment didn't say it was easy.

Reactions: sugarcatwhite
The funny thing (in not so funny way) is what happens to the hospitals when all the nurses are home taking care of their kids who can't go to school?

There were actually less masked people on the train today than yesterday. Maybe everyone is just now given up, we'll all gonna die anyway.

Costco emailed me telling them they have no more toilet paper. This is the end of the world as we know it.

Some hospitals have daycare to nurses etc.
But the majority of the parent will need to stay at home or take kids to work...

We all gonna die eventually, that my answer when asking me if I am worried.

My comment didn't say it was easy.

That is certainly true, your comment didn't say that it was easy, but does give the impression you think bringing forward holiday arrangements at short notice is a viable default option, so I thought I'd point out that that's not the case for everyone :)

Last edited:
Are you American? Maybe there is a risk of quarantine if you’re from USA but the virus is already spreading in Europe (where there is virtually no borders between EU countries.) Middle East and Asia. Again there is still the risk of quarantine if you have high fever on your return trip.

Do you have parents over the age of 60? Any family member with underlying health issues?

I am American. My parents are both over 60, but they do not live with me.

Quaratine worries me a little, as I'm not sure what my job will say about me not showing up. Hopefully theyll be alright with it since itll help them out lol.

As long as things don’t suddenly get serious and a lot of people start dying, I’m pretty pumped for a cheap, less crowded Hanami season coming up... just me?

This is exactly the reason I planned this trip lol. Didnt think it was going to get this bad however.