Guest viewing is limited

Safe to visit?

Might be better to target the winter of 2022 though. It seems that this paper is just a proposal from the JATA and already from end of July. It shows the Business Tract restarting from September and this far nothing has happened with that.

The only new proposals I have heard are reducing the 14 day quarantine to 10 days and possible doing the vaccination passport thingie. Before we get any visitors here lots of faxes have to be send and new hanko ink needs to be purchased.

I have told every business traveller eager to come over to prepare it happens in February-March time frame next year. If anything happens sooner I will be absolutely flabbergasted. Happy but still flabbergasted.

That's the rumor around here. My other half has been anxious to come back and visit family and now that it looks like Delta is on its way down, and it sounds like they're reducing quarantine time to 10 days, she's planning on coming back for a month or so in November or December.

I'm trying to remain optimistic that I might be able to come up in January after the holiday season is over, but I would be absolutely stunned if that were possible. I mean, if Japanese officials woke up tomorrow with a shred of common sense and pragmatism, considering how desperately the country needs tourism money after that fuck-up of an Olympics, you would think they'd get on board with the rest of the (less infected, also) world develop a digital vaccination passport program for targeted partner countries and work out reciprocal agreements, institute clear pre-AND-post arrival test requirements and protocols and then set a firm re-opening date (say, 1/1/2022).

But that would just make too much sense and this is Japan. My guess is they'll drag their feet and be last in the first world to re-open, and only because Japan will--again--be facing international ridicule. And even when they do allow international visitors, it'll probably be in jackass "phases," and probably with some sort of racist undertones--at first, only "BUSINESS TRAVELERS" from East Asian countries; then perhaps leisure travelers from East Asian countries; and then, at long last and only when the rest of the civilized world is scoffing at them, perhaps those from major white people nations will finally be free to visit. Maybe if I appear before customs officials with squinted eyes and pull down my pants to prove my genuine Yamato blood status they'll issue me a waiver.

I mean, these are the stunted jerkoffs who actually proposed a vaccine passport agreement with the U.S. that would allow Japanese citizens to come and go as they please anywhere in America, but all Americans would still be banned from visiting Japan. Fucking morons.

On a side note, I'm just hoping that whenever Japan does re-open to tourism and I get my third/booster Pfizer shot to calm my OCD, the JR Rail Pass program is all up and running again at the same time. It's my understanding (and would seem obvious) that the rail pass program was either suspended or severely limited?

Well, whenever it is that the quarantine program is dropped and I'm allowed back in, the other half says she's going to go stay with family for a couple weeks and I'm free to go roaming around since she knows I hate that sorta shit so I've got at least ten days to myself and quite the adventure planned. I've been trying to get back into my long (7-8 mile) slow jogs, and jog-dreaming about my return trip is how I get through them nowadays.

Make my triumphant return to Tokyo and then proceed to blow thousands of my stimulus Monopoly money on watches, beer and massages for a few days, then activate my pass and go wherever the fuck the wind and whim takes me. Do all sorts of douchey tourist shit, just because I finally can again. Maybe go down to Miyajima to eat oysters, smoke Cuban cigars by the torii and get pissed off glares for trying to ride the deer. Spend a day in Himeji so I can get properly intoxicated and try acting out Tom Cruise's scenes from The Last Samurai at the castle. Go back to Osaka to visit friends, have my asshole scrubbed at Spa World a few times and jog around the castle park looking for teens fucking in the bushes. Shit, I might just jump on the Hayabusa and go straight up to Hakodate for a few nights so I can spend the days sucking on king crab legs, the "Sapporo Only" Sapporo beers and ten different variations of shio ramen and then the nights sitting bareass naked in my favorite rooftop onsen rotenburo watching the snow fall.

I just hope that whenever it is I can get back, it's still winter (I love sitting the rotenburo in winter) and also soon enough that there's still some tourism hesitancy and not an overcrowding of visitors. With my luck, however, by the time I get back every city in Japan will look like the fucking Wuhan wet market.

I've got my fingers crossed for another surge so ALL the fuckin tourists stay the fuck out. It's so much nicer here now.

It seems that this paper is just a proposal from the JATA and already from end of July.

Yes, but I am not sure if it is "just a proposal". JATA is under supervision of MLIT and if they proposed it without the government's approval, a poor JATA guy would have been tortured in a dungeon in Kasumigaseki. I guess the timetable is semi-official though there are obvious delays in some items.

I also speculate that Japan will yield to the pressure from other countries, particularly the US and the EU to reopen. They are increasingly seeking reciprocal access to Japan for their nationals.

Reactions: Maxblack
Yes, but I am not sure if it is "just a proposal". JATA is under supervision of MLIT and if they proposed it without the government's approval, a poor JATA guy would have been tortured in a dungeon in Kasumigaseki. I guess the timetable is semi-official though there are obvious delays in some items.

I also speculate that Japan will yield to the pressure from other countries, particularly the US and the EU to reopen. They are increasingly seeking reciprocal access to Japan for their nationals.

Parts of Europe (Germany for instance) have japan currently on an entry ban due to the spread of the virus. I don’t think they are going to change that anytime soon unless something magical happens and 70% and over of japans populations is vaccinated by the end of this year.

Parts of Europe (Germany for instance) have japan currently on an entry ban due to the spread of the virus. I don’t think they are going to change that anytime soon unless something magical happens and 70% and over of japans populations is vaccinated by the end of this year.

Actually, with a vaccine certificate, the Japanese can enter Germany even for sightseeing even after September 5. However, the German cannot enter Japan in principle even with a vaccine certificate even for enrolling a school in Japan. Germany is definitely pressuring Japan, requesting reciprocity as Japan's vaccination rate will reach 70% by the end of October.

Reactions: Simonka
unless something magical happens and 70% and over of japans populations is vaccinated by the end of this year.
Actually at current vaxx rates Japan will indeed be at 70% vaxxed middle or end of October.

Reactions: Simonka
if they proposed it without the government's approval, a poor JATA guy would have been tortured in a dungeon in Kasumigaseki.

Pfft. Like they're not already getting tortured in a dungeon in Roppongi every other evening....

Might be better to target the winter of 2022 though. It seems that this paper is just a proposal from the JATA and already from end of July. It shows the Business Tract restarting from September and this far nothing has happened with that.

The only new proposals I have heard are reducing the 14 day quarantine to 10 days and possible doing the vaccination passport thingie. Before we get any visitors here lots of faxes have to be send and new hanko ink needs to be purchased.

I have told every business traveller eager to come over to prepare it happens in February-March time frame next year. If anything happens sooner I will be absolutely flabbergasted. Happy but still flabbergasted.

Yep! I reckon about the same. We've been getting a lot of inquiries recently for this winter, but most are dreaming.
People don't really understand bilateral relationships, and think as soon as their country makes a move to open, the rest of the world will follow suit.

Biggest hope for this year is that the vaccine roll out gets us past these 緊急事態 and I can sink a few pints in Tokyo at a legit shop not the bootleggers.

Reactions: MikeH and Sudsy
Reactions: Majora and MikeH
The quarantine upon entry will be shortened to 10 days with a vaccine certificate, starting next week. The vaccinated are exempted from the 3-day hotel quarantine even if they return from the countries of new variants.

https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASP9Q5GGDP9QULBJ008.html

I think the boarders to be reopen for newly entering long-term visa holders in October (just like what happened exactly a year ago) and hope it happens sooner. So many people are waiting...

They left China and Sinovax off the list.

Russia and Sputnik V too.

That’s going to ruffle some feathers.

Yes, and their policy doesn't help those who've got J&J vaccines for now. Japan's approval of J&J vaccines is expected to be early next year.

Reactions: Keihan
Just FYI. If any of you or your friends or acquaintances are in Japan but do not know how to get vaccinated (because you haven't got the coupons, stranded with short-term visa and legally overstaying, etc.), you can call 外国人在留支援センター, which is part of the Immigration Bureau, to seek support about the vaccination. The number is 0120-76-2029 (Open Mon-Fri 9am to 5pm). They say they can provide multilingual support in 18 languages. Japan's vaccination campaign is winding down, thus now would be the last chance for easy vaccination.

Yes, and their policy doesn't help those who've got J&J vaccines for now. Japan's approval of J&J vaccines is expected to be early next year.

You know, I was just discussing this exact topic with a former client of mine who runs an importing business and does (or did, anyhow) a lot of business in Japan. She mentioned that even when Japan finally reopens to foreign visitors, she won't be able to visit again unless she gets a Pfizer/Moderna jab as she's vaccinated with J&J and the Japanese government doesn't currently recognize this vaccine. I had no idea until I asked the other half.

But then it occurred to me, if they're only planning to allow in visitors who've received Pfizer, Moderna or AZ--and correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the vast majority of Chinese given only the option of that CCP garbage Sino-whatever shot?--does that not mean that under existing guidelines, Chinese tourists will not be allowed to enter the country??

Please, tickle not my tiny shaved balls and give me such audacious, erection-inspiring hope. Could such a dream scenario be possible???

Reactions: Ojaysee and Ken1988
You know, I was just discussing this exact topic with a former client of mine who runs an importing business and does (or did, anyhow) a lot of business in Japan. She mentioned that even when Japan finally reopens to foreign visitors, she won't be able to visit again unless she gets a Pfizer/Moderna jab as she's vaccinated with J&J and the Japanese government doesn't currently recognize this vaccine. I had no idea until I asked the other half.

But then it occurred to me, if they're only planning to allow in visitors who've received Pfizer, Moderna or AZ--and correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the vast majority of Chinese given only the option of that CCP garbage Sino-whatever shot?--does that not mean that under existing guidelines, Chinese tourists will not be allowed to enter the country??

Please, tickle not my tiny shaved balls and give me such audacious, erection-inspiring hope. Could such a dream scenario be possible???
You have surmised correctly. Those vaccinated with Sinovac or Sputnik are not eligible. It’s going to be quite a while before we see tourists from the Middle Kingdom or the former Soviet states.

she's vaccinated with J&J and the Japanese government doesn't currently recognize this vaccine. I had no idea until I asked the other half.

J&J has already applied for vaccine approval in Japan in May. They didn't seek the Japanese equivalent of EUA, but the approval is expected to be granted by December-January.

Probably Japan is to follow the CDC and accept the WHO-approved vaccines, including Chinese ones. That suits them to resume "business track" travels, but I don't know - it seems to me that pro-Chinese Nikai guy in LDP lost his position and now J Gov doesn't look like as enthusiastic as before in accommodating diplomatic requests from China.

Reactions: Keihan and Majestyk
J&J has already applied for vaccine approval in Japan in May. They didn't seek the Japanese equivalent of EUA, but the approval is expected to be granted by December-January.

Probably Japan is to follow the CDC and accept the WHO-approved vaccines, including Chinese ones. That suits them to resume "business track" travels, but I don't know - it seems to me that pro-Chinese Nikai guy in LDP lost his position and now J Gov doesn't look like as enthusiastic as before in accommodating diplomatic requests from China.

Stop being sensible. Makes my dick soft.

Anyone want to venture a guess as to when Japan will finally reopen to visitors (US/UK/EU)? Or at the very least, end that ridiculous quarantine for returning vaccinated citizens? I know here stateside, I believe Slow Joe just announced early November as our official reopening to foreign (vaccinated) visitors. Around here we're just dying for Japan to allow its citizens to return without quarantine, as our economy is desperate for the return of Japanese tourist dollars.

My other half is banking on things being reopened by March, so I'm operating on the assumption that I'll be allowed to accompany her to Japan for a trip to visit relatives. A very supervised trip, mind you, but at this point I'll take what I can get. Maybe use the shit-ton of miles I have saved up now to upgrade into first class, where they dare not deny me my champagne and vodka-sodas with lime.

Anyone want to venture a guess as to when Japan will finally reopen to visitors (US/UK/EU)?

Given that they just dropped the quarantine to 10 days for vaccinated residents/new visa holders, they've started the process. I'd expect around the start of Q2 or so they'll start allowing vaccinated business travellers from an initial list of countries (likely selected by a combination of set percentage of accepted vaccine rollout - say 70% - and importance as trading partner). Will also be significantly dependent on travel history. I don't expect Sinovac to make the approved list for quite some time, and Sputnik even longer.

Or at the very least, end that ridiculous quarantine for returning vaccinated citizens?

I think that's going to be dependent on where they're traveling from, but again, they've already started the process of reducing the quarantine duration. Q2ish. Expect that they'll still be requiring quarantine for vaccinated travelers who've been to places with low levels of vaccine rollouts/high case numbers.

The reason I think we'll see a long period before Sputnik's accepted - the impact on new case numbers and death rate appears to be negligible.
upload_2021-10-17_9-41-6.png

upload_2021-10-17_9-41-29.png

Compare to Mexico (similar rollout rate, but with Pfizer/Moderna):
upload_2021-10-17_9-45-16.png

upload_2021-10-17_9-45-33.png

You can see pretty clearly that the Sputnik vaccine is comparatively ineffective - Mexico's death rates are already dropping even with a low vaccination rate.

China simply isn't releasing numbers, but a similar picture is arising in Mongolia, which rolled out Sinovac.

upload_2021-10-17_9-57-2.png

upload_2021-10-17_9-57-20.png

These vaccines aren't being excluded from approval simply because of politics - they're pretty clearly not effective.

Attachments

• upload_2021-10-17_9-43-29.png
    upload_2021-10-17_9-43-29.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 58