Guest viewing is limited

Safe to visit?

I think it'll be safer to be in Japan than in the US in a few weeks' time. I am a bit scared as the issue is being excessively politicized in the states.
It's been safer being in Japan then the last 50+ years of Stateside living imho

If anything it's one of the best times to come. I was able to book a 5 star hotel for less than half the normal price because of the overreaction

I was originally planning a trip within the states, but when I saw everything was cheaper I jumped at the chance to book a return to Toyko!

Reactions: Lukes
I was originally planning a trip within the states, but when I saw everything was cheaper I jumped at the chance to book a return to Toyko!
It's even cheaper if you're a resident here. I was able to find the deal on Rakuten but the one I booked specifically required you to be a Japan resident with valid JP phone/address for an extra 10k yen off

Reactions: Dattebayo
This whole situation is getting out of hand. Japanese are usually very scared of bacteria, virus and and all kind of diseases, which is why they run to the doctor once a week and shove all kinds of medicine into their throats, while their companies frantically write notifications to their employees detailing how to wash your hands correctly.
With the coronavirus it has gotten even worse. Schools closing, theme parks closing, some museums and cinemas as well and people standing in line for hours for some surgical masks and are fighting over some stupid toilet paper.
A trip to Japan is always awesome, but I would make sure that you can really do those things that you really want to do before coming here.

Reactions: Dattebayo
So I can now blame this pandemic on Toto!!
Nothing more than an effort to convert the world to wash-let toilets.

In Europe the most popular washlet sold by the swiss company Geberit is out of stock as some parts are made in Wuhan and their supply has run out :D

Not sure if someone already pointed this out already but the school closing is optional. Parents can still send their kids to school and teachers still have to go.

I think there are actually way more cases in Japan than has been reported because clinics aren't testing people as much as they should. Abe-chan really bungled the whole situation but it's more of an annoyance than a danger. A lot of tourist heavy places are going out of business and the pre order for the animal crossing joy comes for delayed because Nintendo's manufacturing is mostly in China lol

I agree with juliet tho; prime time to enjoy less crowded spaces. I went to Kyoto recently and it was heavenly. There was barely anyone around.

I agree with juliet tho; prime time to enjoy less crowded spaces.

I spent the evening in Shibuya. I live on the north side.

Got a seat on the train both ways, and the taxi queue from the main station to my home (missed last subway) had one person in it. Normally a 20 minute wait.

My question is how do I raise this kind of panic every time I want to go out for a few drinks?

My question is how do I raise this kind of panic every time I want to go out for a few drinks?

Just announce it in advance. Should do the trick.

Reactions: Sudsy
I spent the evening in Shibuya. I live on the north side.

Got a seat on the train both ways, and the taxi queue from the main station to my home (missed last subway) had one person in it. Normally a 20 minute wait.

Get a tee shirt from Wellington New Zealand whose catch phrase is

"absolutely positive"

Or get one made up on Vista Print
with this on it

+
CV

I live close to Asakusa, one of the main tourist hot-spots in Tokyo. You can really feel and see the effects of the decline in tourism. Usually full of Chinese, there are only a few Japanese and some American or European tourists roaming the streets. Izakayas are also empty.
I do enjoy Tokyo without the rude and loud Chinese tourists, but you can't deny that they bring in tons of money. I feel sorry for all those part timers working in Hotels and Restaurants. They will probably have their hours cut.

Why is everyone buying up all the toilet paper when you have a toilet that shoots a stream of heated water at your ass to do most of the work? I don't get that.

The funny thing (in not so funny way) is what happens to the hospitals when all the nurses are home taking care of their kids who can't go to school?

There was actually less masked people in the train today than yesterday. Maybe everyone is just now given up, we'll all gonna die anyway.

Costco emailed me telling they have no more toilet paper. This is the end of the world as we know it.
Yea! What do you care? You never used toilet paper anyway!

Someone from the UN told me a reason for closing the schools is that the government would have to provide 5 face-masks per day, per child and teacher - and they don’t have enough what with prioritizing health workers. Same in HK.

Are you a Japan resident? the price is only for those with a valid JP address matching with resident card
That's me then. I want to know too.

Reactions: MikeH and Sudsy
Yea! What do you care? You never used toilet paper anyway!

Not true! I use it to wipe my face out of pig grease after I've eaten.

Reactions: Anna Summer
That situation should ease up now - a big part of the problem has been people buying up all the masks they can to resell on Mercari or Yahoo Auctions.

The government has asked auction and resales sites to stop allowing listings of masks, with a grace period to let the hoarders unload (and they'll have to sell low to unload quick to avoid being stuck with all their inventory)

finally! there should really be a law against this.... before it gets out of hand again.

A535C0D7-16D7-4E3C-9688-F6F580DB23C6.jpeg
This was the scene yesterday at one of the US military commissaries.

01D631EF-76CF-466C-BAF9-2B6B4914B439.jpeg