Guest viewing is limited

Safe to visit?

The irony hasn't escaped me. Just a few days ago I ended up in a meeting with a group of grad students and lecturers from the local university, all of them predictably far-left radicals and we spent a good half hour congratulating ourselves on all being vaccinated, comparing side-effect notes and, of course, ranting and raving against the abominable anti-vaxxers of this country and sharing creative ideas on how the government might be able to legally cut them out of as many aspects of the normal social experience as possible. I'd never sat in an actual liberal hissy-fit hysterical echo chamber before. And if truth be told, I quite enjoyed it. Now, I've worked the whole "enemy of my enemy" thing in politics many times before, but this was definitely a new low for me.
Got ur pepper spray on ur keychain?

Got ur pepper spray on ur keychain?

Keychain sprays are for women who don't know any better. I carry the MACE "Police Model" in my pocket. And a spring-assist tactical folding knife in my other pocket. I'm super lethal.

Keychain sprays are for women who don't know any better. I carry the MACE "Police Model" in my pocket. And a spring-assist tactical folding knife in my other pocket. I'm super lethal.
Isn't the spring assist illegal?

Isn't the spring assist illegal?

Not in any state that I'm aware of. You're probably thinking of spring-operated. Fine line, yes, but that's how modern knife manufacturer's like Kershaw began skirting the law about twenty years back.

Spring-operated means the action of the knife is entirely automatic--push a button and the blade flips out, the standard "switchblade" of the past. This is illegal practically everywhere for civilian use.

Spring-assisted is trickier. In its closed form, the knife and blade must be manually pushed out just a tad using the standard thumb stud, spur or tab on the blade. But once you've pushed the blade out a millimeter or so, the action catches and the internal spring pushes the blade out the rest of the way. For all intents and purposes it's just as fast as an illegal switchblade but the lack of that button on the handle makes it technically legal.

I've carried a knife of some sort every day since I was 8 years old, so you could consider me somewhat of an enthusiast. My preferred brand these days is ZT (Zero Tolerance Knives), which is a partnership between Kershaw and KAI Japan's stateside operation. Not cheap, but probably the toughest knife I've ever owned. My EDC is a special edition law-enforcement version of this one:

0350ts_profile_web.png

I have different models by ZT, Kershaw and Benchmade that I carry depending on outfit or activity, and when in dress clothes I try to match the knife and visible clip to my other accessories (watch, belt buckle, sunglasses). There's a reason my gay cousins are still convinced that I'm gay.

Since
This doesn't bode well for those of the anti-vax persuasion, although it could just be Mother Nature's way of keeping the dumb from breeding. Of course, this could just be a sinister, diabolical geopolitical plot by Pfizer Corp. to make billions on both sides of the equation.

Can Covid-19 Coronavirus Cause Long-Term Erectile Dysfunction? Here Are 2 More Studies

Given Pfizer's history and the more than slightly dubious origin of this virus I would lean to the latter.

Reactions: Cinnabums
So...is the Tokyo Olympics going to be canceled, then?

I haven't been following very closely but the other half tells me that the majority of Japanese polled want it called off and now I'm reading that major sponsors are now in agreement. Plus, even if Japan could begin administering vaccinations and widely and quickly as America managed to do--which we all know is not going to happen--a quick look at the trajectory and timeline of the infection rates in America since December should show all the Japanese government needs to know to just cancel the show now. Just simple reasoning...we had three approved vaccines and more available doses than any country on Earth and it still took us six months to start seeing numbers decline. Not much Japan can do with two months to go.

I know most here are in favor of cancelation. I am, too, but that's because I'm in favor of anything that'll fuck the yen's value and make the airlines and hotels further suffer, setting up an epic Tokyo shopping spree for me next Spring.

So...is the Tokyo Olympics going to be canceled, then?

I haven't been following very closely but the other half tells me that the majority of Japanese polled want it called off and now I'm reading that major sponsors are now in agreement. Plus, even if Japan could begin administering vaccinations and widely and quickly as America managed to do--which we all know is not going to happen--a quick look at the trajectory and timeline of the infection rates in America since December should show all the Japanese government needs to know to just cancel the show now. Just simple reasoning...we had three approved vaccines and more available doses than any country on Earth and it still took us six months to start seeing numbers decline. Not much Japan can do with two months to go.

I know most here are in favor of cancelation. I am, too, but that's because I'm in favor of anything that'll fuck the yen's value and make the airlines and hotels further suffer, setting up an epic Tokyo shopping spree for me next Spring.

Who knows? At the moment, and it could change quickly, a cancellation doesn't appear to be on the table. The IOC seem desperate to host the games and collect the broadcast revenues. Public opinion isn't counting for much.The Government may be hoping the IOC eventually pulls the plug.....maybe some of the negative noise from Asahi, Son, Nomura is actually being orchestrated by the government?

What will be interesting is if some countries or high profile athletes pull out. That could build momentum towards a cancellation. I assume broadcasters must already be re-negotiating contracts for what will be a B-grade spectacle.

What will be interesting is if some countries or high profile athletes pull out. That could build momentum towards a cancellation. I assume broadcasters must already be re-negotiating contracts for what will be a B-grade spectacle.

That's what I've been wondering. I'm sure almost all of the athletes, not just the Americans, are still 110% in favor of going, but with both the CDC and the State Department warning Americans to avoid Japan, I think there's a very real possibility that the U.S. will pull its athletes out. It'd be a major PR and political disaster if our vaccinated team comes back infected with the Indian variant and all to attend, as you put it, a "B-grade spectacle." And if the U.S. actually pulls out, I imagine it's only a matter of time till a lot of other major countries follow suit and then what's the point?

My other half is itching to go back to visit family, but we're both in agreement that we'll wait to see how the Pfizer vaccine works against the variants, then wait to get our booster next Fall before either of us considers any travel.

When was the last time the Japanese government cared what the general public wanted? They are pretty much saying "yeah, we hear you but don't care". And that the IOC is the only one who has the right to cancel the games.

Well, just don't give anyone visas to enter and you don't need to cancel. Just happens that the only ones competing are Japanese athletes but the games go on with their agreed schedule.

But the Indian variant looks quite interesting; already reports that in some places the hospital staff despite being vaccinated twice and using the correct protective gear all the time is getting infected.

When was the last time the Japanese government cared what the general public wanted? They are pretty much saying "yeah, we hear you but don't care". And that the IOC is the only one who has the right to cancel the games.

Well, just don't give anyone visas to enter and you don't need to cancel. Just happens that the only ones competing are Japanese athletes but the games go on with their agreed schedule.

But the Indian variant looks quite interesting; already reports that in some places the hospital staff despite being vaccinated twice and using the correct protective gear all the time is getting infected.

we should nuke India before its too late
(Here you go, I out-Keihaned Keihan!)

Reactions: bergmann and MikeH
we should nuke India before its too late
(Here you go, I out-Keihaned Keihan!)

Nyah, I'd say that's just 2/5 points for you. Add two chapters about drinking whiskey while caressing your pistol (steal or flesh) and banging old Chinese massage parlour mama-sans and you get closer.

As of May 26, Japan's 7 day average new cases is down 20.25% from a week before, which seems pretty good to me. Certainly better than the UK, which is up 67.56% despite their relatively good vaccination rate, and still less than half the cases per capita as Canada or the US.

Well, North Korea already said that they aren’t sending their athletes to Tokyo. So, you know that it’s going to be a B-grade spectacle:whistle:
Damn! I would have only attended for their cheerleading girls . They’re the best.

Reactions: SugoiBoy
Sumida-ku has just announced a staged expansion of vaccine eligibility - 60 yo and older will be eligible on June 28, 40 yo and older on July 6, and 16 yo and older on July 20.

Probably the eligibility expansion at the SDF mass vaccination site at Otemachi will be faster, but will see.

Sumida-ku has just announced a staged expansion of vaccine eligibility - 60 yo and older will be eligible on June 28, 40 yo and older on July 6, and 16 yo and older on July 20.

With that you need to read the fine print which says that's the date when you can start getting reservations for the vaccine.

If it goes like this far you spend two weeks trying to call them and then get your time three months later. So add 2-3 months to those dates and you get the timeline they believe they can do the vaccinations for real.

With that you need to read the fine print which says that's the date when you can start getting reservations for the vaccine.

If it goes like this far you spend two weeks trying to call them and then get your time three months later. So add 2-3 months to those dates and you get the timeline they believe they can do the vaccinations for real.

Each group can book appointments a week earlier from the said date - June 21 for 60 yo and older, June 28 for 40 yo and older, July 13 for 16 yo and older.
https://www.city.sumida.lg.jp/kenko_fukushi/kenko/yobou_sessyu/covid-19/vaccine.html

Reportedly, Sumida, Nakano and Koganei are leading the vaccination race in Tokyo without much fuss. The residents there are lucky as some municipalities in Tokyo are still giving out August appointments to elderlies.

Reactions: Acid Burn and MikeH
I've received my invite but will wait to talk to my Dr. (next week) as to whether I need/should get it.

I've received my invite but will wait to talk to my Dr. (next week) as to whether I need/should get it.
Official line from the CDC:

Yes, you should be vaccinated regardless of whether you already had COVID-19. That’s because experts do not yet know how long you are protected from getting sick again after recovering from COVID-19. Even if you have already recovered from COVID-19, it is possible—although rare—that you could be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19 again.

If you were treated for COVID-19 with monoclonal antibodies or convalescent plasma, you should wait 90 days before getting a COVID-19 vaccine.

Reactions: Acid Burn

Yes, you should be vaccinated regardless of whether you already had COVID-19. That’s because experts do not yet know how long you are protected from getting sick again after recovering from COVID-19. Even if you have already recovered from COVID-19, it is possible—although rare—that you could be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19 again.

If you were treated for COVID-19 with monoclonal antibodies or convalescent plasma, you should wait 90 days before getting a COVID-19 vaccine.
Flu shots have almost killed me in the past. After 2nd time my GP at the time told me to avoid them as my system seems to not need it. I'll see what my Dr. tells me here. Thanks for the update though Sudsy. Much appreciated.

Reactions: Sudsy

Something to think about: Several studies publicized yesterday suggest that immunity could last for years.

That is, immunity to COVID in those who recovered from the disease AND got vaccinated could last for years and not require boosters; however, those who merely had vaccinations to acquire antibodies would still need to receive regular boosters.

I'm no doctor but for those who have a history of bad reactions to conventional vaccines, such as the flu vaccine, I'm guessing doctors might recommend they avoid the J&J shot as its mechanism for building antibodies is very much a conventional mechanism (adenovirus), very similar to the standard flu vaccine. Guys I know with a history of bad reactions to flu vaccines who were also mistrustful of Pfizer/Moderna that got the J&J shot got similarly unpleasant reactions. With the MRNA vaccines being uncharted territory, however, it's anyone's guess what doctors might say, Japanese doctors in particular. My guess is they'd be too afraid to say anything and just beat around the bush until you lose interest.

I can tell you that six or so months ago, my other half was in a high-risk category that was told NOT to get the J&J vaccine. However, recommendations from the CDC/FDA were bit murky regarding Pfizer/Moderna and the new MRNA option. All known studies pointed to the vaccine being safe, but still her particular group hadn't been widely tested yet. Therefore, with the blessings of many a corporate liability attorney, the new national recommendation was: WE'RE NOT TELLING YOU TO GET IT, BUT WE'RE ALSO NOT TELLING YOU NOT TO GET IT.

And with the implied blessing by her doctor, rather than wait for the idiots in D.C. to offer official guidance, I used a less-than-honest tactic to get us both enrolled in the "1B" category and we both got our Pfizer jabs in early March. We've both been considered fully-vaccinated for a month. We're both doing fine. Hoping things stay like that.

Reactions: just4fun
For those who plan to go to the states side to get vaccines, be aware that returning to Japan from 15 states (AR, CA, CO, CT, DE, ID, IA, ME, MT, NE, NV, NY, OK, OR, RI) are subjected to the enhanced quarantine measures (see (2) Note 1), effective June 4.

https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html#section3

On arrival returning form those states, you are bussed to a government-designated hotel room from the airport and confined there for 3 days. It's free and meals (bento) supplied, but I understand they won't let you out even to the corridor during those 3 days.

Reactions: Rusty Trombone
and FL, MI, MN, TN - total 19 states. The MOFA's website is amazingly difficult to read.
One of the worse documents I've ever seen that has critical info for travel. And even more so with duplicate listings of the same state (i.e. Minnesota) but superseded by dates I suppose...

Reactions: Simonka