Guest viewing is limited

Salary improvement plan, help a bro out.

I’ve heard that you need an investment visa or so, however yesterday I heard there’s an owner visa you could get if you want to start a business.

You need a visa that MOFA calls Manager visa. Basically invest 5 millions to found a company and then have 10 millions in sales per year to extend.

Now there is also something called Star-up visa which has been advertised big by some prefectures and then given to basically nobody.

if you are talking about headhunters then just about all of them are willing to hire non-Japanese.
No offense intended, but I would steer clear of working for a recruiter unless you want to be a recruiter. It is one of those jobs, like english teacher, that once you are doing it, it is hard to move out of.

You need a visa that MOFA calls Manager visa. Basically invest 5 millions to found a company and then have 10 millions in sales per year to extend.

Now there is also something called Star-up visa which has been advertised big by some prefectures and then given to basically nobody.
Do you need a degree or other special qualifications for that visa, or just money and a business idea?

Do you need a degree or other special qualifications for that visa, or just money and a business idea?

Just money and a (legal) business idea.

No offense intended, but I would steer clear of working for a recruiter unless you want to be a recruiter. It is one of those jobs, like english teacher, that once you are doing it, it is hard to move out of.
Yup. I was trying to figure his level of interest to see if he really wanted to do that. I've done it myself but there are a number of things one should know about it before taking that route.

Reactions: Majora

I don't think you need a degree but they require you have three years of business management experience and submit a business plan.

they require you have three years of business management experience

I thought the requirement was three years of experience in business - not necessarily as a manager.

Unless you are bilingual, and then its a pretty good stepping stone into any sales role at a more prestigious firm with an easier to sell product.
If you have no sales experience you wont get a job at cisco or google but if you do a couple years at a recruitment firm and demonstrate success they will look at you more favourably. The big gaishikei firms often poach bilingual recruiters from agencies to work in sales for them

I thought the requirement was three years of experience in business - not necessarily as a manager.

If you apply for the Business Manager visa they require you to have three years of experience either from business administration or management. This visa is after all meant for company top brass only.

If you go for the Start-up visa available in Tokyo and Fukuoka (which in practise is like Business Manager Light) then it's only about business experience.

In real life both of these visas are pretty hard to come by.

Unless you are bilingual, and then its a pretty good stepping stone into any sales role at a more prestigious firm with an easier to sell product.
If you have no sales experience you wont get a job at cisco or google but if you do a couple years at a recruitment firm and demonstrate success they will look at you more favourably. The big gaishikei firms often poach bilingual recruiters from agencies to work in sales for them
Agree. If you are a gaijin who is truly bilingual/near native, then the situation is different. In that situation there are lots of jobs. The problem is they will ry to pay you like a local.....

id go Business Analyst route if it were me, here in Canada. The Toronto the job market is lopsided... too many jobs, not enough skilled available talent. When no one applies to one of our business related job postings, we reduce the minimum requirements ...but being capable with Excel is the last skill we'd remove. Its also a skill needed in a ton of other roles (to varying degrees) and its surprising how much people struggle here.

In regards to a lack of experience, if i were you id take an advanced course on Excel, like seriously...know it better than anyone.
As someone who hires people, being excellent with Excel is paramount. In my career..ive noticed that regardless of where i worked, the office Excel guru is a valuable individual.

Further along that note, leverage your language skills by maybe looking at a business analyst position in a marketing department or company. There might be value there in having 3 languages yet primarily being in an anallytical positionn.

Analyze, graph, and draw conclusions/results out of big data sets...could be more fun than it sounds.

if i were hiring someone in their 20's who had maybe a lack of experience..what would i want to hear?
Honesty.... be real if i heard this: "I dont have an extensive background but im eager, loyal and a quick learner. I have extremely advanced excel skills and im naturally an analytical person.. give me a chance"
your hired!! i can easily justify that person in an entry role or hell, maybe even a step higher than that

Reactions: Majora and MikeH
id go Business Analyst route if it were me, here in Canada. The Toronto the job market is lopsided... too many jobs, not enough skilled available talent. When no one applies to one of our business related job postings, we reduce the minimum requirements ...but being capable with Excel is the last skill we'd remove. Its also a skill needed in a ton of other roles (to varying degrees) and its surprising how much people struggle here.

In regards to a lack of experience, if i were you id take an advanced course on Excel, like seriously...know it better than anyone.
As someone who hires people, being excellent with Excel is paramount. In my career..ive noticed that regardless of where i worked, the office Excel guru is a valuable individual.

Further along that note, leverage your language skills by maybe looking at a business analyst position in a marketing department or company. There might be value there in having 3 languages yet primarily being in an anallytical positionn.

Analyze, graph, and draw conclusions/results out of big data sets...could be more fun than it sounds.

if i were hiring someone in their 20's who had maybe a lack of experience..what would i want to hear?
Honesty.... be real if i heard this: "I dont have an extensive background but im eager, loyal and a quick learner. I have extremely advanced excel skills and im naturally an analytical person.. give me a chance"
your hired!! i can easily justify that person in an entry role or hell, maybe even a step higher than that
I think this is good advice too. There is a big divide in most industries as far as jobs go. Either you stay in the office and work or you go out of the office and work. Support, production, admin. , or Sales, Account Management. If you are going to take the stay inside route, as the OP suggests, I totally agree that good Excel/ MSOffice skills are a plus. I would also suggest you start to study for some of the coveted acronyms: CPA,CFA, and the really good one and relatively easier to get PMP. PMP is gold in a lot of companies. Stands for Project Management Professional. The other thing to look at is becoming skilled at Oracle Applications or SAP or one or more of the other enterprise application sets. Always in demand.

some legit advices here! am looking to change jobs in the next 6 months so gonna try some of the tips here... studying for some new qualficiation seems legit as wellx

In some places they also limit the business idea to specific set of industries.

Are we still talking about the Startup visa and in Japan? Because that has been available only in Tokyo and Fukuoka this far and I have not heard either of them putting that kind of restrictions on it.

How that visa is going to be handled now when it gets nationwide is still to see, though if I was trying to get visa now I would probably look the other ones; this has pretty really hard to get and probably continues to be so.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Are we still talking about the Startup visa and in Japan? Because that has been available only in Tokyo and Fukuoka this far and I have not heard either of them putting that kind of restrictions on it.

How that visa is going to be handled now when it gets nationwide is still to see, though if I was trying to get visa now I would probably look the other ones; this has pretty really hard to get and probably continues to be so.

Yep! Actually, it seems to be available in 7 cities/areas now: http://www.kahoku.co.jp/tohokunews/201712/20171204_13011.html
I don't think expectation to target specific industry is completely unreasonable though.

In Sendai, for example, it seems they group applications into 4 categories:
https://www.city.sendai.jp/kikakushien/jigyosha/kezai/jigyosho/joho/startupvisa.html (Japanese)
http://www.city.sendai.jp/kikakushien/jigyosha/kezai/jigyosho/joho/startupvisa-english.html (English)

Yep! Actually, it seems to be available in 7 cities/areas now:

The nationwide system is about to be launched from this April but I didn't even know it has been available outside Tokyo and Fukuoka before reading this. And I should have known. :confused:

Still it seems I am not the only one left out, that article tells there are a total of 6 applicants outside these two prefectures and some places didn't get any applicants.

And this far they have handed out less than 30 visas; all for six months. Well, even the officials admit this whole thing is more PR than real life help for foreigners wanting to move in.

i don't know shit about japan jobs... but how about using your industrial engineering expertise to do green energy initiatives. post Fukushima, doesn't japan pay out the ass for importing oil for energy? there must be big initiatives to try and reduce costs. you can tap into that!

look into renewable energy and perhaps cryptocurrency mining farms. crypto is big in japan, at least that i know.

Reactions: Majora
i don't know shit about japan jobs... but how about using your industrial engineering expertise to do green energy initiatives. post Fukushima, doesn't japan pay out the ass for importing oil for energy? there must be big initiatives to try and reduce costs. you can tap into that!

look into renewable energy and perhaps cryptocurrency mining farms. crypto is big in japan, at least that i know.

Yeah, I’ll wait and check the changes in April and start thinking about entrepreneurship. I have a ‘business’ back home that could be profitable to import.

Talking with strangers on a Japan P4P site about your career seems to me to indicate a lack of serious intention. Sorry for the harsh comment. But hey this is the internet. Step one: Get serious. Anyway, how about spending some time to write down what you think you are good at, and what you think you want to do with your life. Spend a good deal of time thinking about it and editing it. Get it right. Then, go find someone you know well who has, in your estimate, been successful. Someone you admire. Let him read what you have written. Explain it to him. Get advice. Maybe meet a few different people. Then map out a plan based on the feedback you get. Write it down. Set milestones. Then go out and kick ass.

Talking with strangers on a Japan P4P site about your career seems to me to indicate a lack of serious intention. Sorry for the harsh comment. But hey this is the internet. Step one: Get serious. Anyway, how about spending some time to write down what you think you are good at, and what you think you want to do with your life. Spend a good deal of time thinking about it and editing it. Get it right. Then, go find someone you know well who has, in your estimate, been successful. Someone you admire. Let him read what you have written. Explain it to him. Get advice. Maybe meet a few different people. Then map out a plan based on the feedback you get. Write it down. Set milestones. Then go out and kick ass.

Well actually, in a place like this people are honest and can open their mind, and a lot of people here, like, come or live in Japan. Having more perspectives doesn’t hurt, and I’m not taking the advices here as a to do list. I don’t think wanting more information from different sources indicates a lack of commitment. But, your advice was great, so thanks for that.

Also, if you spend in P4P, high end places, etc. You must be doing something right, financially speaking.

Also, if you spend in P4P, high end places, etc. You must be doing something right, financially speaking.

That or borrowing money from loan sharks and preparing to leave the country in moment's notice. :p

Reactions: Majora and warubuta
As it was mentioned, I know there are some head hunters, recruiters with English teacher background, if you had humanity skills to help people get positioned. That industry seems quite a challenge, but at the same time, it can be a good challenge. But it's better gone through the experience of getting office jobs know what can be improved. To start with office jobs, admin work, Excel data entry jobs, can be low hourly wage, but maybe there's a chance.

It didn't sound like a "manager level" at all, but wonder why "manager VISA" comment poped up? This person is asking for very elementary level of work experience for professional jobs!! Such an off track!

Even you think you might have a chance here as a English teacher, you may have to start out "1,000 yen lesson" and you need to know the Japanese market, requirement and it's tough to live with very limited low wage.

Not easy. Don't think Japan is easy. It's only easy for experienced, well qualified, eligerble person knows what he wants, what he gets. It's VERY competitive. I'm saying this, as I've gone through hard time.

Seach alot over the internet, what inspires you, keep in mind of what sparks you, to make awesome salary in the future. You are the one that decides how much you're gonna make, what you wanna be.

Good luck!

Talking with strangers on a Japan P4P site about your career seems to me to indicate a lack of serious intention.

TAG has a lot of valid information about most topics, trouble is there is also a fair bit of information which is garbage. A lot of people don't know the difference - here lies the beauty of Internet forums.

Last edited: