Guest viewing is limited

Scammers calling you at your workplace?

majimekun

TAG Member
Reaction score
I get it quite a lot recently.

Indian/thai sounding people not introducing themselves properly and asking you if you're interested in financial services. WTF! I assume they find your info on LinkedIn. The worst part is that they get nasty when you tell them politely to stop calling you.
Last time was the most epic. Another indian-sounding guy teeling me he was a journalist from BBC ans asking me my phone number. What the hell?

Do you get the same sort of shit?

How do you deal with it?

Another reason why I wish lots of foreigners should leave Japan alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Simonka and Yuriko

Indian/thai sounding people not introducing themselves properly and asking you if you're interested in financial services. WTF! I assume they find your info an LinkedIn. The worst is that they get nasty when you tell them politely to stop calling you.
Last time was the most epic. Another indian-sounding guy teeling me he was a journalist from BBC ans asking me my phone number. What the hell?

How do you deal with it?

I don't even bother being polite. I tell them that they should go fuck their mothers, just as soon as she's finished blowing the family goat.

Reactions: MikeH and majimekun
They used to call my office years ago. Most of the staff don't speak English so they'd give me the phone. I'd say a fake name each time.
- If you say your name is Mohamed, Jamal, or Fernandez they never called backed asking for those names. If you said Charlie, Peter, or John they certainly called back later asking for those names.
- They also phish for other names in the office sometimes pretending to be delivery services that has to confirm the names & email addresses. I usually play the game & they say they have to confirm the name first. I'd say Renaldo No & wow Renaldo is on the list & now I have to confirm his email addresses: no.Renaldo@hotmail.com

Well, this has been going on at least 15 years now. At one company we got at least ten of those calls a day at the worst times. Me and one Japanese guy who were mainly picking up the sales phone developed a good sense of figuring out these guys in a hurry. Mind you, a large portion of our customers where calling abroad so it was not simply about what language they were speaking.

Of course being in sales everything becomes a competition so we started to measure which one of us would drop the call faster. We were averaging something less than three seconds in the end. But I had to admit defeat when the other guy cut the phone in less than one second saying "his breathing sounded Indian".

Indian/thai sounding people not introducing themselves properly and asking you if you're interested in financial services. WTF! I assume they find your info on LinkedIn. The worst part is that they get nasty when you tell them politely to stop calling you.

How do you deal with it?

Or classicly, via Bloomberg.

They always only say, "This is Maria". Something like that?

Ask for random names and bother us so much for my office job.

Financial services, Head hunters, IT services, real estate property services,,,

One Indian lady rudely asked me after on hold, "did you try to transfer him?".

They don't know how to do business, really.

One time, I hang up, coz I saw the same sign on my phone, but in fact it was from one of the exes overseas. Oops, sorry! lol.

wow ... I didn't know it was that bad ...
There is no way to get rid of them for once???
What is their true purpose BTW??

Yes.. I work from home most of the time but occasionally when I'm on a meeting it happens. Our secretary was too polite to shoo them off so I offered her a helping hand and lately whenever I'm around I take care of it :D Don't be rude, remain professional but very firmly say no. If you give any clue of your anger or sound like you're offended sometimes it triggers them more. At first I definitely had a "wtf" moment but lately I can tell it's them a few seconds into the conversation. They are some sort of personal information collectors who are really pushing the legal boundaries.

Last edited:
Is this really that much of a problem? Just hang up. Sounds like a bunch of gaijin hating on less fortunate gaijin. And this business of gaijin telling other gaijin to go home because they don't follow the rules, speak the language etc. Sheesh. Who appointed you to be the supreme immigration officer? People in most countries have the right to market services over the phone. Deal with it. Me? I have more serious things to worry about. Like figuring out how I can make friends with these smart, creative, hard working Indians and Chinese kids who are going to be running the show here pretty soon.

I don't know what's the best solution tbh. They are so annoying, and they're actually making oversea calls. So much wasting their money, imo.
Maybe I should go" Eigo, wakarimasen.. gomennasai"... or say it completely in French.

"Bonjour, je ne parle pas de anglais. Mes, je vous remercie de appeller, et ne pas rappeller, c'il vous plait! Bye-bye.". lol.

Translation: "I don't spk English. But thank you for calling and please don't call back.".lol.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Btw I have no issues with them belonging to a particular ethnicity. Most likely it's a call center located in those countries and they're getting orders from a white American. I understand they're just doing their job but obviously their supervisor has the wrong impression of how sales techniques should be executed. It just irks me so much whenever people don't get no means no.

Is this really that much of a problem? Just hang up. Sounds like a bunch of gaijin hating on less fortunate gaijin. And this business of gaijin telling other gaijin to go home because they don't follow the rules, speak the language etc. Sheesh. Who appointed you to be the supreme immigration officer?.

Disrupting legit businesses with scammy behaviours by untraceable people is a bit of a concern if you ask me.
Maybe in your world chaos is fun but not in mine.

Like figuring out how I can make friends with these smart, creative, hard working Indians and Chinese kids who are going to be running the show here pretty soon.

You must really be kidding here.
I have worked and still work with Chinese and Indians people and they are useless 80% of the time.
The show you're talking about is just plain shit.

In my case they don't even try to sell me things.
They only want my personal informations.
That has nothing to do with doing business.

. I understand they're just doing their job but obviously their supervisor has the wrong impression of how sales techniques should be executed. It just irks me so much whenever people don't get no means no.

In my case they don't even try to sell me things.
They only want my personal informations.
That has nothing to do with doing business.
They're collecting your personal info so that they can sell to other corporates.

Just like ahem.. facebook does :D

That's how people advertise to you.. By tracing your identity and footprint.
But on the other hand I think this is the beginning of the new artificial intelligence era. So I go with the flow like I always do. Sometimes I want to lock myself up in a container with my tor browser though :D

It's also a bit harsh to call an entire nation of people useless..

Last edited:
Not unique to Japan.
At my workplace, it's always a brit/irish dude selling life insurance and asking for a fuckton of in-depth personal information (everything except the diameter of my left testicle). I don't like hanging up on these people. I need a good distraction from work anyway. Usually I tell them that i might not a suitable candidate since i'm feeling suicidal.

I'm just talking about the ones I encounter here in Japan.

I welcome everybody and any race under the condition that they do their best to speak the language of the host country, they don't import their disrupting religions, they respect the culture and values of the host country, they don't do illegal stuff.

It's nice to be open but being overly tolerant is just giving the stick to get beaten.

It's also a bit harsh to call an entire nation of people useless..

Drawing conclusions based on a small sample is immature. More immature is identifying ethnicity based on accent specially when the country in question ( India) has 20+ languages ( dont know exact number) and even larger number of different "accent". Those who scam other are obviously bad people but linking them to a particular group is childish. And we must realize when we stereotype india and china, we are talking about more than one third of the world population.

Come on, you are a forum for and dedicated to pervs who need to pay in order to have sex.
We can afford a little bit of immaturity then, no? :)

Seriously, I hear you but bad people give the good ones a bad name.
That's the way the human mind works so we'd beter have to remove the bad apples IMHO.

....but linking them to a particular group is childish. And we must realize when we stereotype india and china, we are talking about more than one third of the world population.

Come on, you are a forum for and dedicated to pervs who need to pay in order to have sex.
We can afford a little bit of immaturity then, no? :)

Seriously, I hear you but bad people give the good ones a bad name.
That's the way the human mind works so we'd beter have to remove the bad apples IMHO.

None of the clients I met were "perv"s and a huge portion of them treated me with respect.

As far as I remember the last time some bad boy with a funky moustache decided it's time to get rid of "bad apple"s about 70 million people died and many nations in Europe were destroyed.

Nobody gets to decide who is a bad apple or not, even from an evolutionary point of view we need diversity to ensure the continuity of human species.

Absolutely not against diversity.

But diversity must be managed in such a way that respect of the host country's culture and values remain protected.

Nobody gets to decide who is a bad apple or not, even from an evolutionary point of view we need diversity to ensure the continuity of human species.

Reactions: MossBoss
they respect the culture and values of the host country, they don't do illegal stuff.

It’s entirely possible you live up to this standard; I don’t care to go through your posting history.

I wish, though, I had a Yukichi (would settle for a Noguchi) for every white westerner who complained about Japanese culture or asked for FS from a provider.

Not unique to Japan.
At my workplace, it's always a brit/irish dude selling life insurance and asking for a fuckton of in-depth personal information (everything except the diameter of my left testicle).

Getting back on topic, do you have any precision calipers available? For scientific purposes, of course.

Reactions: Simonka