Seeking recommendation on a fragrance ( for women )

NorthTriangle

TAG Member
Reaction score
I’m looking for a fragrance for a friend but short on ideas. I will venture to the dept store counters but knowing my senses will likely deaden after few or several samplings, I’d like to have a few ideas in mind beforehand. And, maybe even dept store recs... Barney’s any good?

Looking for something ...
Fresh, not “loud”. “
”Clean”, not powdery.
Unique, so it’s not killed by popularity.
And, nothing that triggers evil flashbacks ;)

Chanel Mademoiselle EDP? Too popular?
Tom Ford’s Neroli Portofino?

Reactions: TAG Manager
I’m looking for a fragrance for a friend but short on ideas.
Very important to consider, what does your friend like? What brands does she wear? Does she wear perfumes, lotions, or oils? Any specific types of scents coming off of her? Fragrances vary by body chemistry. What smells good on one girl may not smell the same on another.

I like Chanel perfumes, but they’re not for everyone. I’ve heard a lot girls say that the fragrance is way too strong for them.. and I agree sometimes. Three spritz is overdoing it.

I’d suggest Dolce & Gabbana’s “Light Blue”. Mild, fresh, fruity-floral scent. Loved by many office ladies around the globe, due to it being so casual.. or my personal favorite, Samourai Woman’s “White Rose”. Mild, floral scent. Romantic and girly.

However, perfumes can be tricky. I wouldn’t suggest buying a perfume for a friend unless you know them very well.

Very important to consider, what does your friend like? What brands does she wear? Does she wear perfumes, lotions, or oils? Any specific types of scents coming off of her? Fragrances vary by body chemistry. What smells good on one girl may not smell the same on another.

She told me once but it totally escaped my mind. We used to work together, went out after work and only a few times completely outside of work, and for the life of me, can’t recall any notable fragrance. I have an image of what I think she wears or would wear... maybe it’ll come to me during the sampling.

Another woman in the office wears something but it’s a bit heavy and honestly not sure if it’s fragrance or some body deodorant...cause she also smokes.

However, perfumes can be tricky. I wouldn’t suggest buying a perfume for a friend unless you know them very well.

She gave me something interesting and personal for my bday last year... kinda thought I would find something similar for hers. But yeah, hit or miss...

The Dolce&Gabanna Light Blue is definitely on my list. Will check White Rose too. Thanks!

If fragrance, then something is that same fresh thematic as the Neroli Portofino.

Channel Madmoiselle, is too intense tbh...makes me sick when someone stands near' on a train, as Japanese girls, they mostly don't know how much to put, by TPO imo.

I like "chance" by chanel. I wear it, because it's "light", "feminine" but not overwhelming.It's very officy acceptable fregrance. I had a feeling most people liked it. Also, there is not much difference for evening and morning.

Mark Jacobs perfume is nice, Anna Sui, YSL Mon Paris, Chloe very popular for Japanese 30's-40's.
Also, Dior, Feragamo, Burberry, had something nice.

It's good to find out whether she likes very feminine, sexy purfume or rather light purfume.
Department store sounds good to hop together looking for the right one.

She's lucky knowing such a nice person as you are.

Good luck!!

Last edited:
At the moment Chloe eu de perfume and Jimmy Choo Blossom are two staples of my perfume collection on days when I wish to refrain from offending people who are sensitive to scents. (Running errands, office meetings, health check ups, etc) I am very well aware they are mainstream in Japan but wearing these two guarantees I won’t run into any judgements about my choice of scent. (Japanese people tend to be more sensitive about perfumes.) On days when I am directly traveling to an appointment from home, I either wear something more sophisticated or sexy.

Some other recommendations by me would include L’occitaine Rose eu de toilette, Escada Cherry in the air, Elizabeth Arden Fig, Elizabeth Arden Green Tea. Fig is a bit unconventional but I can describe all four of these fragrances as “fresh”. Cherry in the air might be discontinued but you can buy vintage perfumes online or from vintage themed shops.

Not a big fan of Chanel (except a couple summery ones) perfumes since they smell a bit grammy to my nostrils. I’m more of a Dior girl: Miss Dior, J’adore and Hypnotic Poison are great high end perfumes but I won’t classify them as fresh.

Some women love to build a perfume collection like me and pick one for each occasion, some stick to their favorite perfume every single day. Some don’t wear any perfume at all. It’s a hard journey for you :)

Last edited:
I like "chance" by chanel. I wear it, because it's "light", "feminine" but not overwhelming.It's very officy acceptable fregrance. I had a feeling most people liked it. Also, there is not much difference for evening and morning.
That one got huge publicity recently due to paid product placement in the recent mainland chinese Hana Yori Dango adaptation.

I will agree with you though, it is very inoffensive unlike a lot of other chanel scents.

That one got huge publicity recently due to paid product placement in the recent mainland chinese Hana Yori Dango adaptation.

I will agree with you though, it is very inoffensive unlike a lot of other chanel scents.

Interesting. It must be well sold at duty free shops, then! It's little "classic" taste as Chanel is, but I think very acceptable fregrance doesn't matter TPO. It's like a basic line.

If you're looking for something "hot", then it's not.
YSL Mon Paris is nice and new, catchy for girls. Also YSL Baby doll was a bitchy choice, too but a bit old fashioned maybe...And ideally after 18:00 kind of.

YSL Mon Paris is nice and new, catchy for girls.
Thank you for the recommendation! I’ve checked the high and low notes; this perfume includes raspberry and pear which never disappoint me.

I’m not good with perfumes at all. I have the earlier mentioned Choe and Light Blue as well and i do like them though.
My favorite perfume i get a lot of compliments on is a cheap one though and i’m not gonna mention it because its a bit embarrassing and maybe a weird present.

Maybe try Calvin Klein? I don’t own them personally but many people who like fresh perfumes like them.

I’m not very good with perfumes either. I used to like Burberry Body a lot a few years ago but in recent years I’ve gone to like body sprays more as they aren’t too overpowering. My only perfume at the moment is actually a solid one I got from a handmade soap and shampoo factory here in Germany. Smells sweet but not over the top.
I find it super hard to gift perfumes. You never know what smells good on someone.

Thank you for the recommendation! I’ve checked the high and low notes; this perfume includes raspberry and pear which never disappoint me.

I'm glad it piqued your interest! It's quite a new collection, it was on my list, but a bit pricy for me, tbh... if you like Paris, then...^^

I’m not very good with perfumes either. I used to like Burberry Body a lot a few years ago but in recent years I’ve gone to like body sprays more as they aren’t too overpowering. My only perfume at the moment is actually a solid one I got from a handmade soap and shampoo factory here in Germany. Smells sweet but not over the top.
I find it super hard to gift perfumes. You never know what smells good on someone.
Umm, not sure which one you used during your time in Japan but it works great for you... it blends well into your skin. (Yes I sniffed.. lol) About 5 years ago I used to put on a solid massage oil from Lush as an alternative to perfume and it lasted very long on my skin & I got many compliments.

Personally I don’t think a perfume has to be expensive, I can enjoy both luxury and affordable items but if it’s a present from a guy to a lady.. then he might invest a couple of yens :D

Last edited:
EF4549F3-E340-4564-ACAC-0D3D71780A38.jpeg
I am quite sensitive when it come to perfume so I have a hard time finding a fragrance I find appealing as most are too strong for me. But a few years ago I came across Hermès, Rose Ikebaba. I love it and it’s the only scent I will use. It has a touch of light rose floral scent but it’s very soft, sensual and clean.

An update ... I couldn’t post on TAG due to certain restrictions on where I was ...

Thank you for all the suggestions!

I ended up with Jo Malone , Orange Blossom. English Pear & Freesia was a close second.

I learnt that when hit with olfactory fatigue, at least at the Dior shop, they’ll offer a small Petri dish full of coffee beans to sniff to clear the senses.

I came across an interesting fragrance for men by Shiseido c.2005 that seems to have been largely ignored or unnoticed ... called “MEN”. ( not the one called ZEN). It’s not distinct nor unique but it’s memorable ... the middle , base note includes Japanese cypress aka hinoki. The last thing one wants is a fragrance that so many others are wearing, so the fact it’s escaped attention of the masses is a positive. Hinoki isn’t the same as the middle eastern oud which is now coming out in releases by all major houses, including/esp. Tom Ford.... but it’s a close subtler close cousin. 2005 may have been too early. Anyways, that’s the next personal purchase for myself, I think. I tried the Dior Sauvage ... for the same reasons it has become a hit , I recoiled. They still make an albeit weakened neutered version of Eau Sauvage (c. 1963) so that’s the preferred standby for me.

An update ... I couldn’t post on TAG due to certain restrictions on where I was ...

I ended up with Jo Malone , Orange Blossom. English Pear & Freesia was a close second.

I learnt that when hit with olfactory fatigue, at least at the Dior shop, they’ll offer a small Petri dish full of coffee beans to sniff to clear the senses.

I came across an interesting fragrance for men by Shiseido c.2005 that seems to have been largely ignored or unnoticed ... called “MEN”. ( not the one called ZEN). It’s not distinct nor unique but it’s memorable ... the middle , base note includes Japanese cypress aka hinoki. The last thing one wants is a fragrance that so many others are wearing, so the fact it’s escaped attention of the masses is a positive. Hinoki isn’t the same as the middle eastern oud which is now coming out in releases by all major houses, including/esp. Tom Ford.... but it’s a close subtler close cousin. 2005 may have been too early. Anyways, that’s the next personal purchase for myself, I think. I tried the Dior Sauvage ... for the same reasons it has become a hit , I recoiled. They still make an albeit weakened neutered version of Eau Sauvage (c. 1963) so that’s the preferred standby for me.

Wow,,, Jo Malone!!! I know that one. It's very nice, feminine, professional!! Also, it's a high end purfume. She must be a very lucky one! I wish I had a close friend like you from the office! ^ - ^

Nice choice.
The English Pear is my favorite on a woman although Orance blossom is really nice too.

I know this is a ladies Low Du Twalette question but since you didnt ask, in the sweltering heat of the summer, the Buta likes to slather his grand corpus with St. Johns Bay Rum aftershave. It is highly evocative of Carribean breezes, Cinnabon, cheap cigars and Hawaiian Tropic Sun Tan Oil SPF Zero. Drives the delicate and discerning ladies towards the nearest exit. The less discerning party girls, who are likely to have an interest in The Buta, are drawn in like flies to shit. In the less sultry situations, The Buta relies on his own self-generated pheremone-laden Buta Musk.

7735lrg-275x300.jpeg

Reactions: NorthTriangle