Guest viewing is limited

Sending Cash from PayPal to a J-Bank

MossBoss

Hello
Reaction score
I have in excess of 1,000 US dollars in PayPal. Previously, I have sent PayPal cash to a UK bank with no problems and no fees (or a tiny commission if they took anything).

Has anyone sent PayPal cash to a Japanese bank? I’m thinking about sending the money to a Japanese bank via a Visa debit card.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

My comment is a big guffaw which morphs into a belly laugh and then finish’s with a giggle. I might be wrong, in which case, I will be genuinely surprised, but I think the likelihood of any Japanese bank having anything to do with PayPal is somewhere between zero and fuck all. But I could be wrong. It’s just that in my experience, when you try to do anything even remotely out of the ordinary, they look at you like you are Pablo Escobar with a gym bag full of blood stained wads of 20s.

My comment is a big guffaw which morphs into a belly laugh and then finish’s with a giggle. I might be wrong, in which case, I will be genuinely surprised, but I think the likelihood of any Japanese bank having anything to do with PayPal is somewhere between zero and fuck all. But I could be wrong. It’s just that in my experience, when you try to do anything even remotely out of the ordinary, they look at you like you are Pablo Escobar with a gym bag full of blood stained wads of 20s.

Completely untrue. I use my Japan paypal account with Japanese banks. They have partnerships with Mizuho, SMBC and others.

Reactions: Sudsy and MossBoss
Thanks Goiter,
I’ll test it out with a hundred dollars and see if it is accepted.

Regards,

MossBoss

Reactions: Goiter
Completely untrue. I use my Japan paypal account with Japanese banks. They have partnerships with Mizuho, SMBC and others.
Wow. Is it through the credit card companies? My Paypal is linked to my credit card which is linked to my Mizuho account. I never receive money via Paypal, only send. Have you been able to deposit funds from Paypal into a Mizuho or other J bank account? That is what the OP is asking. As I said, am likely to be wrong.

Reactions: MossBoss
I’ve only ever done JPY though. No idea if USD will cause a system meltdown.....

I’ve only ever done JPY though. No idea if USD will cause a system meltdown.....
PayPal does the conversion - it’s not so favorable, but it should be fine.

I have 2 PayPal accounts (Japan and US) storing JPY and USD, never had any issues moving cash around. One of those is premier or business account... not sure if that really makes much difference. My Japanese bank has no issues...

Reactions: Negi77 and MossBoss
Has anyone sent PayPal cash to a Japanese bank?

Sure, I sell hard to find Japanese car parts on Ebay now and again.

Transfers take a couple of days, 300 yen fee IIRC. No receiving fee on this end. I've done transfers over a million yen with no issues.

You may have to have a PayPal premium account to move money to your bank which is the detail most might not know.
I think this was how it worked.

After digging around on the Internet - it seems that to send money to a Japanese bank I would need a Japanese PayPal account.

Also officially, you are only allowed one PayPal account (although an extra business PayPal account is permitted).

it seems that to send money to a Japanese bank I would need a Japanese PayPal account.

Ah, yes, that is a requirement. You can convert your account easily enough. The ID requirements can take a bit to process though...

I have two accounts with zero issues. I do use different email accounts though.

Reactions: just4fun
I have two accounts with zero issues. I do use different email accounts though.

My two are
1) Japan account - Went through the whole ID process to get it open, works fine for my purposes. It's connected to my Japanese Bank+credit card.
2) U.S. Account - Set it up when PayPal was fairly new, it's now a Premiere account and it's connected to my American bank+credit card.

Both use unique emails and of course I have a Japan and U.S. address to use.

Reactions: Negi77 and impish
My two are
1) Japan account - Went through the whole ID process to get it open, works fine for my purposes. It's connected to my Japanese Bank+credit card.
2) U.S. Account - Set it up when PayPal was fairly new, it's now a Premiere account and it's connected to my American bank+credit card.

Both use unique emails and of course I have a Japan and U.S. address to use.

Bingo. Virtually identical to me.

My had my name in English format and my Japanese bank reorganized my name into the Japanese format. When I tried to put money in my PayPal the bank (after 2 hours of going back and forth plus phone calls) said the bank won't recognize my PayPal as me to connect. Because my name is in a different order. the stupidity level of Japan is amazingly high. So done!

the stupidity level of Japan is amazingly high.

The number of people that rationalise their lack of understanding of the systems as Japan being "stupid" is amazingly high. ;)

What you're dealing with is a common complaint for recent arrivals dealing with banks.

Paypal uses a surname and given name(s) field. The form you used to open your bank account has a 姓 (surname) and 名 (given name) field.

One of these was filled out incorrectly, most likely the bank form. The good news is that the bank form is actually a very simple fix, takes about five minutes and can be done at any branch of your bank.

I have a handful of bank accounts that were all opened by various company secretaries for me during my early days in Japan, all using various forms of my name - think Edward, Ed, Edd, Eddie, etc. and a couple with the names reversed.

I took an afternoon and went around to each of the banks with ID, now they all match (and use my proper registered name).

FWIW, 姓 (surname) and 名 (given name) each have legally distinct meanings, and cannot be used interchangeably by financial institutions as per FSA regulation. This is for customer protection and security, not simply for reasons of pedantry.

Oh, and nice to see you back, Spicy! :)

Last edited: