Guest viewing is limited

Sending Money

bbwintokyo2018

TAG Member
Reaction score
I’ve sent money 3 times using Western Union. My Uncle told me that I should stop because here in Japan, everything is recorded. Since I dont have proper work visa, They might ask where Im getting the money. Is it true? Im planning to send my brother’s tuition. But I’m a lil hesistant. Thanks in advance.

I’ve sent money 3 times using Western Union. My Uncle told me that I should stop because here in Japan, everything is recorded. Since I dont have proper work visa, They might ask where Im getting the money. Is it true? Im planning to send my brother’s tuition. But I’m a lil hesistant. Thanks in advance.

Well, all wire transfers are recorded. Some services are easier to use than others. (i.e. you need a resident card/my number record) There’s no law saying you can’t send money... if someone were to really ever ask, you can just say you are sending money from your personal cash.

Well, all wire transfers are recorded. Some services are easier to use than others. (i.e. you need a resident card/my number record) There’s no law saying you can’t send money... if someone were to really ever ask, you can just say you are sending money from your personal cash.
Thanks Cris.

If you transfer more than Yen 1 million (or its equivalent in a foreign currency) at one go, the bank (or Western Union) is obliged to report your transaction to the tax authority. Once reported, the tax authority sometimes requests the sender to provide further information about the transfer in writing. If the amount you transfer is well below Yen 1 million, your transfer is recorded but will not be reported to the tax authority.

If you transfer more than Yen 1 million (or its equivalent in a foreign currency) at one go, the bank (or Western Union) is obliged to report your transaction to the tax authority. Once reported, the tax authority sometimes requests the sender to provide further information about the transfer in writing. If the amount you transfer is well below Yen 1 million, your transfer is recorded but will not be reported to the tax authority.
Thank you so much.

Also worth noting that this information is not shared with immigration unless you actually get charged for tax evasion.

I wonder if there is any stealth merit in using Transferwise, Western Union and maybe a city bank alternately. Say if you did 3 transaction of 99man every month with Transferwise vs one with each each month, I wonder if that would be less likely to get flagged.

Reactions: bbwintokyo2018
I wonder if there is any stealth merit in using Transferwise, Western Union and maybe a city bank alternately. Say if you did 3 transaction of 99man every month with Transferwise vs one with each each month, I wonder if that would be less likely to get flagged.

First the one million limit is not that strict, be assured your 990k will look very suspicious, especially when repeated.

And from next year you won't be getting your money transferred to the Japanese bank unless they have your MyNumber. So tax office getting the information of all your transfers will be just one click away anyway.

First the one million limit is not that strict, be assured your 990k will look very suspicious, especially when repeated.

And from next year you won't be getting your money transferred to the Japanese bank unless they have your MyNumber. So tax office getting the information of all your transfers will be just one click away anyway.

Reactions: Sudsy and MikeH
That doesn’t work. The data is collated. Patterns are searched for and detected. AML and ATF are bloody serious regulations these days.
Basically just assume that the relevant government bodies know. Because they do.

That doesn’t work. The data is collated. Patterns are searched for and detected. AML and ATF are bloody serious regulations these days.
Basically just assume that the relevant government bodies know. Because they do.
I assume you are being silly. If not, you are paranoid.

He's not being entirely paranoid. A better way to phrase it might be that they have the information, should they care to peruse it. Because they do have it - but they have so much of it that unless you get their attention, none of it really stands out.

He's not being entirely paranoid. A better way to phrase it might be that they have the information, should they care to peruse it. Because they do have it - but they have so much of it that unless you get their attention, none of it really stands out.

And nowadays with FATCA and CRS and our own MyNumber they have much easier access to that information than ever before. It used to require effort from the Japanese tax man to get your foreign bank accounts, now it needs a few clicks in computer.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
A
And nowadays with FATCA and CRS and our own MyNumber they have much easier access to that information than ever before. It used to require effort from the Japanese tax man to get your foreign bank accounts, now it needs a few clicks in computer.
Agree with all of this. I got my house in order in advance of CRS.

Neither.
The data is collated and regularly pattern scanned. If you are doing anything remotely nefarious or even curious it will be flagged and followed up.
I know this because I do this professionally.
No one cares about you paying off your student loans but if it smells like terrorist financing for example, it will be investigated.

Neither.
The data is collated and regularly pattern scanned. If you are doing anything remotely nefarious or even curious it will be flagged and followed up.
I know this because I do this professionally.
No one cares about you paying off your student loans but if it smells like terrorist financing for example, it will be investigated.
I better not say anything because I am sure the authorities in the Japanese Deep State are monitoring this thread. The phrase ‘smells like terrorism’ must have triggered the algorithm. Quick delete everything and destroy your iPhone! Any second now Matt Damon is going to rappel through your window and assault you with a rolled up magazine!

I better not say anything because I am sure the authorities in the Japanese Deep State are monitoring this thread. The phrase ‘smells like terrorism’ must have triggered the algorithm. Quick delete everything and destroy your iPhone! Any second now Matt Damon is going to rappel through your window and assault you with a rolled up magazine!
you are way too small to be bothered, don’t worry. It’s the likes of Carlos Gohn and the real criminals that keep the regulators busy.

you are way too small to be bothered, don’t worry. It’s the likes of Carlos Gohn and the real criminals that keep the regulators busy.
Thank you so much. I will sleep well tonight.