Guest viewing is limited

Serious topic : how not to pay a rent in Japan?

Thanks a lot for all the ideas and the funny comments ;)

As warubuta hinted, everything I own can be stored in a big backpack.
But honestly, I would like to avoid a homeless-like kind of lifestyle.

True that there are lot's of very cheap rents in Chiba.
With big surfaces too.

A two storey house in which I could sub-rent a floor would be the best even if it's almost impossible to find unfortunately.

I just had another idea though: rent a place large enough and offer people who lack space at home to use some of my space as storage room for their stuff in exchange of a monthly fee. Since nobody else lives in my apartment, maybe I don't need to have the landlord's approval (need to make sure of that though). With enough clients the whole rent could be covered.
Young man, if you had any possibility of making something out of yourself in this country, you would have removed the word “Chiba” from your vocabulary a long time ago.

it would help if I didn't have to pay for it while I'm being away

everything I own can be stored in a big backpack.

Obvious I guess, but there is a well-known solution to this combination of goal and situation. They are called hotels (upscale or down) as well as hostels, serviced apartments, Airbnb places etc. In other words, you can just rent short-term space while you are in Japan, carry everything you own with you, and have no lodging expenses for places you aren't using. And if you have a few things you don't want to lug around the world with you, you might well be able to convince a friend to store them for you while you're traveling for free, maybe in return for some favor you do him/her.

I actually have an SB, I think of her as "the nomad SB", wanders the world living like this and has been doing so happily for years. In her case she often doesn't even have to pay anything for lodging where she is at the time because some SD of hers (usually me when she's in Tokyo) is happy (to put it mildly) to have her move in with him.

-Ww

The short term accommodations can become very expensive and there are times when you need longer stays as well.

Another thing to keep in mind is that passive revenue is much smarter because it will keep supporting you when you have health problems for example. You never know what's coming next in life so, I'm more focused on the passive revenue side. Also friends aren't always reliable. They can have their own problems too.

Obvious I guess, but there is a well-known solution to this combination of goal and situation. They are called hotels (upscale or down) as well as hostels, serviced apartments, Airbnb places etc. In other words, you can just rent short-term space while you are in Japan, carry everything you own with you, and have no lodging expenses for places you aren't using. And if you have a few things you don't want to lug around the world with you, you might well be able to convince a friend to store them for you while you're traveling for free, maybe in return for some favor you do him/her.

I actually have an SB, I think of her as "the nomad SB", wanders the world living like this and has been doing so happily for years. In her case she often doesn't even have to pay anything for lodging where she is at the time because some SD of hers (usually me when she's in Tokyo) is happy (to put it mildly) to have her move in with him.

-Ww

The short term accommodations can become very expensive and there are times when you need longer stays as well.

Another thing to keep in mind is that passive revenue is much smarter because it will keep supporting you when you have health problems for example. You never know what's coming next in life so, I'm more focused on the passive revenue side. Also friends aren't always reliable. They can have their own problems too.

All very true, but I hope you aren't expecting to find a way to do what you wish that has no serious downsides at all, not even potential ones. The technical name for that is "naive wishful thinking", imo.

Short term accommodations don't have to be all that expensive if you are willing to make compromises on quality and location etc...but then those are downsides too.

-Ww

"naive wishful thinking" is a term used by those who didn't spend time enough to research the sweet spot and prefered to give up based on social constructs. Every problem has its solution and most of the time these solutions are far from being orthodox. So there must be a deep level of thinking outside the box.

The technical name for that is "naive wishful thinking",
-Ww

"naive wishful thinking" is a term used by those who didn't spend time enough to research the sweet spot and prefered to give up based on social constructs. Every problem has its solution and most of the time these solutions are far from being orthodox. So there must be a deep level of thinking outside the box.

Ironically I get paid, quite a bit actually, specifically for what could very well be called “a deep level of thinking outside the box“, but if you want to live rent free without any significant downside, I admit defeat on this project. But anyway, good luck to you!

-Ww

Passive revenue is an option only for people who have investable capital. Do you have any investable capital? No, I didn’t think so. So my suggestion, since you are young and have a brain (debatable) and a strong back, is that you get ACTIVE right now and stop with the silly ideas about how ‘passive revenue is better’ and other such fokeldoddle and make yourself useful someplace where you can learn something about life and work and getting ahead in the world. Get an entry level job where you are around smart and financially successful businessmen like @MikeH or @Frenchy and where to can learn something from them. Get off the couch. Get off the internet. Get out of the door and get to work. There ain’t no free!

Ironically I get paid, quite a bit actually, specifically for what could very well be called “a deep level of thinking outside the box“, but if you want to live rent free without any significant downside, I admit defeat on this project. But anyway, good luck to you!

-Ww
People who talk about how smart and how rich they are are almost always neither.

Okay, I'll soon enter my 50's, I have quite a lot of savings in the bank already and I'd rather not use it for investments, and since I don't buy useless stuff my average salary (38man/month) mostly turns into savings right away.

That being said, toying with the idea of having a passive revenue paying your rent is quite entertaining. I won't be in trouble if I don't find the way but I'll be quite proud of me when I find it.

Passive revenue is an option only for people who have investable capital. Do you have any investable capital? .... Get out of the door and get to work. There ain’t no free!

Reactions: warubuta
Okay, I'll soon enter my 50's, I have quite a lot of savings in the bank already and I'd rather not use it for investments, and since I don't buy useless stuff my average salary (38man/month) mostly turns into savings right away.

That being said, toying with the idea of having a passive revenue paying your rent is quite entertaining. I won't be in trouble if I don't find the way but I'll be quite proud of me when I find it.
If you have savings in yen in a Japanese bank, these savings are deteriorating at a rate of about 2 percent per year because you are not earning interest and inflation in Japan is now nearing 2 percent. Rather than living rent free and passive income, why don’t you focus on plugging the leaks in your boat?

Okay, after much consideration, the best option will be to rent a two storey house to a landlord who doesn't mind subrenting, live in the upper floor and sub-rent the lower one as an office space targeted to freelancers who work online and who have enough working alone at home. I know for sure there is a market for that.

Now, finding the right place/landlord won't be easy :(

I know for sure there is a market for that.

Now, finding the right place/landlord won't be easy :(

Yeah, we know there is a market for that because that market already exists and is very highly competed. So better make sure you have something to offer that others don't. And you are correct, it all starts with the right place, meaning it really does need to be in easily accessible place which probably means close to a big station which then means expensive.