Shall we be proud of new iPhone 8 holder, or else???

iPhone 8 or wait for iPhone Ⅹ?

• Total voters
Wait, what? I thought that was the whole product appeal with Apple?

Still makes me smile when I see all the broken iPhone screens in trains. Maybe the user interface in Android is not as great but at least Android users can afford to have unbroken phones with them.

Depends. My phone is a business tool, not a toy. You won't find a game app on my phone. :p
Ok, ok, so yeah, I use it for social stuff, that's not business. :D

Broken screens... just lazy or careless, it doesn't cost much to fix them if you know which shop does the best work.

Reactions: Yuriko
Broken screens... just lazy or careless, it doesn't cost much to fix them if you know which shop does the best work.

And it costs even less if you don't know. :D

But earnestly, there are like several of those shops per any block in Akihabara and one per block everywhere else too so I find it hard to believe people wouldn't know they could fix them.

My guess everyone is just trying to sail through the two year contract so they can switch to a newer phone "for free". People are just not good with everyday mathematics.

Ugh don't remind me. After years of being snobbish about never breaking my screen I fumbled it out of my pocket 2 weeks ago and destroyed the screen. Even after getting the screen replaced it wouldn't work right and I had to get a new one as well. I'm being extra careful now.

I am probably not going to upgrade. I have a 6s that I barely use because I am on a PC all the time and can do 90% of what I would do on a phone on the computer.

I won't get the X because of the facial recognition. I may get an 8 next summer before the 9 and 11s are released.

Reactions: Yuriko
Also, you could get Apple Care for ¥10,000 if anything breaks, or if the battery becomes crap after 2 years it gets replaced for free. I made sure to get a new battery every year. Apple Care saved me when my phone after 2 years stopped responding to any input. Walked in and Apple gave me a new phone on the spot.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Interesting update from Apple regarding Face ID: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208108.

The statistical probability is different for twins and siblings that look like you and among children under the age of 13, because their distinct facial features may not have fully developed. If you're concerned about this, we recommend using a passcode to authenticate.

i am waiting for iPhone X. The only main difference between X and 8Plus are the display and 3D Sensors. I have a 6Plus. So far 8/8Plus/x 's processing power surpass every smartphone on the market. Almost double from 7 / 7Plus if my math is correct. I am looking forward to a new phone. Only catch is how fast before Apple ran out of stock and push back delivery dates.

Wait, what? I thought that was the whole product appeal with Apple?

Still makes me smile when I see all the broken iPhone screens in trains. Maybe the user interface in Android is not as great but at least Android users can afford to have unbroken phones with them.

My iPhone screen unfortunately got entirely cracked. I dropped it, numerous times. One time in Gotanda, in front of Uniqlo when waited my client to appear, I dropped it on the pavement!! Such an abuse! And oneday, significantly, at the office ladies room, I dropped my iPhone tripped outside of the toilette door, slided when landed on the floor, with such a noise. I thought, my iPhone screen protected me by the major negativity, attack and bad luck. In Japanese superstition, it's good to crack mirror, with negative thought, wishing for good, we have a custom to do this. I kinda thought my iPhone's action was my protection!
Just carelessness and I've also had people tell me that they had know idea that they could get their screen replaced* instead of getting a new phone.

(*there are however some low quality chinese knockoff screens floating around, don't go for the 6-8,000 yen repairs. Go for ~10-12,000 yen, those are much better quality. Cost varies based on size, model/age of phone.)

That's why, I decided to buy a new one! Mine totally cracked!

Just carelessness and I've also had people tell me that they had know idea that they could get their screen replaced* instead of getting a new phone.

(*there are however some low quality chinese knockoff screens floating around, don't go for the 6-8,000 yen repairs. Go for ~10-12,000 yen, those are much better quality. Cost varies based on size, model/age of phone.)

It always baffles me with the broken screens. How do people manage to do that? Never ever had I a broken screen with an iPhone. Not even a scratch... are people throwing their phones around or what?

You first think, you'd never want to drop and crack the iphone screen. If it happens once or twice, you'll get used to dropping it. I bet even a perfectionist may have a chance to drop and crack his/ her iphone screen! If never dropped, then should be proud, yourself!!!

iPhone 8 update

Currently, I'm having an issue that I can't see photos on certain website. Photos on TAG I can't see them, Rakuten shops I got to tether my 6S, so that I can do the shopping...

I guess, that's because the new pic setting, which is not in JPEG that causes? or what? I need to find out how I'd solve this issue...
Any ideas???

Attachments

• 2FA96113-8D75-485B-96FC-F9E383D9450C.png
    2FA96113-8D75-485B-96FC-F9E383D9450C.png
    357.9 KB · Views: 93
  • E867A444-3952-4126-9692-2988DEF34A3F.png
    E867A444-3952-4126-9692-2988DEF34A3F.png
    372.8 KB · Views: 98
Probably because you're using a VPN. Turn off the VPN and see if the situation changes.
That's just a guess plus TAG at least, blocks VPN traffic that causes us problems by people trying to hide from detection.

I went ahead and ordered a 256gb 8 in Space Grey.

The shop staff said they had 64gb of White and Rose, but no Space Grey or any 256gb models at all.

Wait time is 1-2 weeks at most.

My current 6 is having a mind of its own with the touch screen issues. Hard to do much without it flipping out.

Probably because you're using a VPN. Turn off the VPN and see if the situation changes.
That's just a guess plus TAG at least, blocks VPN traffic that causes us problems by people trying to hide from detection.

How can you tell if someone is coming over a VPN or not, I thought that was kind of the purpose of VPN.

How can you tell if someone is coming over a VPN or not, I thought that was kind of the purpose of VPN.

Similarly than Netflix can know you are using VPN. The IP address blocks the VPN providers use are (usually) well known.

Reactions: TAG Manager
It's stupidly easy to mark VPN users.
At least for TAG, there's no point to using a VPN. We only go digging for info when someone suspicious is doing something that they shouldn't. If they're on a VPN, we shut it down. VPN's are mainly good for corporate use, placeshifting (Netflix) or private networking for firewalled resources.

FYI, some of the links on TAG to Japanese websites are blocking overseas access, I have to sign into VPN servers in Japan, in order to see them.

FYI, some of the links on TAG to Japanese websites are blocking overseas access, I have to sign into VPN servers in Japan, in order to see them.
Yes. A number of sites in Japan geo-fence themselves to Japan only. In that case a placeshifting VPN helps unblock those sites.

Deep packet inspection and some pattern matching of common VPN implementation patterns. It is very easy to understand for those who are familiar with OSI model ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model ). For example, typical internet router would look at Layer 3 because it needs to know addresses for source and destination to decide where packet should go further. Now deep packet inspection happens when given system/software would look at layer higher it needs to, thus going "deeper" into packet.
For example, if you detect that packets use tcp protocol and destination is set to port
1723 and at the same time you also detect packets with GRE protocol and port 47, then it is very likely that PPTP is being used.

Last edited:
Deep packet inspection and some pattern matching of common VPN implementation patterns. It is very easy to understand for those who are familiar with OSI model ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model ). For example, typical internet router would look at Layer 3 because it needs to know addresses for source and destination to decide where packet should go further. Now deep packet inspection happens when given system/software would look at layer higher it needs to, thus going "deeper" into packet.
For example, if you detect that packets use tcp protocol and destination is set to port
1723 and at the same time you also detect packets with GRE protocol and port 47, then it is very likely that PPTP is being used.
Good thing only maybe <5% of the people here are going to understand that. :)

Good thing only maybe <5% of the people here are going to understand that. :)
For those who didn't I hope it at least sparked their curiosity :)

At least for TAG, there's no point to using a VPN.
It make sense to use VPN over not fully trusted internet connection, i.e. those who read it from computer at work. Of course, with SSL/TLS it won't be possible to read the actual content client sends/receives, but network admins will still be able to see the address of the server:)