Shopping for big guys!

van Hellsing

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

in April I will be back in Tokyo and one of my main things will be shopping. Last time I was in the funky fashion streets of Shibuya and Harajuku but I'm pretty far away from the size theye are offering there!
Now I was wondering, where does a sumo wrestler goes shopping when he wanna look for some nice stuff. Also I have seen some japanese guys with a bit more on their hips and cool fashion too.

Thanks for some shopping tipps :)

And no, I'm not the size of a sumo wrestler, the stork had just delivered a bigger package than on regular day ;)

Greetings, van Hellsing

I honestly have no idea... I'm pretty Average in size and even I have a hard time finding clothes that really fit in Japan.

Those sumo guys are always wearing their traditional garb which fits them well. But yes, I'm sure there's clothes for them in Japan...

Larger J-girls order clothes online, maybe it's the same for men?

I've actually heard there's some 'big and tall' type places in and near Ryugoku, which is the center of the sumo world in Tokyo. I'm not sure if that's still accurate though. Even regular size guys have tough times finding clothes and shoes that fit them, though. I wouldn't count on finding something stylish as in stuff you'll find in Shibuya though.

I've actually heard there's some 'big and tall' type places in and near Ryugoku, which is the center of the sumo world in Tokyo. I'm not sure if that's still accurate though. Even regular size guys have tough times finding clothes and shoes that fit them, though. I wouldn't count on finding something stylish as in stuff you'll find in Shibuya though.
That makes sense and I remember hearing that in passing somewhere...

The Sakazen stores have big and tall floors.

I always get my clothes back in the US, finding size in Japan is waste time and money.I am an American L or XL and finding decent clothes at that size is almost impossible or costs fortunes.Believe it or not,
I once tried to find shoes (US12.5) in Ueno for 4 hours before giving up.
For anyone who is tall or big in Japanese standards, I advice you to stock up at your home country before going to Japan.

Those Big and Tall places in Japan often sell cheap shit or overpriced shit, alot of the things would be half or even 1/3 the price back in the US.
Jeans, I fucking love my Levi's and I'm not exactly skinny, if you are a size 34 or above in jean size, GET PANTS BEFORE YOU COME OR GET FUCKED BY THE TINY SIZE IN JAPAN.

For anyone really desperate for decent clothes, Ralph Lauren and Brooks Brothers usually have up to XL for certain items.

And damn, feels good to be back in civilization.

Last edited:
Shoes are a complete no go in Japan for me. I always bring back pairs with me from overseas. Japan shoes may be good with length but it's usually too tight no matter what due to width.

And damn, feels good to be back in civilization.
Welcome back. It's good to see you again! Your absence was noticed.

Thanks for all the replys but I think i will skip that point on my list! In germany I need something between 3XL and 5XL, depending which shop I go so in Japan this would be impossible to find something. I think I will look around for a nice yukata for sumos and thats it!

Thanks guys :)

Reactions: TAG Manager
Sakazen is another place with large sizes: http://www.sakazen.co.jp/

A walk down past Okachimachi would have got you to Kutsu no Hikari: https://goo.gl/maps/QJLXMCK43hD2

Fortunately I'm of average-ish "Western" size so have a fighting chance of fitting the larger Japanese sizes. If I get lucky I can find a shop with shoes advertised as being up to my size (Japanese 28) but more often than not they don't actually have any in stock.

"JeansMate" is another place which tends to stock larger sizes (though maybe not US mountain-sized XXXXXL stuff). Mind you apart from the actual jeans I never found anything there I'd actually want to wear, and I'm no fashionista.

A few years ago my girlfriend at the time decided to buy me a nice shirt from a US fashion label so she went online and ordered the largest size from an importer and it turned out to be the *US* largest size and the thing which turned up was literally big enough for both of us (and she was no tiny Japanese thing either).