*sigh* Soft Power and selling your brand, then failing at it.

Maybe its because us Europeans are better taken care of than American citizen even will be.

And if we talk shit about US presidents, news flash, its probably because its true and because BOTH parties are right wingers that care more about companies than about people.
tumblr_o3on6jTP0C1qds5ako1_500.gif

When I hear this kind of talk about Americans I can't help but laugh at the comedic elephant in the parlor - how this attitude essentially abdicates any responsibility their own politicians and political system should have for how the world at large is being run.

I like to point this out with a comment like - "Yeah, it's so sad that your national constitution forbids your leaders from doing anything which the president of the US doesn't like"

Reactions: TheScientist
When I hear this kind of talk about Americans I can't help but laugh at the comedic elephant in the parlor - how this attitude essentially abdicates any responsibility their own politicians and political system should have for how the world at large is being run.

I like to point this out with a comment like - "Yeah, it's so sad that your national constitution forbids your leaders from doing anything which the president of the US doesn't like"

Not so sure Oliver implied that. In fact he did say that Germany (reluctantly), China, Russia fill the vacuum in a way. Personnally I always thought the US were the strongest nation, thats a fact, but certainly not the only one deciding the fate of the world. Heck a US president doesnt even have the power to do many things on his own turf apparently. Same for a French one by the way.

Reactions: warubuta
In fact he did say that Germany (reluctantly),

Germany hasn't done squat but contribute to to the future Caliphate of Eurabia. That bit of noise in the press about Germany taking the leadership of Europe? What did Angie end up doing? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Its kind of hilarious how they make all this good weaponry for war on land but won't even contribute to peacekeeping in hot spots. Even more hilarious how badly their recent naval uplift program failed. The new ships not only failed every sea test but when not in motion they lean to the left rather severely!

China, Russia fill the vacuum in a way.

But as above, thats just not really true either. I don't know if you remember China's attempt to soft power in the US with their Confucius Institute program. Lots of money spent and zero results. I'm betting their "New Silk Road" initiative is gonna flame out as well.

BTW I'm looking forward to the revival of the idea of France & Britain sharing an aircraft carrier despite Brexit but then both discovering they cant even afford to maintain their half :ROFLMAO:

I'm just yanking your chain, France is actually good with soft power.

I am very simple man...I hope Trump:
1. Doesn't get us into war with North Korea, especially when I am in Japan.
2. Doesn't ruin the economy to the point where the Dollar/Yen value makes it hard for me to P4P in Japan...

If the Trump and Obama Presidencies show us anything, it’s that the POTUS can’t do shit and doesn’t mean shit anymore because Zuckerberg and his ilk have the electorate fragmented into a hundred different reality bubbles.

Germany hasn't done squat but contribute to to the future Caliphate of Eurabia. That bit of noise in the press about Germany taking the leadership of Europe? What did Angie end up doing? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Its kind of hilarious how they make all this good weaponry for war on land but won't even contribute to peacekeeping in hot spots. Even more hilarious how badly their recent naval uplift program failed. The new ships not only failed every sea test but when not in motion they lean to the left rather severely!

But as above, thats just not really true either. I don't know if you remember China's attempt to soft power in the US with their Confucius Institute program. Lots of money spent and zero results. I'm betting their "New Silk Road" initiative is gonna flame out as well.

BTW I'm looking forward to the revival of the idea of France & Britain sharing an aircraft carrier despite Brexit but then both discovering they cant even afford to maintain their half :ROFLMAO:

I'm just yanking your chain, France is actually good with soft power.

China is buying land, resources, and is building military ports and bases in various places , sometimes quite far from their mainland (Africa for instance). Discretely , slowly, but surely. I would not be as dismissive as their efforts.

As for Russia, well I dont know if their trolls farm counts as “soft power” but it seemed a cheap and efficient way to make a nice mess.

Reactions: TheScientist
China is buying land, resources, and is building military ports and bases in various places , sometimes quite far from their mainland (Africa for instance). Discretely , slowly, but surely. I would not be as dismissive as their efforts.
True. But they obviously have no interest in foisting their political ideology on anyone anymore. They just want to sell everyone more cheap plastic shit. Who cares. The US should get out of the Pacific. Good thing the Russians aren’t as economically successful as the Chinese or we would have a lot to worry about.

Reactions: ur19877

PLA expansion is a concern but their bases in Africa aren’t soft power because they aren’t creating local jobs. All the work is done by Chinese labor. The local warlords/politicians line their pockets but the people get nothing.

US bases definitely do soft power by creating local jobs and community service/outreach programs.

As for Russia, well I dont know if their trolls farm counts as “soft power” but it seemed a cheap and efficient way to make a nice mess.

That’s an interesting point but since we now have full confirmation (thanks to the Dutch) that it was Russian intelligence agencies at work, that’s not soft power in any usual sense.

PLA expansion is a concern but their bases in Africa aren’t soft power because they aren’t creating local jobs. All the work is done by Chinese labor. The local warlords/politicians line their pockets but the people get nothing.

US bases definitely do soft power by creating local jobs and community service/outreach programs.

That’s an interesting point but since we now have full confirmation (thanks to the Dutch) that it was Russian intelligence agencies at work, that’s not soft power in any usual sense.

Ok , I get it. It all depends how one defines “soft power” . In the case of France I suppose it means Chanel, Romanee-Conti, camembert, Moulin Rouge, Mont-Saint-Michel etc :D

I am very simple man...I hope Trump:
1. Doesn't get us into war with North Korea, especially when I am in Japan.
2. Doesn't ruin the economy to the point where the Dollar/Yen value makes it hard for me to P4P in Japan...
Yeah, lets go back to basics: staying alive / having the means to fuck. I dont expect any head of state to provide me this, just to not mess up things so much it becomes impossible. Damn we put the bar very very low when it comes to expectations from governments! :D

Reactions: ur19877
Hey now. Some of my best friends are creeps.

There is a fine line between a pervert and a creep and it's the one I hope I'll never cross.

Personnally I had much respect for Reagan, Bush Senior, Clinton, Obama.

Clinton? I have great admiration for Kennedy. He was banging Marilyn after all. But "I am the most powerful man in the world, let's have this plain looking woman suck my dick" is definitely nothing worth admiring.

Clinton? I have great admiration for Kennedy. He was banging Marilyn after all. But "I am the most powerful man in the world, let's have this plain looking woman suck my dick" is definitely nothing worth admiring.

To be honest I dont give a damn about this episode. since Felix Faure passed away at Elysee Palace, sucked to death by his mistress, we all became a bit blasé I guess (and it was way before I was even born!)

To be honest I dont give a damn about this episode. since Felix Faure passed away at Elysee Palace, sucked to death by his mistress, we all became a bit blasé I guess (and it was way before I was even born!)

I think you got me wrong. I have totally nothing against our dear leaders doing it with anyone. But if you are that powerful at least have the decency to bang hot girls, not ones that even I would pass on the streets without taking another look.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
I have great admiration for Kennedy. He was banging Marilyn after all.

"I’m never finished with a girl until I’ve had her three ways."
Jack Kennedy, off the record to a group of reporters

Reactions: MikeH
I think you got me wrong. I have totally nothing against our dear leaders doing it with anyone. But if you are that powerful at least have the decency to bang hot girls, not ones that even I would pass on the streets without taking another look.
No I got your point, but I wasnt clear. Even the fact that she was plain, I dont really care.
Maybe she had great BJ skills? Maybe she forced him, kind of reverse harrassment? :D

Ok , I get it. It all depends how one defines “soft power” . In the case of France I suppose it means Chanel, Romanee-Conti, camembert, Moulin Rouge, Mont-Saint-Michel etc :D
Thats my understanding of it too. But I think The Scientist is right in that creating jobs is part of it too. A great indicator of how a country does or doesnt do soft power is their embassy. Look at the US Embassy in Japan. Then look at the Sweden Center.

Thats my understanding of it too. But I think The Scientist is right in that creating jobs is part of it too. A great indicator of how a country does or doesnt do soft power is their embassy. Look at the US Embassy in Japan. Then look at the Sweden Center.
Yes, also organizing nice parties, patronizing events, giving medals etc for local VIPs. It’s true that the French are not too bad at that game. It’s relatively cheap , not so sure it brings a lot of “power” but it probably beats calling foreign countries shitholes :D

For what it’s worth...
probably not much but this time at least it’s not an evil Brit saying it :)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-worst-president-ever-obama-top-10/353024002/

History experts in New York Times op-ed: Trump worst president ever, Obama in top 10

Donald Trump is America's worst president, says a New York Times opinion piece that's based on a survey of 170 members of the American Political Science Association's Presidents and Executive Politics section. The survey was conducted by Brandon ...

For what it’s worth...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-worst-president-ever-obama-top-10/353024002/

History experts in New York Times op-ed: Trump worst president ever, Obama in top 10

Donald Trump is America's worst president, says a New York Times opinion piece that's based on a survey of 170 members of the American Political Science Association's Presidents and Executive Politics section. The survey was conducted by Brandon ...

I know that for everyone that I have to read up on why they are doing certain actions and the meaning behind it, however it is his handling of situations time and time again that have divided the nation. His attacks on media calling everything but Fox News and Breitbart fake news simply because they don't agree with him or paint him in a positive light. Now granted that there have been times *COUGH* CNN *COUGH* have said things through unverified sources, it doesn't mean that you as President should peddle fake news yourself, say "What about so and so?" as your defense to your CURRENT action, or incite fear in the masses.

His attacks on media calling everything but Fox News and Breitbart fake news

It was during one of those Gulf wars when I first watched CNN news and then Fox in succession. I was seriously wondering if USA was involved in two separate wars at the same time.

I don't really know how good is CNN but at least I was able to deduct that if I have an argument with someone and they quote Fox I can safely leave that conversation and miss nothing valuable.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
It was during one of those Gulf wars when I first watched CNN news and then Fox in succession. I was seriously wondering if USA was involved in two separate wars at the same time.

I don't really know how good is CNN but at least I was able to deduct that if I have an argument with someone and they quote Fox I can safely leave that conversation and miss nothing valuable.

CNN and NBC have from what I have seen been Pro Democrat while the Republicans have Fox News and various online news sources. The issue is that CNN and Fox deliver their news via opinion talk shows, heavily biased and only from 1 viewpoint. No one wants to be non-biased and everyone is pretty much out for themselves.

For what it’s worth...

I hate Trump as much if not more than most sane people, and would agree that he will definitely go down as one of the worse world leaders in history. He won’t reach the lofty lows that Europe has produced with Hitler, Mussolini, Leopold etc. (to put it in perspective), but he will be rated pretty poorly, no doubt. The NYT, always a left leaning but largely responsible and high quality paper, has tried to be objective, but It must be hard to do so when the President attacks and threatens individual reporters. Any survey that they do is likely valid, but I wouldn’t count on the NYT to look too hard for good things about the Trump Presidency.

He won’t reach the lofty lows that Europe has produced with Hitler, Mussolini, Leopold etc

To be fair, those three went down as evil.

Trump will be going down as incompetent.