Skiing in 2019

Bob

Enjoying life with the ladies!
Reaction score
I know there has been a thread before but that 2016. We're in 2019 now.

Any Skiiers here and what are your recommendations? Resort or good snow?

Always just one day trip to Gala Yuzawa, enough for my modest needs.
Went to Niseko once but I thought its too much of a hassle and for all the hype I expected more

Zao Onsen is also nice especially during the week when the slopes are virtually empty.

I know there has been a thread before but that 2016. We're in 2019 now.

Any Skiiers here and what are your recommendations? Resort or good snow?

Have a look at Snow Japan (www.snowjapan.com)- pretty comprehensive coverage with details of snow levels.

Close to Tokyo, I regularly visit the Kagura, Tashiro and Mitsumata area( near Yuzawa/Naeba). Not looking like a great season so you need to track snowfalls closely.

Reactions: Simonka
I'm a big fan of Shiga Kogen. Almost always deserted and high up so the snow stay fresh.
That being said, I only make day trips as the hotels up seem to be very 1970s to me.

Do enjoy a few Shiga Kogen Pale Ales at the Chalet Shiga though.

Madarao Kogen is also good.
Also had a few good days in the trees at Hakuba Cortina.

From what I understand, Myoko Kogen is getting a lot of snow this year.

My skiing experience in Japan is limited to the Ani ski area in Akita prefecture. Difficult to reach and with only two hotels nearby, but also not crowded. My impression is more people are visiting to see the ice formations (樹氷) instead of skiing.

Have a look at Snow Japan (www.snowjapan.com)- pretty comprehensive coverage with details of snow levels.

Close to Tokyo, I regularly visit the Kagura, Tashiro and Mitsumata area( near Yuzawa/Naeba). Not looking like a great season so you need to track snowfalls closely.
Thanks

It’s going to depend on a lot of different factors. Weather, crowds, specific resort.
Niseko in Hokkaido is going to be on everyone’s top five list, but Hakuba and thereabouts in Nagano is good too. Zao is very spread out and wild and the snow is usually good. A lot depends on what you are after, and how much time and money you have. The places close to Tokyo are small, crowded and kinda crappy. If the weather is good, and the snow is good, Hakuba during the week might offer the best cost performance, but 4 day packages to Hokkaido can also be cheap and the snow and mountants are that much better. If you leave Tokyo in the early morning, you can easily get in a few hours that day. Same with coming back.