Guest viewing is limited

Smoking in bars

The best thing they did to pubs in the UK was banning smoking. Don't people get annoyed with the smell of their clothes the next morning? That used to really annoy me. Tokyo does smell smokey though - bars / hotels / pink salons ;-). I can't see it changing though

Reactions: mit2UM
I've never even tried cigarettes bxt my mom chain smoked until the day it killed her so I'm used to it and the smoke doesn't bother me.

Japan has really come a long way in this regard - although I wish they would stop wasting tax money on those "no smoking" signs which most people ignore. At least they don't smoke on the trains anymore - trains used to have ash trays on the walls.

I've never even tried cigarettes bxt my mom chain smoked until the day it killed her so I'm used to it and the smoke doesn't bother me.

I almost don't notice it at all even when people are smoking next to me at bars but the smell next morning in my clothes, combined with the headache I usually have, makes me want to ban all cigarettes, hunt down the manufacturers and kill all their relatives. Slowly.

Reactions: Sudsy
I'm glad smoking in bars is still permitted in Tokyo. The hell with the mommy state.
THIS!!!

Even though I've never smoked I prefer to see people being free more than I might dislike a little smoke once in a while. Get the state and petty social restrictions out of my face when I'm trying to enjoy myself.

I almost don't notice it at all even when people are smoking next to me at bars but the smell next morning in my clothes, combined with the headache I usually have, makes me want to ban all cigarettes, hunt down the manufacturers and kill all their relatives. Slowly.
It will be better when Japan will allow selling liquid for e-cigarettes.
I only occasionally smoke real cigarettes since I started vaping two years ago and there is no bad smell with it.
In Japan they allow those aquos stuff with nicotine but not the e-liquid with nicotine and that's too bad. The ban will probably be removed when Marlboro will start making e-liquid.

I could be in the minority but I kind of think the faint smell of smoke wafting around bars and restaurants adds to the charm. I'm an ex smoker so that could explain it.

I vape exclusively now and love it. But I guess in Japan that's a no no. What's this aquos stuff?

I don't smoke and I don't go to bars.

Boring...
Boring.jpg

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
I could be in the minority but I kind of think the faint smell of smoke wafting around bars and restaurants adds to the charm. I'm an ex smoker so that could explain it.

I vape exclusively now and love it. But I guess in Japan that's a no no. What's this aquos stuff?
I feel the same about faint smoke smell, it ads something exciting.

I've known people who vape and seen some vape shops in japan but i think it was without nicotine (?(

I'm an off and on again smoker so the smoking doesn't bother me. To be completely honest though, I love it. I even love the smell of fresh second hand smoke more than smoking itself sometimes. I know, I'm disgusting, a monster. I agree with others that it adds excitement or something to the air... besides cancer. There's just something very pleasureable about sitting at a bar while enjoying a drink and smoke to me.

Honestly, I prefer nonsmoking places (and nonsmoking providers) - as others have pointed out, the smell on my clothing and in my hair afterwards is unpleasant.

I prefer being around people smoking marijuana. At least that smells pleasant.

I feel the same about faint smoke smell, it ads something exciting.

I've known people who vape and seen some vape shops in japan but i think it was without nicotine (?(

No nicotine vapes? That's rough. Last time I was in Japan I didn't bring my vape gear (wanted to avoid any possible troubles). I made it about a week until the nicotine monkey managed to convince me to buy a pack of smokes at 7/11. Guess I'll have to plan better for next time.

I am sensitive to smoke fumes and prefer nonsmoking places especially while eating. The worst is when the smell is lingering in my hair the rest of the night. I even make my husband take a shower after going to a strip club because I can't stand the scent of cigarettes on his body. It kills the mood a little but otherwise it's like licking an ashtray.:yuck:

I think the way they got it banned in Europe was to argue it is a health hazard for the people working in those restaurants and pubs.

This.

It is perfectly well documented that smoke raises substantially the probability of having cancer. In any other industry, people working in a cancerigen ambient would wear a gas mask.

It would not be allowed that an employer asks a worker to work in a place with asbestos without protection. Then, why is there people working in a place filled of tabaco smoke without any protection?

Reactions: mit2UM and MikeH
I have slight asthma and am always happy when there are more places I can go without feeling like I'm being choked. Sorry smokers.