Guest viewing is limited

Social Gym in Tokyo

IronGiant

TAG Member
Reaction score
Thinking about changing gyms and whether I could meet new people at the same time. Any recommendations for a gym in Tokyo that (a) has a good social vibe, (b) is really more of a social club, or (c) is really more of a meat market? Location is not so important -- if it's good enough then I'm willing to travel there. Thanks.

Tipness seems to get discussed a bit in my social circles... and those ANYTIME Fitness 24 Hour places are just a blackhole from what I've heard.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
ANYTIME Fitness 24 Hour places are just a blackhole

Black hole? meaning socially? Or that they're just crappy gyms? I had been looking at them since one opened up near our office....

Black hole? meaning socially? Or that they're just crappy gyms? I had been looking at them since one opened up near our office....
Sorry, what I meant is that, because it's 24 hours... the people that are in there are (usually) devoid of any personality. A soulless black hole...
Granted, maybe different areas have different crowds... and I've only been to 3 locations.

Sorry, what I meant is that, because it's 24 hours... the people that are in there are (usually) devoid of any personality. A soulless black hole...
Granted, maybe different areas have different crowds... and I've only been to 3 locations.

Ah, gotcha - the 24 hour aspect is what actually appeals, I occasionally work some pretty messed up hours, and getting out for a stretch in the gym is a good way to refresh the brain in the wee hours.

Soulless black hole is just fine for that.

I use anytime fitness. it fits my needs as a gym that I can use anytime. I've used other branches in other parts of Tokyo too. not at all a crappy gym. common is the small space. the quality of the equipment also varies for each branch.

I consistently go to the gym quite early so i sorta know who arrives at 645am (that geeky girl that also uses the squat rack). sometimes the squat rack is in a mess. last person didn't re-rack weights or weights on the floor. sometimes you see a new face but just vanishes next week. then there are some weird guys so full of themselves (flexing at the mirrors). of course there's the oldies crowd.

not much social interaction for me since I'm there to train. you get the cute girls every once in a while and you do notice them! like the girl who does these split/stretch on the decline sit-up bench which is in front of the mirrors. the same mirror I'm facing while i'm squatting! difficult to concentrate ... she wears leggings though. or that one time this girl was humping the exercise ball while I'm stretching!

then there are some weird guys so full of themselves (flexing at the mirrors).

There's a guy like that at my regular gym... he comes in, then all he does is flex in the mirror for half an hour, then leaves. Maybe they're doing isometrics?

I've been around and worked in the gym scene overseas and have had a peek at the gyms here. I went to Golds for a trial and I was so uncomfortable with the old boys staring at me the whole time.

I've met a staff member from Tipness, and how they run the gym and the vibe there seems quite professional. Lots of classes and of course weights.

Then there's the small personal training gyms that are incredibly expensive.

The 24 hour gyms, are packed with running machines, and not many have squat racks and freeweights.

Would happily have signed up with Gold's, a few tight MILFs, but the creepy old guys just had me running.

I went to Anytime Fitness. It's convenient and the equipment is new, but not much of a social scene. I'm not much of a social person so it fit my needs.

I saw on the news yesterday that "high tension" gyms are gaining popularity. These places have a club atmosphere and you workout in groups on cycles, trampolines, etc. Loud music, lots of lights, and many young people.

One place introduced was Feelcycle. It has a few branches around Tokyo. Here is the link.

https://www.feelcycle.com/feelcycle_reserve_sp/feelcycle_hp/index.html