Guest viewing is limited

Some Questions About Pairs And Omiai

lambdaguy

TAG Member
Reaction score
Just some context:
I am definitely planning to interact outside of dating apps, but I will be staying in Kobe most of the time, and am worried that it'll be more difficult than if I were staying in Tokyo. I want to cast a wider net so I will be trying Tinder, Skout, and maybe Gyaruru. However, as others have stated, free apps may not have as great of a return. In light of this, I am considering the paid apps Pairs and Omiai. I'm open to having a relationship, but I think that casual dates/hook-ups are a more reasonable goal since I'm only in Japan for two months. I've heard that some people have luck with both on these apps, even though the apps cater to those seeking serious relationships.

My questions:
I know that Pairs is in Japanese only, but do people communicate solely in Japanese? Can you get by with speaking English? My Japanese is pretty limited so I worry about holding the conversation in Japanese.

It sounds like both apps have a monthly fee, however, are there additional charges to fully use the app? I was reading about sending "ii-ne"s on this forum, and it sounds like you have to purchase them.

If they were free apps, I would totally try them out trial and error style, but I didn't want to drop some cash and find out that I can't even use them properly. As always, any information is greatly appreciated!

Just some context:
I am definitely planning to interact outside of dating apps, but I will be staying in Kobe most of the time, and am worried that it'll be more difficult than if I were staying in Tokyo. I want to cast a wider net so I will be trying Tinder, Skout, and maybe Gyaruru. However, as others have stated, free apps may not have as great of a return. In light of this, I am considering the paid apps Pairs and Omiai. I'm open to having a relationship, but I think that casual dates/hook-ups are a more reasonable goal since I'm only in Japan for two months. I've heard that some people have luck with both on these apps, even though the apps cater to those seeking serious relationships.

My questions:
I know that Pairs is in Japanese only, but do people communicate solely in Japanese? Can you get by with speaking English? My Japanese is pretty limited so I worry about holding the conversation in Japanese.

It sounds like both apps have a monthly fee, however, are there additional charges to fully use the app? I was reading about sending "ii-ne"s on this forum, and it sounds like you have to purchase them.

If they were free apps, I would totally try them out trial and error style, but I didn't want to drop some cash and find out that I can't even use them properly. As always, any information is greatly appreciated!
Pretty standard dating app. You get a limited number of いいね's per day (like 10 ish). You can send the first message for free, but you can't see her response or write a 2nd message without being a paid member. They also have a lot of security checks in place to make sure you can't give out line contact info and such (I've tried a lot of different ways with no luck).

Like you said, most of the girls are looking for serious relationships, but as long as you're straight up, you might get some girls. Not like they'll go after you or anything, just kind of a dicky to lie about how long you'll be in Japan and what you're looking for ;). There are no options to switch the language to English, BUT language is a search option you can check, so you only get girls who speak English or whatever.

Ah yeah, I'll be upfront with what I want. I honestly wouldn't mind a relationship, but I know long-distance is difficult. Interesting that they've got security checks so you can't carry the conversation to Line; smart on their part.

Do both apps use "ii-ne"s? And would you recommend Omiai over Pairs since it's more likely to have English speakers? (I assume this, since Pairs is purely Japanese).

I'll probably try the other apps first, as well as try my luck at other venues, before I resort to these paid apps. Just wanted to gather intel to get a running start once I land in Japan haha.

I've used Pairs with a surprising amount of success; in fact, I met one of my exes on that site as well as two girls who have become FWBs (and I'm an average-looking guy). You need to pay the monthly fee in order to get the most out of the site, unfortunately, and the majority of the girls you encounter will speak only minimal English, but there are some who write their profiles in English with the explicit aim of finding foreign guys, so they're out there. Using Japanese will vastly increase your mileage with these types of sites, though.

I believe the basic plan gives you 30 Likes per month or something like that, which for me ended up being more than enough, since corresponding with so many girls at once ends up becoming a kind of part-time job in itself.

Anyway, it might be worth a shot. You might also want to try OKCupid if you haven't already; the selection is somewhat limited, but it's free at least, and I've found that most of the Japanese girls on there are looking for a foreign guy (which makes sense, as it's a foreign site).

Hello. I have a question about Pairs as well.

I'm trying the site out now and like the look of it. I would even consider paying for the site. However, I'm not a huge fan of it going through FB, even though I know it cuts down on fake profiles and whatnot. I'm also a bit concerned about the fact that I have to prove my age with a form of ID. I understand this is another way to make sure people are real and of the appropriate age, but obviously sending a copy of my personal information is not exactly something I'd like to do on a whim. Has anyone sent in proof of age before becoming a member? What are your thoughts on this part of the membership process?

Hello. I have a question about Pairs as well.

I'm trying the site out now and like the look of it. I would even consider paying for the site. However, I'm not a huge fan of it going through FB, even though I know it cuts down on fake profiles and whatnot. I'm also a bit concerned about the fact that I have to prove my age with a form of ID. I understand this is another way to make sure people are real and of the appropriate age, but obviously sending a copy of my personal information is not exactly something I'd like to do on a whim. Has anyone sent in proof of age before becoming a member? What are your thoughts on this part of the membership process?

I've submitted proof of age for a number of sites over the years, and to my knowledge, nothing bad has ever happened to me as a result. Most sites simply want to see your birthday and other pertinent information, so you can use a photo editor to hide any sensitive information (ID number, address, etc.). I have yet to have a partially blacked-out ID be rejected by a site requiring age verification.

As for the FB thing, they'll never post anything to let others know you're using the app, and I think they only have access to your basic info (name, age, etc.), though you'll have to confirm this with each individual site/app to see what permissions they have. Tinder also requires an FB account I believe, and that's one of the most widely used apps on the market, so if there were serious privacy concerns, I'm sure there would be bad press and word would spread pretty quickly. Personally, as someone who has used countless sites (including Happy Mail and similar services) that are absolutely infested with sakura, I can't stress how nice it is to not have to risk wasting precious time and money corresponding with some dude posing as a woman to try and earn a buck.

Thank you XJapan! That is reassuring.

I'm not a paying member of Pairs yet, but I have liked a few profiles and got liked in return. I sent messages and apparently they sent something in return, although I can't see it unless I become a paying member. Since there are hardly any sakura on Pairs, do you feel that the site is actually worth the money? Also, payment goes through your iTunes account? I don't have a credit card in Japan...

Reactions: TAG Manager
Thank you XJapan! That is reassuring.

I'm not a paying member of Pairs yet, but I have liked a few profiles and got liked in return. I sent messages and apparently they sent something in return, although I can't see it unless I become a paying member. Since there are hardly any sakura on Pairs, do you feel that the site is actually worth the money? Also, payment goes through your iTunes account? I don't have a credit card in Japan...

My pleasure! If you're looking for a serious girlfriend, I think I can safely recommend Pairs. Some people say the quality of the girls isn't that great, but I think that's a pretty broad generalization given the sheer diversity of the girls on the site. But if you're just looking for hookups, you might be better served elsewhere. I unfortunately can't recall how payment works if you don't have a credit card...

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Sorry for raising a dead thread but I have a question about this APP, I recently bought the three month premium service, but unfortunately even though I can send messages and "ii ne's" when I get a response, the message is blocked and the App wants me to pay MORE money to unlock it. Is this normal? If it is, How do I get a refund? Not interested in a scam company. . .of course if I can't get one I'll just have to charge back. I'd rather not have to do that.

Sorry for raising a dead thread but I have a question about this APP, I recently bought the three month premium service, but unfortunately even though I can send messages and "ii ne's" when I get a response, the message is blocked and the App wants me to pay MORE money to unlock it. Is this normal? If it is, How do I get a refund? Not interested in a scam company. . .of course if I can't get one I'll just have to charge back. I'd rather not have to do that.

Which exact app? Pairs?

Some comments on Pair in which I had quite a bit experience. The female demographics of 27+ and especially 30+ are the most active. Female in the < 25 bracket are much less responsive, and much harder to 'game', to a point I thought I'm on a different app. Its best for people are serious about starting a serious relationship. It's quite easy to get a response from the 27+ but, I don't recommend playing around and fuck over those 27+ who are serious about starting a family.

Reactions: TAG Manager
Hi guys,
I need some help with Omiai. As an age verification, I'm sending them a photo of a valid czech passport with the birth date and name that is also correct on Facebook.
However, they keep rejecting it. I don't know what to do. Do they require a japanese passport and thereby discriminate against foreigners?

I don't understand why would they reject it.

I've already put a lot of time and effort into seeking matches there so it is an absolute must to clear this step.

Please help!
Thank you very much.

Do they require a japanese passport and thereby discriminate against foreigners?

You don't need Japanese passport but you do need some type of Japanese ID!! (Japanese Driver License, Japan health insurance card or the zairyu card)

Actually, I've found out that Omiai requires a japanese ID, whereas their main competitor Pairs does not. So they've just lost business. Now, I just regret spending time on Omiai.

You don't need Japanese passport but you do need some type of Japanese ID!! (Japanese Driver License, Japan health insurance card or the zairyu card)
Does Pairs age confirmation have to be Japanese ID?(Japanese Driver License, Japan health insurance card or the zairyu card)

I have sent a valid passport photo without covering any of the information, and with the correct name and date of birth, but somehow i still got rejected.
I do not have any of the Japanese ID listed above.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Does Pairs age confirmation have to be Japanese ID?
Yes, because they don't want anyone who is not resident in Japan to sign up.

Reactions: Acid Burn and MikeH
So is there anyway to validate a Pairs account "easily" without Japan ID ?