Star Trek Discovery

AMcguyver

Here for the entertainment value...
Reaction score
Has anyone watched the premiere of the new Star Trek series yet? Thoughts? Is it worth subscribing to CBS All Access for? ( I heard even if you have a paid subscription, they still show you ads)

Reactions: dboyduck
I thought the premiere was pretty cool. It got dark really fast. A lot of surprises in the second episode, but not sure if that will be the tone for the rest of the series. It's really hard to say if the tone will be similar to other Star Trek series, but if they do go hardcore dark could be a good change. Not sure if its worth it. I saw the premiere on Netflix, (google search - http://heavy.com/entertainment/2017/09/can-you-watch-star-trek-discovery-on-netflix-time-where/ ) looks like we here in Japan will be able to see the serious via Netflix, this is great, dont need to pay anything extra. Not paying for netflix either way thanks to my sister!!

Kinda sucks that you can view it on Netflix only if you're outside the US. Tried using VPN to bypass it, but so far no luck. :(

Reactions: PattiePew
I didn't have to use a VPN, I just log-in like normal and it worked. I'm using Netflix via my Mac.
Try using https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/ their VPNs have worked great for me. Just be sure you have a solid connection.

Thanks for the tip. Finally got to watch the first two episodes. Kinda disappointed that one of my fav actors is only a special guest star. I thought she was one of the regular cast.

Last edited:
Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Just watched the first episode. So far... I am not unhappy. Some interesting room for development.

C'mon man, spoilers...

Last edited by a moderator:
It does have potential. I like how they’re not “hitting the reset button” at the end of each episode like the old series and taking chances with the story. Supposedly it takes place in the original timeline after Enterprise (and not in the JJverse),but so far haven’t seen much connectivity other than Sarek.

I kinda wish Enterprise had the chance to continue beyond 4 seasons as I had thing for Hoshi.;)

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
I was pleasantly surprised myself. Glad i took the time to watch it, and look forward to seeing how the rest of the season goes.

Saw the third episode where we finally get to see the title ship and learn a little more of where they’re taking the series. Intriguing. Definitely darker than previous incarnations. The main theme is growing on me, thankful they didn’t go the same route as the opening for Enterprise.

Wonder if that tribble was neutered. ;)

Reactions: Pk24 and impish
I was able to watch the first 3 episodes on Netflix Japan. The initial two episodes grabs your attention but then the plot continues to thicken as... I guess you have to find out.:D Its not great... yet but it's white noise during overtime at work.

Reactions: impish
I thought it was pretty cool, watched episode 4 yesterday on Netflix. I think I like it because it is different than other Star Trek series, I think I can easily say it is a non-Star Trek serie.

Reactions: TAG Manager
I’m liking it, but the show feels more like Battlestar Galactica then Star Trek. Not a big fan of Klingon reboot, the make up design gives the actors litte in the way of facial expressions.

It’s definitely a different take on the franchise - they’re not following the old “adventure of the week” formula but instead going for a whole story arc over the season.

I'm wondering though - supposedly the series takes place 10 years before Kirk & Spock. If this brings the franchise back and we get a bunch of seasons out of it, how are they going to deal with tying it into the Classic Trek era as they get closer to it?

I'm enjoying it immensely.

I'm enjoying it immensely.
Strangely, I am as well. Up to Ep. #3 right now...
I also started Mindhunters today.... only did Ep.#1 due to time constraint but I like the 70's feel of the show with it's timeline and period coverage.

It’s definitely a different take on the franchise - they’re not following the old “adventure of the week” formula but instead going for a whole story arc over the season.

I'm wondering though - supposedly the series takes place 10 years before Kirk & Spock. If this brings the franchise back and we get a bunch of seasons out of it, how are they going to deal with tying it into the Classic Trek era as they get closer to it?

They even promised to fix some continuous issues that occurred during the original Start Trek series. No idea what they are up to.

They even promised to fix some continuous issues that occurred during the original Start Trek series. No idea what they are up to.

Don’t know about that. So far it seems like they’re adding to the continuity issues,..;):vulcan:

Back in DS9, where they went back in time to the tribble episode, they pointed out how Classic Trek Klingons looked different compared to Worf. In Enterrpise, Klingons still looked like Worf, but they had an episode where they showed the cause of why Klingons ended up looking like they did in thneKirk/Spock era.

Now in Discovery, the Klingons look totally different. Again.

Gonna keep watching though. It defintely is getting interesting.:)

I’m liking it, but the show feels more like Battlestar Galactica then Star Trek. Not a big fan of Klingon reboot, the make up design gives the actors litte in the way of facial expressions.

I agree, Worf was one of my favorite characters in TNG and DS9 and the balance of makeup & prosthetics was really good on Michael Dorn to allow him to bring his character out. Not only does the new design look like a full-on Halloween mask, it sounds like the actors voices are a bit muffled. Kind of like how Bane was in The Dark Knight Rises.;)

Reactions: Mykesama
I'm liking the new series quite a bit, especially the 3rd and 4th ep. Very promising. As others have said, I really hate the new Klingons. Interesting idea for a Klingon 'reboot' and all but the makeup is too constrictive and having. them. pronounce. every. word. like. they. are. Shakespearean. actors. is annoying (Shakespeare IS better in its original Klingon, though).

Reactions: Sudsy and AMcguyver
I'm liking the new series quite a bit, especially the 3rd and 4th ep. Very promising. As others have said, I really hate the new Klingons. Interesting idea for a Klingon 'reboot' and all but the makeup is too constrictive and having. them. pronounce. every. word. like. they. are. Shakespearean. actors. is annoying (Shakespeare IS better in its original Klingon, though).

taH pagh taHbe :D

Reactions: Sudsy