Strange behavior from Japanese man in Shikaribetsu onsen?

Debitio manages to give off such an angry drunk vibe you can almost smell the booze off his blog posts. If I owned an onsen he would be top of my turfing out list

Well, I would be angry too if some onsen staff told me my half white child can't enter the onsen because he/she looks...half white lol.

So even if Debito was sober, you would deny him entry because you disagree with him on certain issues?

Well, I would be angry too if some onsen staff told me my half white child can't enter the onsen because he/she looks...half white lol.
Yeah you’d be angry for a while, but how about after around 20 years, 100’s of blog posts and a couple of books?

Actually I am not defending this type of behavior that some of you guys had experienced in Onsen. But that's not only in Japan, even on "the land of the free" as USA proclaimed, I have experienced myself acts of xenophobia.
Once a woman who was sitting in front of me at a baseball stadium (Tropicana Field) home of the Tampa Bay Rays, turned her head and asked me to be quiet. I thought that I was talking too loud so I apologized. My friends were all Latin (Puerto Rico, México and Dominican) so we continued speaking in Spanish. The woman again turned her head to us and told us: "this is America, speak English or go back to Mexico" I mean WTF? I couldn't believe what I just heard. We called security and they didn't do shit about it. So we continued talking in Spanish until the woman couldn't take it anymore and left before the game was over.

In Germany, a group of teenagers were shouting at me: "go back to China, we do not want you to be here. Scheiss Ausländer" (it means literally fucking foreigner or shit foreigner).

Many countries in Latin America also deny you an entry to clubs or restaurants replaying that "it's a private party or members only". They looked at you and profile you if you look rich and funny thing is that many clubs refuse to accept people with "dark skin". Ironic, because many countries have mixed population or African descendants.

Reactions: Simonka
Actually I am not defending this type of behavior that some of you guys had experienced in Onsen. But that's not only in Japan, even on "the land of the free" as USA proclaimed, I have experienced myself acts of xenophobia.
Once a woman who was sitting in front of me at a baseball stadium (Tropicana Field) home of the Tampa Bay Rays, turned her head and asked me to be quiet. I thought that I was talking too loud so I apologized. My friends were all Latin (Puerto Rico, México and Dominican) so we continued speaking in Spanish. The woman again turned her head to us and told us: "this is America, speak English or go back to Mexico" I mean WTF? I couldn't believe what I just heard. We called security and they didn't do shit about it. So we continued talking in Spanish until the woman couldn't take it anymore and left before the game was over.

In Germany, a group of teenagers were shouting at me: "go back to China, we do not want you to be here. Scheiss Ausländer" (it means literally fucking foreigner or shit foreigner).

Many countries in Latin America also deny you an entry to clubs or restaurants replaying that "it's a private party or members only". They looked at you and profile you if you look rich and funny thing is that many clubs refuse to accept people with "dark skin". Ironic, because many countries have mixed population or African descendants.

Yep, there are racists everywhere.

Reactions: SatoKM
Actually, I have met and chatted with quite a number of Chinese tourists in groups where one or two can speak Japanese well. I wouldn't be surprised if he was pretending to be Japanese so if I think he is racist, I would hate Japanese people more rather than Chinese people lol.
Yes quite a few Chinese speak Japanese well, but again, for some reason, Chinese racists usually don't choose Japanese as their second language from the begining...it just makes them feel uncomfortable:shifty:

Yes quite a few Chinese speak Japanese well, but again, for some reason, Chinese racists usually don't choose Japanese as their second language from the begining...it just makes them feel uncomfortable:shifty:

Yes, Chinese people lose face quite easily and I agree with this statement. There are also the low IQ Chinese and people in general that most likely don't feel shame or embarrassment due to their low IQ haha.

I wish I paid more attention to the guy's appearance because there was a Japanese man and a Chinese man in the onsen during that time...could have been either one of them haha.

Reactions: homer69
Yeah you’d be angry for a while, but how about after around 20 years, 100’s of blog posts and a couple of books?

Yes, I agree that he shouldn't be angry or hold a grudge for so many years. I would have gotten over it by now. Maybe in his mind, he feels that there are negative aspects of Japanese culture that should be addressed. There aren't many foreigners living in Japan that aspire to be controversial activists, so maybe he is just doing it for the money or attention.

He did write an article about how there are supposedly "hair police" in Japanese schools that try to force all children to have straight, black hair which includes foreign children that have naturally curly or wavy hair. I myself have wavy hair, so if I had a child, the child would most likely have wavy hair as well. I'm almost positive Debito is exaggerating the story here, but even if there is a little truth to this and children are required to try to have straighter hair...that is just retarded bullshit.

Reactions: MikeH
Yes, I agree that he shouldn't be angry or hold a grudge for so many years. I would have gotten over it by now. Maybe in his mind, he feels that there are negative aspects of Japanese culture that should be addressed. There aren't many foreigners living in Japan that aspire to be controversial activists, so maybe he is just doing it for the money or attention.

He did write an article about how there are supposedly "hair police" in Japanese schools that try to force all children to have straight, black hair which includes foreign children that have naturally curly or wavy hair. I myself have wavy hair, so if I had a child, the child would most likely have wavy hair as well. I'm almost positive Debito is exaggerating the story here, but even if there is a little truth to this and children are required to try to have straighter hair...that is just retarded bullshit.

He actively seeks out things to be offended by.

Reactions: Tabanico and MikeH

Many schools police students' hair styles, and many education boards are crazy enough to endorse it. However, if your hair is naturally curly, wavy, fair-colored etc, they won't force you to change it. You just need to submit a letter from your hair stylist which certifies that your hair is naturally so (地毛証明書). That's the SOP of "hair policing" in the vast majority of schools in Japan. The story in his blog is a very rare extreme case. While the discourse there in his blog takes it as a token of injustice against social diversity by the whole Japanese education system, quite a few Japanese public schools are fairly liberal with a remnant of once-powerful, liberal, left-wing, Japan Teachers Union. Those schools don't police students' hairstyles at all. Japan has its diversity.

Last edited: