Strange person harassing my wife?

TokyoJoeblow

TAG Member
Reaction score
Ok, so months back someone smeared a ton of mayo all over our bicycle seats, which I assumed was mostly playful and childish and shrugged it off.

Just earlier this week, my wife told me that someone stole the light off her bicycle? I realize that these are 100yen but still quite annoying.

Just a short time ago, she received a call on her house phone and it is almost 2am here wtf?

I highly doubt it is the same person that stole her light because I don't think she knows any crazy people that would want to do all these bad/strange things to her.

Anyway, my wife or her mom never answer the phone late at night and I realize now it wouldn't be the police calling so late...so I'm starting to think it might be someone that knows her doing these things or there is a crank caller that is separate from the person who stole her bicycle light.

Has anyone here experienced weird situations like this? Super late anonymous calls on their house phones? People stealing things from them?

She talked with the police and they checked out around her apartment and they will get back to her in the near future.

P.S. I highly doubt it is the crazy Japanese woman from my past. I am almost 100% sure it is not her. Just wanted to get that out of the way lol.

Last edited:
Mayo, probably a prank from kids. Bike light, probably a petty theft, 2am call, a bit weird...

Just seems like coicedence since it's somewhat spread out, but it's worth staying vigilant, maybe install one of those security webcams you can access from your phone if possible.

Mayo, probably a prank from kids. Bike light, probably a petty theft, 2am call, a bit weird...

Just seems like coicedence since it's somewhat spread out, but it's worth staying vigilant, maybe install one of those security webcams you can access from your phone if possible.

Well, it is most likely prohibited to install a camera like this on the apartment building she lives in. Unfortunately, we don't own, we just rent.

Have you used one of these before? How much do they cost on average and where can you buy them?

Are there chains that sell them such as Don Quixote or Tokyu Hands? Because I want to avoid going all the way to Akihabara just to get a hold of one...

Are there chains that sell them such as Don Quixote or Tokyu Hands? Because I want to avoid going all the way to Akihabara just to get a hold of one...
Most electronics stores should carry something easy to setup.

For example:
http://www.iodata.jp/product/lancam/lancam/
http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/hotstore/mot00141.html?sc_e=slga_pla

There are actually a lot of options... Just need to have power, network cable OR be near a WiFi box. I've seen these sold at the usual chains such as K's Denki, Nojima, Bic Camera, Yodobashi and LABI... They all are easily setup and you can use the maker's app to control/view the camera on your iOS or Android Smartphone/Tablet.

When I lived in different area, bicycle lights were stolen all the time. Or, if it used batteries, the batteries were taken and the light was left alone. Other cases, the whole assembly was taken. The only lights that are safe, are those that are mounted on the bike and use that old style generator tied into the front wheel.

Other stuff has happened, but the phone calls... if repeatedly done... that's more of a personal matter. Any idiot could be bothering the bikes.

Are you sure it was mayonnaise on the bicycle seats?

It is very important that you find out because in the sinister and shadowy world of stalkers this means you have been marked for group stalking.

Stalkers use Mayo to mark targets because it is still visible after you clean it off with UV glasses.

If it was Roquefort or blue cheese salad dressing on the bike seats, then you have an even more serious problem.

Just kidding dude, I wouldn't have connected those three events in a million years.

Last edited:
Well, the police found my wife's bicycle light with the base of it shattered and sitting outside a supermarket she often shops at. So it wasn't stolen.

The police told her Japanese people will often crash into other bicycles with their own while trying to park too quickly and recklessly. In this case, someone accidentally rammed their bicycle slightly into my wife's while she was inside shopping and just put the light he broke just outside the supermarket exit lol.

Anyway, good to know it wasn't stolen. As for the late night calls, my wife told me she never used to get late night calls until after she signed up with some US fax service online called myfax or something like that. She mentioned that every few months she will receive a late night call and it started just after she signed up for this service...3 years ago...that was before I even started living here, so these calls should be unrelated to me.

She has since unregistered but still receives these calls, so it might be a crank caller. I told her to answer next time, but she is always too scared to. Well, anyway these are the updates lol.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
I have had really strange experience. When you live longer, you naturally meet more strange people.

1.When I was younger, someone messed up my jacket with green paint in front of Alta. Some guy kindly stopped me and let me know, He even went to a convenience store to get a bottle of water and help me to clean my jacket. Yet there is a small chance that the "someone" could be him. He stayed with me for about 30 minutes cleaning my jacket and chatting, was just weirdly too nice...

2.I had a peeper at my apartment when I was a college student. It was hot summer night so I left my window open just 2 inches. I found this old guy's face sticking on my window when I came out from the bathroom, naked. That was scary. The other night, I intentionally turned off the room light, left my window open just a bit and of course he came back a few nights later. As soon as his face got closer to the window, I shut the window really hard. Maybe I should have shined a flashlight on his face instead. I didn't report to the police but at least talked to the apartment owner.

3.I had a random stalker on my way from the nearest station to my apartment. It was about 1am. He was definitely following me so I got my house key ready in my hand and ran to my apartment, opened the door real quick and jumped in.
After I confirm that nobody came to kick the door, I went to the bathroom and started taking shower. I usually stop water temporarily while I wash my hair. I had hot water before washing my hair but when I turned the tap on again, only cold water came out. I thought my shower just got broken so quickly rinsed off with cold shower and went to sleep.
Next morning, I called up Tokyo Gas and they showed up an hour later. They found out the causality in 5 seconds. "The main valve is turned off" They fixed it in 1 seconds and left. It was embarrassing.
However, isn't it scary? He actually followed me to the apartment, standing just outside of the door until I hopped in shower, shut off the gas while I was in the bathroom, maybe waiting for me to come out to check the valve? Luckily nothing happened after.

What kind of self-defense weapons are allowed in Japan? I think they allow pepper-spray, but isn't it looked-down upon to even carry one? In any case, I'm glad you were not harmed!

Last summer, I saw this 60 year old man in a salary-man on the JR yamanote line late at night, he had his arm down his front pants scratching his junk (and it was a packed train). I was standing about 5 feet away, and my friend and I could smell him. I felt really bad for the lady that had to stand next to him in such a packed train! He had his eyes closed and looked like he was enjoying himself. There was another time on the JR I saw this 40 year old man in a business suit sit really close to this young gyaru on purpose, even though there were a lot of empty seats. She moved away three times from him, and each time he would get up and sit next to her again. Eventually more people got on the train and she was able to get away from him at another seat with people next to her, but I just eyeballed him in case he tried to do something else.

Reactions: thor
She moved away three times from him, and each time he would get up and sit next to her again. Eventually more people got on the train and she was able to get away from him at another seat with people next to her, but I just eyeballed him in case he tried to do something else.

You did not smite him?

You did not smite him?
He wasn't technically doing anything wrong, and if I did anything it'd probably embarrass the girl as well, so I just kept watch. If anything physical happened, I'd probably step in by asking her for directions and put me between her and the man.

Reactions: thor
Stalker?

TokyoJoeBlow?

No diss at all, I'm super appreciative of his creative mental process. :D

I have had really strange experience. When you live longer, you naturally meet more strange people.

1.When I was younger, someone messed up my jacket with green paint in front of Alta. Some guy kindly stopped me and let me know, He even went to a convenience store to get a bottle of water and help me to clean my jacket. Yet there is a small chance that the "someone" could be him. He stayed with me for about 30 minutes cleaning my jacket and chatting, was just weirdly too nice...

2.I had a peeper at my apartment when I was a college student. It was hot summer night so I left my window open just 2 inches. I found this old guy's face sticking on my window when I came out from the bathroom, naked. That was scary. The other night, I intentionally turned off the room light, left my window open just a bit and of course he came back a few nights later. As soon as his face got closer to the window, I shut the window really hard. Maybe I should have shined a flashlight on his face instead. I didn't report to the police but at least talked to the apartment owner.

3.I had a random stalker on my way from the nearest station to my apartment. It was about 1am. He was definitely following me so I got my house key ready in my hand and ran to my apartment, opened the door real quick and jumped in.
After I confirm that nobody came to kick the door, I went to the bathroom and started taking shower. I usually stop water temporarily while I wash my hair. I had hot water before washing my hair but when I turned the tap on again, only cold water came out. I thought my shower just got broken so quickly rinsed off with cold shower and went to sleep.
Next morning, I called up Tokyo Gas and they showed up an hour later. They found out the causality in 5 seconds. "The main valve is turned off" They fixed it in 1 seconds and left. It was embarrassing.
However, isn't it scary? He actually followed me to the apartment, standing just outside of the door until I hopped in shower, shut off the gas while I was in the bathroom, maybe waiting for me to come out to check the valve? Luckily nothing happened after.

For situations like 2 & 3, I recommend keeping a camera with you and taking a photo with flash ensuring they know their photo has been taken. I'm sure they won't come back again after that.

Reactions: MikeH
Reactions: MikeH