Suggestions for "backpacking" through Japan (and proclaiming "New Year's Resolution")

faboo2001

TAG Member
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I'm actually considering visiting Tokyo during the 2020 Olympics and hopefully watch an event or 2 while I'm there! But before that, I'd like to visit Japan at least one more time at a less hectic time and when I have more freedom and flexibility to travel around as I please. Maybe this year, but I'll kind of explain that later.

However instead of visiting my usual spots (Tokyo, Kyoto, and a quick visit to Osaka), I was thinking it's finally time to venture out of my comfort zone and explore other parts of Japan! Due to time and money, I'd probably just stick with the main island and use a JR Pass to start up north somewhere and head all the way southwest end.

And this is where you fine folks come in! Of course I'll be doing my own research, but I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions on where I should visit. Some things to consider though:
  • Never been to Japan during the spring, and would definitely love to do so during the cherry blossom season. I'm assuming early to mid April would probably be ok for this? (I know location and weather is a major factor to consider as well)
  • Though English friendly places would be ideal, my Japanese is good enough (so I've been told!) to go to less foreign friendly locations
  • I'm totally ok with the idea of staying at locations/areas for a couple of days, or the idea of dropping in for a few hours. So I'm pretty open to hear any suggestion regardless of visitation time length
  • Food is important too! Suggestions for regional foods would be great as well
  • I'll still need to visit Kyoto (family) and Tokyo. Which probably also means having a little "fun" while I'm in city! ;)
I'd also like to take this time to share and challenge myself to get in shape and be more active! Not necessarily to get a lot thinner (but would be a huge plus!), but just wanting to get in better shape, especially if I'm considering to do a lot of traveling during this trip. I'm considering issuing a challenge that if I don't get myself in a proper routine by the end of January/beginning of February that I postpone for next year. Hopefully that would be incentive enough for me to take it seriously, and enough time for me to get in decent shape by April!

calvin-hobbes-new-years-resolutions.jpg

Hopefully this won't be me at the end of this month...

Thanks in advance!!!

Call me crazy, but I'm actually considering visiting Tokyo during the 2020 Olympics and hopefully watch an event or 2 while I'm there! But before that, I'd like to visit Japan at least one more time at a less hectic time and when I have more freedom and flexibility to travel around as I please. Maybe this year, but I'll kind of explain that later.

However instead of visiting my usual spots (Tokyo, Kyoto, and a quick visit to Osaka), I was thinking it's finally time to venture out of my comfort zone and explore other parts of Japan! Due to time and money, I'd probably just stick with the main island and use a JR Pass to start up north somewhere and head all the way southwest end.

And this is where you fine folks come in! Of course I'll be doing my own research, but I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions on where I should visit. Some things to consider though:
  • Never been to Japan during the spring, and would definitely love to do so during the cherry blossom season. I'm assuming early to mid April would probably be ok for this? (I know location and weather is a major factor to consider as well)
  • Though English friendly places would be ideal, my Japanese is good enough (so I've been told!) to go to less foreign friendly locations
  • I'm totally ok with the idea of staying at locations/areas for a couple of days, or the idea of dropping in for a few hours. So I'm pretty open to hear any suggestion regardless of visitation time length
  • Food is important too! Suggestions for regional foods would be great as well
  • I'll still need to visit Kyoto (family) and Tokyo. Which probably also means having a little "fun" while I'm in city! ;)
I'd also like to take this time to share and challenge myself to get in shape and be more active! Not necessarily to get a lot thinner (but would be a huge plus!), but just wanting to get in better shape, especially if I'm considering to do a lot of traveling during this trip. I'm considering issuing a challenge that if I don't get myself in a proper routine by the end of January/beginning of February that I postpone for next year. Hopefully that would be incentive enough for me to take it seriously, and enough time for me to get in decent shape by April!

calvin-hobbes-new-years-resolutions.jpg

Hopefully this won't be me at the end of this month...

Thanks in advance!!!

Good for you! I'm also going to be doing hiking in Japan, once I've recovered from the femur fracture. Right now, learning to walk again.

Anyway, I do not have personal experience, but have heard great things about Kumano Kodo, in Mie Prefecture, the site of my road bike accident.

Kumano Kodo is the pilgrimage road that lead to Kumano Sanzan (the three grand shrines of Kumano: Hongu-taisha, Hayatama-taisha, Nachi-taisha). Kumano is located south of Yoshino, honored as a sacred place where the gods have lived since ancient times. People entrust their future happiness to the gods by traversing rugged paths through wild nature to visit Kumano.

http://kumadoco.net/kodo_eng/about/index.html

The site has great descriptions and maps AND, it's close to Kyoto.

another link:
http://www.mieguidebook.org/wiki/Hiking

I've never visited Hokkaido, but it's on my list, as well.

https://theculturetrip.com/asia/japan/articles/the-10-best-hiking-trails-in-hokkaido/

Reactions: faboo2001
Don't think I'll go full on "backpacking" as I'm sure I'll have to end up using a suitcase to bring and take home a bunch of omiyage stuff. Again, family and such! So who knows how much hiking is involved. Regardless, great suggest and being close to a key spot does make it definitely more feasible!

I'd also love to visit Hokkaido, and Okinawa at the other end of Japan, but really doubt I'll be able to fit it in both schedule and budget wise. One day, I'm sure it'll happen!

Don't think I'll go full on "backpacking" as I'm sure I'll have to end up using a suitcase to bring and take home a bunch of omiyage stuff. Again, family and such! So who knows how much hiking is involved. Regardless, great suggest and being close to a key spot does make it definitely more feasible!

I'd also love to visit Hokkaido, and Okinawa at the other end of Japan, but really doubt I'll be able to fit it in both schedule and budget wise. One day, I'm sure it'll happen!

It sounds like the Kumano Kodo might be a good choice for you. I passed by the area just before the accident and it's really beautiful.

I am eager to hear from others that have actually done a bit of hiking.

IMHO do just simple day hikes. There is a hiking path up to Koya-san. Koya-san can also be your starting point for the Kumano hike ... but Kumano might be a demanding hike. I've studied the maps several times already. It's a multi-day hike, at days end you end up in an area where you can get a bed in a minshuku. I'm not sure if it's really a popular hike ... you might not see anyone else along the route!

If you're good at pedalling ... you should go to Onomichi, rent a bike/mamachari and cycle from the mainland to Imabari (in Shikoku) on the Shimanami Kaido. You can stop and stay at a minshuku in the islands and make it a multi-day trip. Onomichi ramen is good but too fatty for my tastes.

Or go to Oshima Island ... technically it is still Tokyo but you take a 2 hour ferry. You can cycle around the island. Hike up the active volcano, Mihara-san. Bekko sushi and fresh seafood is quite abundant. It's quiet dead at night though and going around can be a headache. There is public bus, that stops at night, and taxis.

There are hikes around Hakone too.

IMHO do just simple day hikes. There is a hiking path up to Koya-san. Koya-san can also be your starting point for the Kumano hike ... but Kumano might be a demanding hike. I've studied the maps several times already. It's a multi-day hike, at days end you end up in an area where you can get a bed in a minshuku. I'm not sure if it's really a popular hike ... you might not see anyone else along the route!

If you're good at pedalling ... you should go to Onomichi, rent a bike/mamachari and cycle from the mainland to Imabari (in Shikoku) on the Shimanami Kaido. You can stop and stay at a minshuku in the islands and make it a multi-day trip. Onomichi ramen is good but too fatty for my tastes.

Or go to Oshima Island ... technically it is still Tokyo but you take a 2 hour ferry. You can cycle around the island. Hike up the active volcano, Mihara-san. Bekko sushi and fresh seafood is quite abundant. It's quiet dead at night though and going around can be a headache. There is public bus, that stops at night, and taxis.

There are hikes around Hakone too.

I am about to cry, reading your suggestions. Sadly, my biking days are over. One of my dreams was the Shimanami Kaido and I was just about to go this past October/November.

I've biked Oshima and loved it. Just a couple challenging hill climbs.

Thinking about my situation (gonna be tied down a bit with luggage) simple day hikes/trips might be the way to go. Staying in one location/area is still a feasible option though, where I setup "base" at a hotel and leave most of my stuff there and travel back and forth from there.

I just briefly looked over Kumano Kodo and it definitely looks interesting, but I'm just trying to figure out if there's an ideal location or trail/route I can take if I'm going to be there for only a day.

Thinking about my situation (gonna be tied down a bit with luggage) simple day hikes/trips might be the way to go. Staying in one location/area is still a feasible option though, where I setup "base" at a hotel and leave most of my stuff there and travel back and forth from there.

I just briefly looked over Kumano Kodo and it definitely looks interesting, but I'm just trying to figure out if there's an ideal location or trail/route I can take if I'm going to be there for only a day.

I ran into a European couple near Shingu, edge of Wakayama/Mie and they were heading to Kii-Katsuura Station to hike to the tallest waterfall in Japan, Nachi no Taki.

https://www.nagoyastation.com/limited-express-nanki-for-shingu-kii-katsuura/

Nachi-no-Otaki is 133 meters high and 13 meters wide, it is the tallest waterfall in Japan and can been seen from far out on the Pacific Ocean. Nachi-no-Otaki’s water source is the surrounding broad-leaf evergreen primeval forest. It is a sanctuary of Kumano Nachi Taisha and thus has been protected since ancient times and is used for ascetic training by mountain monks who practice Shugendo, a mixed religion of foreign and indigenous beliefs.

nachi-falls-pagoda.jpg

nachi-falls-worship.jpg

nachi-falls-kumano.jpg

http://www.tb-kumano.jp/en/world-heritage/kumano-nachi-taisha/

I ran into a European couple near Shingu, edge of Wakayama/Mie and they were heading to Kii-Katsuura Station to hike to the tallest waterfall in Japan, Nachi no Taki.

https://www.nagoyastation.com/limited-express-nanki-for-shingu-kii-katsuura/

Nachi-no-Otaki is 133 meters high and 13 meters wide, it is the tallest waterfall in Japan and can been seen from far out on the Pacific Ocean. Nachi-no-Otaki’s water source is the surrounding broad-leaf evergreen primeval forest. It is a sanctuary of Kumano Nachi Taisha and thus has been protected since ancient times and is used for ascetic training by mountain monks who practice Shugendo, a mixed religion of foreign and indigenous beliefs.

nachi-falls-pagoda.jpg

nachi-falls-worship.jpg

nachi-falls-kumano.jpg

http://www.tb-kumano.jp/en/world-heritage/kumano-nachi-taisha/
Oh this looks and sounds perfect, especially after reading this from japan-guide.com:

For travelers who want to experience the trails but are impeded by time constraints, a hike up the Daimon-zaka is a good option.

Funny you mention Nagoya (station) as I was considering using that as a base, depending on where else I can travel from there. Plus I feel I want to give Nagoya a fair shot, as I only visited the city for half a day and didn't really enjoy it.

Well, it's Nagoya, not meant to be enjoyed. Even the people who live there generally agree.
Lol, fair point.

I think the issue is that we've read and heard that Nagoya was an interesting place to visit. But after visiting the Atsuta shrine and few minutes walking through the Osu Shopping Street, we definitely got a different impression. Granted we didn't get to explore too much (I think we were there for half a day), so there's definitely more places we could've gone.

Oh this looks and sounds perfect, especially after reading this from japan-guide.com:

For travelers who want to experience the trails but are impeded by time constraints, a hike up the Daimon-zaka is a good option.

Funny you mention Nagoya (station) as I was considering using that as a base, depending on where else I can travel from there. Plus I feel I want to give Nagoya a fair shot, as I only visited the city for half a day and didn't really enjoy it.

No, No, Nagoya was merely the site that had nice info. I'm not overly fond myself it myself. There are many really nice places to visit nearby, but I would never stay overnight by choice.

Hi, what came up to my mind first was one of "cats islands" (there are 3 of them as far as I know) but it's just in my list for my next visit to Japan...

As to cherry blossoms, the season is usually around the first week of April in Tokyo. In mid-April, you need to catch them up in north of Tokyo somewhere in the Tohoku region.

I would love to recommend the Kumano region, too. However, I feel I have to remind you that the region is one of the most remote places in Japan. Visiting LCC-reachable places, including Hokkaido and Okinawa, could be time/cost efficient. The region has very limited air access - only 3 flights to Shirahama from Tokyo. Besides, the region is still in transition to establish tourism as its main industry. It's been depopulated over the last few decades as the region's traditional trade - forestry, fishery and agriculture - all went to the wall. Nevertheless, it's still worth visiting. You can take an express train either from Osaka or Nagoya. It takes about 4 hours to Shingu-shi, the most populous town in the region.

As already suggested, you can make a nice relatively short visit to the Nachi water falls. You can walk up from Nachi train station, by the beach, to the main water falls area without difficulty. It takes about an hour. The place is a good example of the traditional syncretism of Buddhism and Shitoism. Another suitable spot for a short hike along Kumano-kodo is Matsumoto Toge Pass in Kumano-shi. Some other tourists attractions in the area are:

The Doro-kyo gorge:
https://www.shinguu.jp/en/spots/detail/A0009
http://www.kumano-travel.com/index/en/action_ContentsDetail_Detail/id287

Taiji Whale Museum (Yes, it's controversial. Some say it's disgusting):
http://www.kujirakan.jp

Whale watching (from May to September):
http://www.town.nachikatsuura.wakayama.jp/forms/info/info.aspx?info_id=9429

From Shingu, you may want to take a bus into the mountains all the way up to Nara, taking a stop or two in between.
http://www.narakotsu.co.jp/language/en/local/totsukawa.html

The eastern edge of the region in Wakayama prefecture is where thousands emigrated to North America in the early 20th century. There was a small museum on the emigrants to Canada (Canada Museum) in Mihama-cho, which is now being closed, but rumored to be re-opened in coming April.
https://www.wakayama-u.ac.jp/ier/en/emigration.html

As for food, there are some regional varieties of sushi. Fish are excellent there.

Last edited:
No, No, Nagoya was merely the site that had nice info. I'm not overly fond myself it myself. There are many really nice places to visit nearby, but I would never stay overnight by choice.
Lol no worries. I totally understood your initial intent, hence why I merely said "mentioned"! I don't think I'll care too much about where I stay overnight as I'm not too into the night life, especially when I'm alone and will be walking/traveling for the majority of the day.

Hi, what came up to my mind first was one of "cats islands" (there are 3 of them as far as I know) but it's just in my list for my next visit to Japan...

As to cherry blossoms, the season is usually around the first week of April in Tokyo. In mid-April, you need to catch them up in north of Tokyo somewhere in the Tohoku region.

I would love to recommend the Kumano region, too. However, I feel I have to remind you that the region is one of the most remote places in Japan. Visiting LCC-reachable places, including Hokkaido and Okinawa, could be time/cost efficient. The region has very limited air access - only 3 flights to Shirahama from Tokyo. Besides, the region is still in transition to establish tourism as its main industry. It's been depopulated over the last few decades as the region's traditional trade - forestry, fishery and agriculture - all went to the wall. Nevertheless, it's still worth visiting. You can take an express train either from Osaka or Nagoya. It takes about 4 hours to Shingu-shi, the most populous town in the region.

As already suggested, you can make a nice relatively short visit to the Nachi water falls. You can walk up from Nachi train station, by the beach, to the main water falls area without difficulty. It takes about an hour. The place is a good example of the traditional syncretism of Buddhism and Shitoism. Another suitable spot for a short hike along Kumano-kodo is Matsumoto Toge Pass in Kumano-shi. Some other tourists attractions in the area are:

The Doro-kyo gorge:
https://www.shinguu.jp/en/spots/detail/A0009
http://www.kumano-travel.com/index/en/action_ContentsDetail_Detail/id287

Taiji Whale Museum (Yes, it's controversial. Some say it's disgusting):
http://www.kujirakan.jp

Whale watching (from May to September):
http://www.town.nachikatsuura.wakayama.jp/forms/info/info.aspx?info_id=9429

From Shingu, you may want to take a bus into the mountains all the way up to Nara, taking a stop or two in between.
http://www.narakotsu.co.jp/language/en/local/totsukawa.html

The eastern edge of the region in Wakayama prefecture is where thousands emigrated to North America in the early 20th century. There was a small museum on the emigrants to Canada (Canada Museum) in Mihama-cho, which is now being closed, but rumored to be re-opened in coming April.
https://www.wakayama-u.ac.jp/ier/en/emigration.html

As for food, there are some regional varieties of sushi. Fish are excellent there.
Thank you for your insight and information! I think at this point the Nachi Falls is a must on the (potential) itinerary. Well, if I'm not going this year, I'll definitely be there for 2019! Lack of time is definitely an issue with visiting Hokkaido and Okinawa (funds is also a factor) as I'm sure I can only take 2 weeks off for the trip. And since I'd like to spend some time in Kyoto and Tokyo, it's already a tight schedule as is.

A friend of mine thought about visiting one of the cat islands as well, but from what he gathered most (if not all) are in very remote locations where there's really little to do other than just to look and play with cats for the entire day. Unique animal experiences does interest me, so I was actually looking at the Miyagi Zao Fox Village as it's pretty accessible from the shinkansen line. I was looking at some Alpaca farms, but they seem to be harder to get to.

Need your honest opinions here:
Shockingly after all my visits to Japan, I've yet to go to Mt. Fuji. Should I do it? Not necessarily climb it, but if I don't I'm wondering if it's worth the trip then.
Thinking of going to the Fukuoka/Kumamoto/Nagasaki area, someone even mentioning seeing Mt. Aso while I'm there.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Shockingly after all my visits to Japan, I've yet to go to Mt. Fuji. Should I do it? Not necessarily climb it, but if I don't I'm wondering if it's worth the trip then.
Thinking of going to the Fukuoka/Kumamoto/Nagasaki area, someone even mentioning seeing Mt. Aso while I'm there.

In my opinion, don't make it a special quest. If it's convenient to visit a place with a Fuji-san view, go... but realize that in many instances, the view might be obscured by clouds/weather. Winter viewing is generally more likely due to a clear atmosphere. That's the time of year I've taken my best Fuji-san photos.

One feature of Japan, depending upon your interests, almost any region will have something spectacular.

Here's a few links, including a blog, with suggestions for viewing, if that's your choice.

The Truth about Viewing Mt. Fuji

https://www.suitcaseandwanderlust.com/japan-mt-fuji/

The Complete Guide of Mt.Fuji Viewing: 20 Best Spots !

https://jw-webmagazine.com/the-complete-guide-of-mt-fuji-viewing-20-best-spots-f8d2eb369ba

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6933.html

I like the West Coast of Izu for great views of Fuji-san across Suruga Bay, since I am an onsen fan and many nice onsens are in the area.

Last edited:

Don't regret going to the Kawaguchiko area myself. Easy to access by train, you can get some good views of Mt Fuji from across the lake or up on one of the hills they have a ropeway for. Lots of tourists, but not too many. The majority of the visitors seems to be Japanese.

Mt. Fuji: A day trip from Tokyo is possible to the 5th station (on Fuji Subaru Line). It's two and half hours away by bus from Shinjuku. You may want to spend some time around Lake Kawaguchi on the way back, or spend a night at one of the resorts in the Fuji Five Lakes area.

Fukuoka/Kumamoto/Nagasaki: Mt. Aso and its surroundings (Kusasenri plain, Takachiho gorge, Kuju mountain range, and several onsens) are definitely wroth visiting, but the area is not served well by public transportation. Unless you rent a car, traveling into inland Kyushu is not time-efficient.

If you are looking for something a la Kyoto in Kyushu, you may want to add Kitsuki in Oita in your list. It's a small town and relatively unspoiled.

Thanks for the info people, and definitely going to look more into this on my own but it always helps to hear first-hand experiences from others. Places may sound interesting when reading up on them, but living in Toronto and after several visits to Niagara Falls I know for a fact that things can sound far more interesting on paper.

Yeah if it's just a matter seeing Mt. Fuji, I can totally understand not actually going to the mountain itself. I even went to Fuji-Q a few trips back and the view from there was pretty darn good, especially while you're slowly going up the roller coaster! I guess the issue is a small part of me wants to go just so I can say that "I went there" and cross it off of my list.

Reading up on it, Mt. Aso does sound like it would be pain to get to but I think the uniqueness is far more appealing (largest active volcano in Japan, and among the largest in the world).

And I'm a little ashamed to admit this since it would make me feel less "Japanese", but I've never been to an onsen! I've been to a public bath once in a hotel as a child, but that's as close as I got. Definitely considering it this time, especially if the cherry blossoms are in full bloom during.

Reading up on it, Mt. Aso does sound like it would be pain to get to but I think the uniqueness is far more appealing (largest active volcano in Japan, and among the largest in the world).

I'm not sure if Mt. Aso is the largest active volcano in Japan. If you count the whole Aso Caldera as a mountain, it could be true. What's known as Mt. Aso these days is Nakadake which is a tip on the plateau of Aso Caldera.

It's not difficult to make a round trip to the lower ropeways station of Nakadake (2 or 3 direct bus services a day from Kumamoto), but you may not be allowed to enter the mountain from there. It's subject to the volcanic activity assessment. I've been there twice in the past, but both times we were not allowed to go on from there.
https://www.kyusanko.co.jp/aso/lang_en/

Nakadake is just part of Mt. Aso. There are several other scenic tourist attractions and onsens in the vicinity where you would need a car to visit. It used to be much easier to travel around Kyushu by public transportation. It's just over the last 20 years that train and bus services in the inland mountains area of Kyushu have been reduced radically.

I'm not sure if Mt. Aso is the largest active volcano in Japan. If you count the whole Aso Caldera as a mountain, it could be true. What's known as Mt. Aso these days is Nakadake which is a tip on the plateau of Aso Caldera.
That's possibly the case, I can say for sure. I just know many stating that it is, so I'm just running with it. I'm aware of possible restrictions due to volcanic activity and it's a shame that the rope way is still suspended, so it's kind of a "play it by ear" situation. And yeah, transportation is definitely an issue when looking at these scenic areas and limits my choices as I wouldn't have the time or even the means to go to every place I would like to.

It's just over the last 20 years that train and bus services in the inland mountains area of Kyushu have been reduced radically.
Why so? You'd think they'd try to cater tot the increase of tourism like the rest of Japan does.

Why so? You'd think they'd try to cater tot the increase of tourism like the rest of Japan does.

I am going to make a wild guess and attribute it to the loss of population in the rural areas-the reason for most bus and train in rural areas.

Life is not the same out there. I was almost shocked when trains arrived late and express trains cancelled in Wakayama Prefecture last September. A voice would come over the train loudspeaker, telling us to get off the Express train and catch the next local in 25 minutes. Everybody lined up at the ticket office to get refunds, acting like it happened all the time.

That's possibly the case, I can say for sure. I just know many stating that it is, so I'm just running with it. I'm aware of possible restrictions due to volcanic activity and it's a shame that the rope way is still suspended, so it's kind of a "play it by ear" situation. And yeah, transportation is definitely an issue when looking at these scenic areas and limits my choices as I wouldn't have the time or even the means to go to every place I would like to.

Last time I went there (autumn last year) the ropeway was still closed and many roads as well. Nothing to do with tourism or population trends: it was related to the Kumamoto earthquake’s aftermaths. You could still see the nude portions of many mountains due to earth falls (whats the right english word for that?) , wasnt pretty