Suggestions for "backpacking" through Japan (and proclaiming "New Year's Resolution")

Last time I went there (autumn last year) the ropeway was still closed and many roads as well. Nothing to do with tourism or population trends: it was related to the Kumamoto earthquake’s aftermaths. You could still see the nude portions of many mountains due to earth falls (whats the right english word for that?) , wasnt pretty
Landslides, not earth falls. Oh fuck I’m french , I get a pass :)

You could still see the nude portions of many mountains due to earth falls (whats the right english word for that?) , wasnt pretty

Landslides I think. And yeah, I have several friends who have lost relatives in landslides over the years. The countryside being mostly build in mountain sides they kill more than anything else in earthquakes; and even without earthquakes.

That's possibly the case, I can say for sure. I just know many stating that it is, so I'm just running with it. I'm aware of possible restrictions due to volcanic activity and it's a shame that the rope way is still suspended, so it's kind of a "play it by ear" situation. And yeah, transportation is definitely an issue when looking at these scenic areas and limits my choices as I wouldn't have the time or even the means to go to every place I would like to.

It was not my intention to point out saying what you stated was wrong. I just wanted to point out that it's not a mountain like Mt. Fuji. Mt. Aso and Aso Caldera are very unique, say, there are towns and villages within the huge crater made by the eruption a million years ago.

Reactions: faboo2001
Why so? You'd think they'd try to cater tot the increase of tourism like the rest of Japan does.

It's because the majority of locals, residents and tourists, use cars to go wherever. Highway network in the island is well established. JR Kyushu invested heavily on Shinkansen and other trunk line services while cutting other services to stay profitable.

Last time I went there (autumn last year) the ropeway was still closed and many roads as well. Nothing to do with tourism or population trends: it was related to the Kumamoto earthquake’s aftermaths. You could still see the nude portions of many mountains due to earth falls (whats the right english word for that?) , wasnt pretty
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. It's well known the damage the earthquake caused when you hear about how Kumamoto Castle will take decades to repair, I have to wonder what else would be closed or under repair. Still something to consider, but maybe not for this trip.

It was not my intention to point out saying what you stated was wrong. I just wanted to point out that it's not a mountain like Mt. Fuji. Mt. Aso and Aso Caldera are very unique, say, there are towns and villages within the huge crater made by the eruption a million years ago.
No worries, I didn't take any offense with your post if that's what you worried about. And yeah from the pictures I've seen, I got the impression that Mt. Aso wasn't exactly what most people would consider as a "mountain". It's fine regardless to me since I'm in no mood to do any major climbing!

Reactions: Ken1988
UPDATE

So according to the experts, it looks like the Cherry Blossoms will be blooming a little earlier this year. Thankfully I think I would still manage to see the tail end of the cycle if I were to visit from the fist week of April. Plus if I REALLY need to see it, I can always accommodate by scheduling my exploration of northern Japan during the 2nd week of the trip. Some more info regarding the forecast for those at all interested:
https://n-kishou.com/corp/news-contents/sakura/news2018.html?lang=en

As for challenging myself to get myself in better shape, I wouldn't call it "proper" but I have gotten into a routine! It definitely helps that at my workplace one of the elevators has practically broken down at the moment, which sometimes forces me to walk up and down stairs if I need to get somewhere in a timely manner. I should probably start eating a little better as well....but I also plan on pigging out a bit when I go to Japan, cutting out food now might be counterproductive. I will say that parts of me are starting to get a little toned! Definitely not bragging since I still have a gut that won't go away. Still a work in progress, but it's a good start.
calvin-hobbes-gods-image.png

With the potential of missing some of the cherry blossom season, not being in "peak shape" for traveling around, and the amount of planning involved with only a month and a few weeks left, I was really on the fence about going on this trip for 2018.....that is until I found tickets for $860 (Canadian). It's too much of a deal for me to ignore, so it looks like I'm going!

Now it's the headache of coming up with an itinerary and booking hotels. It's a little overwhelming as I won't have a big city to explore/relax in as a fallback plan if plans fall through, but I'm sure I can figure things out. But in the meantime, I'm definitely still open to ideas and suggestions! Any landmarks, sites, and even foods you recommend outside of Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka I'm happy to hear them!

UPDATE

So according to the experts, it looks like the Cherry Blossoms will be blooming a little earlier this year. Thankfully I think I would still manage to see the tail end of the cycle if I were to visit from the fist week of April. Plus if I REALLY need to see it, I can always accommodate by scheduling my exploration of northern Japan during the 2nd week of the trip. Some more info regarding the forecast for those at all interested:
https://n-kishou.com/corp/news-contents/sakura/news2018.html?lang=en

As for challenging myself to get myself in better shape, I wouldn't call it "proper" but I have gotten into a routine! It definitely helps that at my workplace one of the elevators has practically broken down at the moment, which sometimes forces me to walk up and down stairs if I need to get somewhere in a timely manner. I should probably start eating a little better as well....but I also plan on pigging out a bit when I go to Japan, cutting out food now might be counterproductive. I will say that parts of me are starting to get a little toned! Definitely not bragging since I still have a gut that won't go away. Still a work in progress, but it's a good start.
calvin-hobbes-gods-image.png

With the potential of missing some of the cherry blossom season, not being in "peak shape" for traveling around, and the amount of planning involved with only a month and a few weeks left, I was really on the fence about going on this trip for 2018.....that is until I found tickets for $860 (Canadian). It's too much of a deal for me to ignore, so it looks like I'm going!

Now it's the headache of coming up with an itinerary and booking hotels. It's a little overwhelming as I won't have a big city to explore/relax in as a fallback plan if plans fall through, but I'm sure I can figure things out. But in the meantime, I'm definitely still open to ideas and suggestions! Any landmarks, sites, and even foods you recommend outside of Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka I'm happy to hear them!

No real pressure, but in my opinion...

You need to hurry and book accommodations. Around Sakura season-or any Japanese holiday, places fill up and you need to look and look and look.

No real pressure, but in my opinion...

You need to hurry and book accommodations. Around Sakura season-or any Japanese holiday, places fill up and you need to look and look and look.
Yeah for sure, which is why I'm REALLY need to figure out the route I want to take traveling around Japan.

Kinda in limbo right now in terms of planning my trip as I'm still trying to figure out when friends and family are free to meet and plan my schedule/itinerary accordingly.

As I'm trying to figure things out, I was hoping if someone could clarify or has some insight on the matter of lockers at JR stations. Specifically regarding this entry that states some locker can be used up to 3 days (https://www.jrpass.com/blogs/utilising-station-lockers). I was always under the assumption that you could only use it for a day, so I was wondering if this 3 day thing was true and a common or widely followed rule.

At any rate, one of my big concerns is what to do with my huge luggage case when I want to travel around. I'm thinking there might be a few instances where I won't have a hotel room I can't use as a "base" and keep my luggage there. And instead of lugging it around and constantly locking them up at every station/location I stop at, it would be ideal if there's a place I can just leave it and come back for it after a day or 2. Any solutions or suggestions for this issue is appreciated!

Thanks, though doing a quick glance over I think those services only apply in Tokyo? I should be ok when I'm in the Tokyo area....unless I'm forced to sleep in capsule hotels during my stay there. But always good to have options!

The Japanese version of the website says the service is available in Osaka, Fukuoka and...Ebina (in Kanagawa). I don't know why the English version doesn't show them all.

Anyway, this one looks better. The service is available in many locations.
https://cloak.ecbo.io/en

Usually I use Takkyubin to send my luggage to the hotel where I'll be staying the next or the day after that and put a few necessary things into my hand luggage when going around the countryside.

Relying on the lockers at stations can be difficult because of the tourist boom, the large lockers are usually not free. At some stations there is a place to leave your luggage, at department stores or railway offices (non JR) for example, but you'd have to research that in advance and even these places can become crowded to the point where they don't accept any luggage (at Osaka Station for example).

The Japanese version of the website says the service is available in Osaka, Fukuoka and...Ebina (in Kanagawa). I don't know why the English version doesn't show them all.
Ugh, I hate it when they do that but I guess it's unavoidable sometimes.

Anyway thanks guys for the suggestions. I MIGHT be able to avoid the issue entirely for the most part, but it's always good to know options are available should I need it.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Totally unrelated: I'll be staying near Uguisudani station while I'm in Tokyo and just occurred to me that the Yoshiwara area is pretty darn close by (20+ min walk, but still). Yeesh, the temptation is real...
swtn.gif

Not to mention there being somewhere in the neighbourhood of two gazillion delivery shops based in the area....

Just saw this thread and finally felt like I might have something to add.

Since moving here I've pretty much just stayed in shibuya and not travelled much sadly, with the exception of going to kamakura a few times.

There are some really lovely hiking trails, a giant breathtaking Buddha, and enough temples to keep you occupied and climbing stairs eagerly for ages.

The proximity to the ocean is enchanting, there are beautiful caves that seem to always be beckoning for exploration, some islands have stray cats that are almost too cute (although generally averse to being touched by humans). The seafood is incredible, there's loads of street meats and vendors lining certain winding uphill paths. It's all really picturesque and the whole feeling of the area is so inviting. It makes me feel incredibly warm inside.

I would highly recommend it !

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3113.html

Last edited:
Not to mention there being somewhere in the neighbourhood of two gazillion delivery shops based in the area....
Please+stop+this+madness+this+getting+out+of+hand+you_95646e_4513057.png

Stop!!!

...But at the same time, it is good to know that I'm living in a pretty convenient spot if I really have the urge. Haven't bothered looking, but I'm assuming Love Hotels are pretty abundant around there as well?

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Just saw this thread and finally felt like I might have something to add.

Since moving here I've pretty much just stayed in shibuya and not travelled much sadly, with the exception of going to kamakura a few times.

There are some really lovely hiking trails, a giant breathtaking Buddha, and enough temples to keep you occupied and climbing stairs eagerly for ages.

The proximity to the ocean is enchanting, there are beautiful caves that seem to always be beckoning for exploration, some islands have stray cats that are almost too cute (although generally averse to being touched by humans). The seafood is incredible, there's loads of street meats and vendors lining certain winding uphill paths. It's all really picturesque and the whole feeling of the area is so inviting. It makes me feel incredibly warm inside.

I would highly recommend it !

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3113.html

The giant Buddha is actually on my list!! Depending on my research, I might try to stretch that into a day trip.

If there are any other suggestions somewhat close to the Tokyo area, I'd be happy to hear it as I'm kind of drawing a blank at the moment. I'm sure I can think of things to do within Tokyo, but I'd prefer to venture out a bit if possible.

The giant Buddha is actually on my list!! Depending on my research, I might try to stretch that into a day trip.

If there are any other suggestions somewhat close to the Tokyo area, I'd be happy to hear it as I'm kind of drawing a blank at the moment. I'm sure I can think of things to do within Tokyo, but I'd prefer to venture out a bit if possible.

My vote for Kamakura.

It’s nice to walk on the hiking path from Kita Kamakura station to the Giant Buddha. It’s easy walk. After visiting the Buddha, you can take a train from Hase station either traveling east to Kamakura city center or traveling west to Enoshima island where you can have another nice walk up to the top of the island (or take a paid escalator for the way up) for awesome views. Btw, it’s the cats island closest to Tokyo.

Please+stop+this+madness+this+getting+out+of+hand+you_95646e_4513057.png

Stop!!!

...But at the same time, it is good to know that I'm living in a pretty convenient spot if I really have the urge. Haven't bothered looking, but I'm assuming Love Hotels are pretty abundant around there as well?
Yes, Uguisudani has numberous cheap love hotels. Quality wise not bad either if you don't go for bottom prices.

My vote for Kamakura.

It’s nice to walk on the hiking path from Kita Kamakura station to the Giant Buddha. It’s easy walk. After visiting the Buddha, you can take a train from Hase station either traveling east to Kamakura city center or traveling west to Enoshima island where you can have another nice walk up to the top of the island (or take a paid escalator for the way up) for awesome views. Btw, it’s the cats island closest to Tokyo.
I've read some mixed reviews regarding that island, in terms of cats that is. I think the population has drastically dropped over the past couple of years? But it totally slipped my mind that the island is there and is still something I would consider for the walking and views alone. Thanks!

I've read some mixed reviews regarding that island, in terms of cats that is. I think the population has drastically dropped over the past couple of years? But it totally slipped my mind that the island is there and is still something I would consider for the walking and views alone. Thanks!
Last time I went (last year) , not so many cats indeed. But if you like onsens and pools and if the sky is clear at sunset time, go to the EnoSpa at the entrance of the island. Even better if you are with a lady as most of the pools are mixed (swimsuit required). Romantic sunset view, with Mt Fuji in the distance, sipping a cocktail, cuddling in the water :rolleyes:
Www.enoshimaislandspa.com

Dang, so I hear that some of the cherry blossoms are already starting to bloom? Yeesh, hope it's still around when I get there.
YdWOE.gif