Guest viewing is limited

Surgery in Japan?

User#36191

TAG Member
Reaction score
I need an advice from as many people as possible.

I got injured the meniscus and ruptured the anterior crucial ligament 12 years ago. This time it is exactly the same situation, but in the other knee.

Now it is time to decide whether I should take this surgery in Japan or in overseas.

I don't know much about the pros and cons about the orthopedists, let alone hospitals in Japan. What I hear from Japanese people is that the system "should be good". I don't want to hear such biased opinions, especially from those Japanese people who have never had any type of surgery in overseas.

I only have the Shakai hoken which apparently will give me 60% of my salary. I don't know how I can apply to receive the salary after the surgery, though. 60% would be very little from what I'm used to receive. It will allow me cover the costs (rent, electricity, gas, water supply, food), but I won't live a comfortable life.

Scenario 1: Staying in Japan.

1.1. What type of temporary job would be possible to do in meanwhile?

I was considering doing some freelancer's type of job which could be successful or not. I don't want to rely solely on that option.

1.2 The knee ligament takes about 9 months to fully reconstitute and become functional from the medical point of view. Last time (12 years ago), I couldn't walk without crutches for about 2-3 weeks. There are NO one to take care of me, let alone go to the hospital. I don't care about this part, but I'm more worried about the payment. I heard about one person I know that while she did surgery, someone stole her belongings. How? I don't know. Maybe someone has gone through her locker and stole her valuable things while she was unconscious.

Even if Shakai hoken takes the responsibility of 70%, the remaining 30% is too much money. If I leave the money in the locker and someone takes my key, I will be in trouble to get off from the hospital. The staff would say: "whaat, you got no money?!".

1.3 I don't know how much the rehabilitation cost and how long it would be, if I treat myself in Japan.

I told my boss that I would be out for at least 1-2 months, but I'm considering 3-6 months, relying on Shakai hoken, freelancers here and there and something else.

In meanwhile, I thought about studying because I want to start my own business 3-5 years from now. It could be 1-3 years from now, depending on the circumstances and my own health.

1.4. If I'm about to leave either temporarily or permanently, I will have to cancel everything such as bank account etc. How can I receive money if I don't have a bank account here anymore? I don't think my superiors would be willing to go for a specific procedure of sending money to overseas (just because of me). Although I might have the right, I'd need to consult a lawyer, which I'm not willing to. I don't have such time. If the boss say "mendoukusai", I might not receive the remaining salaries.

I also have to cancel the contract regarding my place. It is too much headache...

Scenario 2: going overseas.

I already know the pros.

I can have surgery with good and famous orthopedists. They have been performing surgeries in high class athletes and they are specialized in knees.

I can always stay there as long as I need, then, go to overseas again. Not necessarily Japan.

In another topic, I asked about "Seimei hoken" or "life insurance" here because I was considering entering in one of the plans I've found. Apparently if I have entered some plans one year ago, I'd receive both Shakai hoken (60% of the wages) + this seimei hoken (of course, it depends on the type of plan you chose).

I'm not saying that money is necessarily a problem. It is just that I don't think it is worth sending money from my account in overseas to Japan because of the taxes of the country of origin. Too much money will be wasted because of the taxes. Really too much.

The text is too long, but if anyone has any advice, I will appreciate that.

Reactions: Simonka
I don't know much about the pros and cons about the orthopedists, let alone hospitals in Japan. What I hear from Japanese people is that the system "should be good". I don't want to hear such biased opinions, especially from those Japanese people who have never had any type of surgery in overseas.
I've had surgery in Japan - It was handled just as well as anywhere else. There were no complications and everything was perfectly fine afterwards.
I'd possibly recommend sticking with larger hospitals that carry all specialties.

For your situation - I have no experience in that area and I don't have any immediate friends that have either. (Japanese or not)

Too much money will be wasted because of the taxes. Really too much.
Why do you need to pay the tax again? If you've already paid taxes on the money you plan to send, you can't be taxed over again for it.
I've transferred large sums of money overseas for over ten years and never have run into a tax issue.

I've had surgery in Japan - It was handled just as well as anywhere else. There were no complications and everything was perfectly fine afterwards.
I'd possibly recommend sticking with larger hospitals that carry all specialties.

For your situation - I have no experience in that area and I don't have any immediate friends that have either. (Japanese or not)

Why do you need to pay the tax again? If you've already paid taxes on the money you plan to send, you can't be taxed over again for it.
I've transferred large sums of money overseas for over ten years and never have run into a tax issue.

Yes, I went to the largest or one of the largest hospitals in Tokyo. It is a very famous one. I saw a bunch of professional athletes there, too, some of whom I could recognize. So, well, I guess everything should be okay, hopefully. It has all specialties as well.

Oh, yes, I meant that I've transferred a some amount of money from overseas and what I received is very little. The taxes on the money I planned to send were way too high, but it would be a plan B in case I need an extra cash during rehabilitation in Japan.

The taxes on the money I planned to send were way too high,
Again, you shouldn't be TAXED on money that's already yours. If you're talking about FX issues, that can't really be helped, but do stick with a flat rate transfer service.

Don’t forget that the cost of the procedure is fixed in Japan - and also that you can apply ahead of time to have expenses above your cap paid directly by your shakai hoken provider. Your cap should be around 80,000 per month plus 1-2% of the total cost if you’re making an average salary.

Your HR person can take care of that for you.

We’ve had some clients go through the surgery here, typically they’ve been back at work in a month to six weeks.

I've had surgery in USA and In Japan... Japanese surgery was back related so more complicated. I was employee of Japanese company and national health insurance paid 70% and I paid 30 % and claimed the 30% with company so I was reimbursed most of it (maybe special case) I was going to go back to work in Japan after surgery, but their system was if I work part time then I would only get part time salary... if I was not working at all, then I got my full salary (maybe special case) so I was off work for 2 months... Medical system here was top notch equipment wise (Red Cross Hospital in Hiroo) Pain management was a bit of disappointment.. I'm not sure if it was due to nerve pain or fact that Japan system not want to prescribe stronger medication.
As for your other items... sorry I can not comment.

Pain management was a bit of disappointment.. I'm not sure if it was due to nerve pain or fact that Japan system not want to prescribe stronger medication..
Stronger pain medications are very tightly regulated here, as the government doesn’t want an opiate addiction problem.

Don’t forget that the cost of the procedure is fixed in Japan - and also that you can apply ahead of time to have expenses above your cap paid directly by your shakai hoken provider. Your cap should be around 80,000 per month plus 1-2% of the total cost if you’re making an average salary.

Your HR person can take care of that for you.

We’ve had some clients go through the surgery here, typically they’ve been back at work in a month to six weeks.

Good to know that! And I've just read that on the pamphlet I got from the hospital, too.

Reactions: Sudsy
Part one ACL experience in Japan, but almost 30 years ago, part two, recent surgery but not the knee
Part one
I blew out my ACL doing judo followed by basketball. Was misdiagnosed here and when I went back to the states, was told that my ACL was gone ('gee, haven't seen a knee this sloppy in a long time' was what the uni doc said). No insurance, but even if I had, it might have been iffy. Also, I was no longer young and had stopped doing any kind of competitions, so getting the reconstruction was not really recommended. An orthopedic surgeon friend of the family said if I wasn't going to do stress the knee much, I could just strengthen the muscles around the knee and went with that. While medicine has changed a lot, I found that with some other injuries and other people who have had injuries, the surgery is at a much higher standard but rehabilitation has always been given a short shrift here. I'm not sure if you had your other knee operated on previously, or if you did what I did, but if you are willing to avoid the high risk injuries (sports with jumping and twisting motions where your full body weight goes on the knee), you might want to think about that as an option. Also, you also didn't give your age, so that might factor into it. I've tweaked the knee a few times but in the past 10 years, nothing to speak of, but it's more been learning to live within the limits.
Part 2
Had some surgery recently for a totally different problem that was state of the art. It was at a university hospital and my impression is that those are better. The surgery was one that didn't need rehabilitation (wasn't related to joints), but even if it were, the way hospital charges are in the states, there is no way in hell I would have considered having it there. Also go over the reimbursement with several people, there are lots of ins and outs that can save money like what Sudsy mentioned.

If you do decide to get it done here (and again, it may be your body telling you you aren't young anymore, which sucks, but you may want to listen), I would try and cast your net as wide as you can and find people who have had the same surgery/condition you have and quiz them. Take notes and get recommendations, get a notebook to figure out all the technical vocabulary so you can manage your course of treatment. Good luck.

Sorry, one more thing. If you decide to be hospitalized in Japan, start up a new thread about that, I (and I'm sure that the others here) will have some suggestions to make your stay easier.

some suggestions to make your stay easier

You mean like keeping a stack of small items on your table to "accidentally" knock off so you can ask the pretty nurse to bend over and pick them up for you?

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Meniscus and ligament knee surgery has proven to be a waste of time and money. Google it and you will see enough reports from credible sources, Mayo Clinic, Harvard etc. that conclude patients who had surgery vs therapy are no different. Their knees either hurt or they don’t and it has no correlation to surgery.

Reactions: Negi77 and Ken1988
Meniscus and ligament knee surgery has proven to be a waste of time and money. Google it and you will see enough reports from credible sources, Mayo Clinic, Harvard etc. that conclude patients who had surgery vs therapy are no different. Their knees either hurt or they don’t and it has no correlation to surgery.

Yeah, it could be Myofascial Pain Syndrome (MPS). Trigger Point Injection (TPI) may be effective, but not so many clinics in Japan offer TPI.

Japan is definitely super-conservative with powerful pain management drugs.... this is one downside if you're used to having access to western medicine.

Yeah I've had two surgeries here now (and my wisdom teeth taken out) the lack of pain meds is pretty much the WORST part.

Request Loxoprofen, it's available here and it's not much of a pain killer but it is great at reducing swelling which helps keep things y'know, somewhat tolerable.

My personal experience so far is that as long as i have good anesthetics during the operation, i’m not really in need for pain meds after as long as I don’t bumb into stuff. So so far, Japanese medical care has worked for me.

My personal experience so far is that as long as i have good anesthetics during the operation, i’m not really in need for pain meds after as long as I don’t bumb into stuff. So so far, Japanese medical care has worked for me.

Good to hear that. In my case, I just need anesthetics before the surgery. As for the medicament after the surgery, I guess I will refuse to take them. Actually, I`m planning to talk to the doctor about this.

Yeah I've had two surgeries here now (and my wisdom teeth taken out) the lack of pain meds is pretty much the WORST part.

Request Loxoprofen, it's available here and it's not much of a pain killer but it is great at reducing swelling which helps keep things y'know, somewhat tolerable.

I think I will be okay without Loxoprofen. It will be painful, anyway. From my experience, I think only the first week will be worth taking some pills. I won`t take from second week onward...

Unfortunately in my case I will need the surgery procedure. I can walk like a normal person, but I can`t run. I have trouble to go upstairs on train stations. Not being able to play sports at a competitive level and having restrictions when it comes to sex, it is not a joke.

The thing about the surgery is related to the stability that I no longer have since I got it ruptured.

I don't think you can keep receiving the 60% of your salary if you do a part time job. You've got to ask about that.

Good to hear that. In my case, I just need anesthetics before the surgery. As for the medicament after the surgery, I guess I will refuse to take them. Actually, I`m planning to talk to the doctor about this.

I think I will be okay without Loxoprofen. It will be painful, anyway. From my experience, I think only the first week will be worth taking some pills. I won`t take from second week onward...

Unfortunately in my case I will need the surgery procedure. I can walk like a normal person, but I can`t run. I have trouble to go upstairs on train stations. Night be better tan ot being able to play sports at a competitive level and having restrictions when it comes to sex, it is not a joke.

The thing about the surgery is related to the stability that I no longer have since I got it ruptured.
ACL Surgery might work. The evidence says that in some cases it is worth doing, and if it is done correctly, the outcome might be better than doing nothing. Although there is mounting evidence that it actually heals on its own in some cases. Meniscus surgery has been pretty much discredited. If you go to a surgeon he will say surgery. if you go to a physiotherapist he will say physiotherapy. The fact, based on evidence, is that it will get better over time no matter which you choose.

Reactions: Negi77
I had to take a decision.

My surgery is scheduled for December. However, I'm not sure if I will have the surgery by December because I'm actually thinking about changing jobs. I guess, I won't be able to get the benefit of Shakai Hoken.

In theory, I should have either Shakai hoken or Kokumin, right? If I go for the surgery holding just the Kokumin, will the prices will be much higher? Would I pay 100% of the expenses?

I wanted to do freelancer because I'm fed up of my current "slavery system". Working 6 times per week is not a joke. It is called slavery system...

But if I can manage to survive two more months and if it is worth using Shakai hoken over Kokumin Hoken, then, I will definitely wait for the next year (until I fully recover) to start looking for new jobs.

I had to take a decision.

My surgery is scheduled for December. However, I'm not sure if I will have the surgery by December because I'm actually thinking about changing jobs. I guess, I won't be able to get the benefit of Shakai Hoken.

In theory, I should have either Shakai hoken or Kokumin, right? If I go for the surgery holding just the Kokumin, will the prices will be much higher? Would I pay 100% of the expenses?

I wanted to do freelancer because I'm fed up of my current "slavery system". Working 6 times per week is not a joke. It is called slavery system...

But if I can manage to survive two more months and if it is worth using Shakai hoken over Kokumin Hoken, then, I will definitely wait for the next year (until I fully recover) to start looking for new jobs.
Your complaining about your job here and the health care system here makes me think you should go home to wherever you can from. And complain about it there. There is no slavery here in Japan. Slaves are prisoners who are forced to work. You have lots of choices. Sorry you are having job and knee problems. You should be thankful you are in Japan. Lots of job choices, good national insurance and lots of good hospitals too.

Reactions: Frenchy
I guess, I won't be able to get the benefit of Shakai Hoken.

Even if you leave your job, you can extend your shakai hoken coverage by up to two years.

But NHI will cover you the same for medical procedures.