Tarantino

Anikaluv

Fun lover & companion.
Reaction score
Okay, so lately I have begun seeing a lot of cinema classics and cult classics. I.E Citizen Kane, The Godfather I-III, Rocky Horror, etc. I know Tarantino is a fantastic director and he has several films to back that up. But as someone who had never seen his work before, which would be a movie that would be best to start with?

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Well, Pulp Fiction is the one that put him on the map.

I have heard of it, but I was not sure if I should start there or if there was one that would be more appealing.

Pulp Fiction & Kill Bill 1 & 2

Pulp Fiction is just a fantastic play on juxtapositional storytelling with a wonderful mcguffin thrown in.

Kill Bill pays homage to the 70's classic movies.

Other than those not really a big fan of his.

You can also check out JACKIE BROWN.
It’s Tarantino’s fantastic take on a blaxploitation film based on an Elmore Leonard novel.
In the title role, Pam Grier, who was 48 years old when the film was released in 1997, had never been better. She looked so fine, too.
Veteran actor Robert Forster, who got an Oscar nomination for his supporting role, made me wish more people would see how good he was in his early work. The late great John Huston directed Forster in his film debut, REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYE, in 1967. I checked that out after seeing his old 70s TV shows, BANYON and NAKIA.

What!? Never seen a Tarantino movie?o_O
Maybe start with one of the classics like pulp fiction. Then watch everything else on his filmography (see Wikipedia)

Yes, i'd say first go for Pulp Fiction.

Kill Bill is nice, probably the first ones i saw, but its a bit over the top cheesy.

A personal favorite of me is Inglorious Basterds. Its very cultured and less purposely cheesy than his other work.

Reactions: DireWolf98
Inglorious Basterds

Mmmhmm...

bear-jew.jpg

Before I was too young to see any of his films and now I have the time so I will most certainly begin with Pulp Fiction. Probably go with Inglorious Basterds after. I have a holiday tomorrow so it will come in handy to binge movies.

Watch them all in order with Res Dogs being 1st

Start with Reservoir Dogs (his first one), then watch all of his movies up to The Hateful Eight.

Reactions: just4fun
I must get around to seeing Reservoir Dogs... I enjoyed Pulp Fiction and I had great expectations for his films after that. But all the others that I've seen (Kill Bill, Hateful Eight, Inglorious Basterds, Django Unchained, and probably some others that I'm forgetting) seem to be rather dull and repetitive variations on a revenge theme. The thinking seems so immature to me - like some kid playing with superhero dolls and arguing with a friend about which of his favourite super-heroes would beat the others.

But all the others that I've seen (Kill Bill, Hateful Eight, Inglorious Basterds, Django Unchained, and probably some others that I'm forgetting) seem to be rather dull and repetitive variations on a revenge theme. .
Pretty much my thinking as well. Other than Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown most of his work just seems to go over the top in a way I've chalked up to generational differences.

I must get around to seeing Reservoir Dogs... I enjoyed Pulp Fiction and I had great expectations for his films after that. But all the others that I've seen (Kill Bill, Hateful Eight, Inglorious Basterds, Django Unchained, and probably some others that I'm forgetting) seem to be rather dull and repetitive variations on a revenge theme. The thinking seems so immature to me - like some kid playing with superhero dolls and arguing with a friend about which of his favourite super-heroes would beat the others.

Oh, I had no idea. I would need to look at some of them. I am not necessarily looking to see all of his films. Just a choice 2 or 3. I already watched a few from Guillermo del Toro and Taika Waititi. But I am not thinking of watching every movie by every director or I would never get out of the house.

The thing about his films, starting from the very beginning, is that they have almost always been full of gratuitous violence. This is his trademark as far as I’m concerned. And it’s worked for him because his young, self-conscience audience of hipsters like to laud and recommend his movies as a way to convey a message about themselves: I’m cool, the violence doesn’t bother me. Im so jaded. There is nothing that can shock me. I think it’s funny and hip etc. The ear cutting scene in Resevoir Dogs is a great example. Tarantino is challenging the audience to not be shocked. If you are shocked you are not cool. It’s complete BS. But it has worked brilliantly for Tarantino. Personally I like some of his films in spite of the over the top violence. But if you want to talk about real film makers, I would say Spike Lee has made hip and cool films that also happen to say something. Clockers and Do the Right Thing are two examples.

Before I was too young to see any of his films and now I have the time so I will most certainly begin with Pulp Fiction. Probably go with Inglorious Basterds after. I have a holiday tomorrow so it will come in handy to binge movies.
Let us know what you think?

I also watched pulk fiction for the first time quite late in life and it really blew my mind.

Reactions: Anikaluv
Pulp Fiction of course.

The thing with Kill Bill is it’s working on two levels. First as an ultra violent revenge story but also it’s his love poem to 70s Japanese cinema. Lady Snowblood, Bohachi Bushido and other “Pinky Violence” films.

The thing with Kill Bill is it’s working on two levels. First as an ultra violent revenge story but also it’s his love poem to 70s Japanese cinema. Lady Snowblood, Bohachi Bushido and other “Pinky Violence” films.
Failing on multiple levels. First as a piece of entertainment.

Failing on multiple levels. First as a piece of entertainment.
The value of entertainment is subjective so I think you need to back up the claim about multiple levels. Its not my intent to defend this piece of Tarantino's work but rather to challenge a unsubstantiated claim.That is to say cheap shots are easy, but ultimately worthless.

The value of entertainment is subjective so I think you need to back up the claim about multiple levels. Its not my intent to defend this piece of Tarantino's work but rather to challenge a unsubstantiated claim.That is to say cheap shots are easy, but ultimately worthless.
When I read your comment that the film is "working on multiple levels," I felt that you were giving rather lofty praise for a schlock film. The fact that it draws stylistic influence from other genres doesn't qualify as working on multiple levels. When George Lucas took a Western and set it in Space, that didn't make Star Wars "work on multiple levels." (We could have a separate discussion about whether Star Wars, or Westerns work on multiple levels, but I'm saying that a stylistic choice, in itself, doesn't mean that the film is "working on different levels").
When I think about "working on multiple levels," I often think of allegorical films. An example is Deliverance; a film that seems like a basic escape from hell narrative with action, horror, suspense and all that good stuff. But it invites a thoughtful view of attitudes to rape (shocking us with a male rape), about male machismo, about stereotypes of country vs. city, educated vs. uneducated, modern vs. traditional values.
Fuck it, Paddington Bear works on multiple levels - on the one hand it's a story about a cute bear and some baddies, on the other hand it examines current British attitudes to immigration with a deft use of Calypso music, which was the soundtrack to the first wave of immigration to Britain after WW2. That's working on two levels.
When I watched Kill Bill, I saw a pastiche of Tarantino's favorite styles with a yawn-inducing revenge plot and two-dimensional characters. If it is attempting to work on multiple levels, I find that it fails, because I simply can't tell what those levels are supposed to be. As a piece of entertainment it also fails... I'm speaking for myself, of course. It's my opinion. And my opinion is subjective, natch.
Peace.

Last edited:
I felt that you were giving rather lofty praise for a schlock film.

I stated a fact. Thats not praise.

The fact that it draws stylistic influence from other genres doesn't qualify as working on multiple levels.
because I simply can't tell what those levels are supposed to be.

Probably you haven't seen many or any of those 70s Pinky Violence films and thats why you cant tell what Tarantino was up to. Really has nothing to do with liking or disliking the movie.

I'm speaking for myself, of course. It's my opinion.

Fair enough

I stated a fact. Thats not praise.
I may have been confused by the description of the film as a love poem and by my understanding of the phrase "working on two levels,."
So do you like it or not?