The Anything Goes Thread

6D1151EF-F38B-4413-9624-3C4B50ED15BF.jpeg

I was just about to pile on to say the same thing.

Don't ever engage.

Haven't you read/watched Enduring Love???

I am pretty sure I read it...but don't remember anything about it. I will have to read it again. You prodded me into digging "Dubliners" out of storage - half way thru it.

Reactions: Tabanico
It's great, right? Holy shit, that book is the best book in the history of books. Anything by Ian McEwan is also pretty fucking good. And Graham Swift.

Make Waterland your next read.

And then maybe Capital, by John Lanchester.

And then Normal People by Sally Rooney, who, in my opinion is the closest we have to another James Joyce these days.

And then if you haven't read it, Remains of the Day.

And then On Golden Hill by Francis Spufford. Or someone.

And obviously Voice of the Fire by Alan Moore.

And a bunch of other stuff.

Reactions: Frenchy
It's great, right? Holy shit, that book is the best book in the history of books. Anything by Ian McEwan is also pretty fucking good. And Graham Swift.

Make Waterland your next read.

And then maybe Capital, by John Lanchester.

And then Normal People by Sally Rooney, who, in my opinion is the closest we have to another James Joyce these days.

And then if you haven't read it, Remains of the Day.

And then On Golden Hill by Francis Spufford. Or someone.

And obviously Voice of the Fire by Alan Moore.

And a bunch of other stuff.

The last two books I read were very good - highly recommend:

Educated - Tara Westover ( non-fiction/bio)
Why We Sleep - Mathew Walker (non-fiction)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tabanico
Why We Sleep - Mathew Walker (non-fiction)

Must be the shortest book in the world. "Because we are tired" would pretty much cover it, no?

Though the one with the most deep deprivation at death is the winner.

I saw where JR East will rebuild an exact replica of the old Harajuku Station on the sight where the old one once stood. No word on what the new building will be used for.

I saw where JR East will rebuild an exact replica of the old Harajuku Station on the sight where the old one once stood. No word on what the new building will be used for.
Which invites the question : why didnt they just leave the old one as is ? Instead of building an exact replica at the same place. It’s not like Ise temple , it’s just a station :)

Which invites the question : why didnt they just leave the old one as is ? Instead of building an exact replica at the same place. It’s not like Ise temple , it’s just a station :)
The old station, picturesque as it is, was a bit of a fire hazard.

Obon Travel?

Anyone leaving Tokyo over obon?

My neighborhood seems pretty quiet already....wondering if they have all left town?
Shinkansen traffic out of Tokyo station is down significantly. Does that mean people are using their cars? Anyone encountered heavy traffic escaping Tokyo?

Reactions: Durg50