The mask is on and the truth comes out

ARajOne

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a new member, only joined a few days ago (the 15th to be precise) and I'm looking to learn about a side of Japan I haven't yet encountered. This online persona should help with that because, as it has been said, give a man a mask and he'll tell you the truth (to paraphrase Oscar Wilde).

So a little about me:
Been here in Japan for almost 4 years now, a curious man in the late 20s/early 30s age bracket, and not had a lot of success of the intimate kind despite my Japanese knowledge (I've got to the point where I can now work in a Japanese company), and social skills. I have often wondered out loud that, despite growing up in a Western nation the fact that I look neither 'Asian' nor European is a barrier out here.
  • Can any of the non-white non-Asian members shed some light on this for me?
I live a very rich and varied life aside from this so if you want to chat about almost any topic under the sun I'm down!

I've joined the forum for the following:
  • Which HBs the members would recommend for a man like myself (in good shape, symmetrical face, Japanese ability) to go to? From earlier snooping 9259 and Bliss Out come up a lot.
  • Would a kyaba place even let me in? (Got a little discouraged from some things I've read about South Asian and Middle Easterners being NG)
  • Any general recommendations of watering holes where there's a more balanced sex ratio. I like the places I go to but it's all men and so to even speak to a woman is automatically hitting on her, which as any good Nampa person will tell you, is not the narrative you want.
Anyways I've joined because you seem like a friendly bunch that can help me out of the rut and trepidation I'm currently in, because I'm willing to learn, and above all enjoy life fully.

To those that reply and give advice: thank you in advance!

よろしくお願いいたします。

Welcome aboard. Hope you enjoy your ride and no pun intended.

I don’t think kybakura make a point of refusing foreigners of color. Maybe some of the super fancy places may if you don’t come with a wealthy and dandy Japanese chaperone.
But if you go to the places that are a bit more relaxed and low key and you can hold a conversation in Japanese, i think many places are happy to take your money.

Bars in Japan are often places to go out with friends rather than to meet new people. If girls go to bars they will likely be with a group of lady friends and not on the hunt.
I don’t know if you have tried Hub, they tend to have gaijin hunter girls. And appearantly there are bars in Ginza with a lot of older ladies although I don’t know well about that and if they appreciate nampa.

If you live in Japan and speak Japanese and have a Japanese insurance card, you can try any happening bar you want that has been mentioned on the forum (i gues there are some completely off limit for any foreigners but haven’t run into them). Its hit and miss in any place and never a safe bet to go as a single male.

Hello all,

I'm a new member, only joined a few days ago (the 15th to be precise) and I'm looking to learn about a side of Japan I haven't yet encountered. This online persona should help with that because, as it has been said, give a man a mask and he'll tell you the truth (to paraphrase Oscar Wilde).

So a little about me:
Been here in Japan for almost 4 years now, a curious man in the late 20s/early 30s age bracket, and not had a lot of success of the intimate kind despite my Japanese knowledge (I've got to the point where I can now work in a Japanese company), and social skills. I have often wondered out loud that, despite growing up in a Western nation the fact that I look neither 'Asian' nor European is a barrier out here.
  • Can any of the non-white non-Asian members shed some light on this for me?
I live a very rich and varied life aside from this so if you want to chat about almost any topic under the sun I'm down!

I've joined the forum for the following:
  • Which HBs the members would recommend for a man like myself (in good shape, symmetrical face, Japanese ability) to go to? From earlier snooping 9259 and Bliss Out come up a lot.
  • Would a kyaba place even let me in? (Got a little discouraged from some things I've read about South Asian and Middle Easterners being NG)
  • Any general recommendations of watering holes where there's a more balanced sex ratio. I like the places I go to but it's all men and so to even speak to a woman is automatically hitting on her, which as any good Nampa person will tell you, is not the narrative you want.
Anyways I've joined because you seem like a friendly bunch that can help me out of the rut and trepidation I'm currently in, because I'm willing to learn, and above all enjoy life fully.

To those that reply and give advice: thank you in advance!

よろしくお願いいたします。
よろしく

I don't think being non Asian nor European is a barrier, I know many who are neither and have no problems and you can find guys who struggle to get laid even among locals so don't make it an ethnically related issue. Now don't ask me "then why" cause I don't know you and I've never seen you talking with girls.

And to answer one your other questions 9259 is better for couples and I'd recommend Sleeping Beauty for single guys as there are usually more girls in it. I've never been to bliss out.

For nanpa I'd recommend 300 yen bar in Ginza, it's a standing bar and many girls told me it's famous for nanpa. So if the girls who go there know that then they are there for that :D

Hello there, thank you so much for your reply! 誠にありがとうございます。

I don't think being non Asian nor European is a barrier, I know many who are neither and have no problems and you can find guys who struggle to get laid even among locals so don't make it an ethnically related issue.
I'll try not to. Guess I'm still annoyed from ads saying 'whites only' and 'no brown guys' and the two times I was told that face to face. From a scientist's perspective these are outliers but I'm not gonna lie (got the mask on don't I?) it stung. I imagine for most it's not an issue beyond a subconscious bias that is easily corrected by the right kind of person. But I digress.

Now don't ask me "then why" cause I don't know you and I've never seen you talking with girls.
I promise you I wasn't going to. I've done that discussion to death. It's time for action instead.

And to answer one your other questions 9259 is better for couples and I'd recommend Sleeping Beauty for single guys as there are usually more girls in it.
Duly noted, thank you. Just biding my time till payday then...

For nanpa I'd recommend 300 yen bar in Ginza, it's a standing bar and many girls told me it's famous for nanpa. So if the girls who go there know that then they are there for that
Haha, this place has been recommended so many times on here, never had a place so highly rated! I guess I'll have to give it a go. Better do it quick before it gets taken over by men like my other hangouts.

Let this be the start of me pulling my socks up and getting something done.

I'll try not to. Guess I'm still annoyed from ads saying 'whites only' and 'no brown guys' and the two times I was told that face to face. From a scientist's perspective these are outliers but I'm not gonna lie (got the mask on don't I?) it stung. I imagine for most it's not an issue beyond a subconscious bias that is easily corrected by the right kind of person. But I digress.
Ads for what?

Reactions: Wwanderer
Hello there, thank you so much for your reply! 誠にありがとうございます。

I understand the sensitiveness about "race" but forget that here, it only becomes a thing if you make it one.
Haha, this place has been recommended so many times on here, never had a place so highly rated! I guess I'll have to give it a go. Better do it quick before it gets taken over by men like my other hangouts.

Let this be the start of me pulling my socks up and getting something done.
I want to try the place myself, maybe we can go together :D

Ads for what?
I meant ads like personal ads that Craigslist used to have. Also a dating profile here and there. But as @e-smile has said it's as big of a thing as I make it.

But I do want to thank everyone for the advice and assistance both direct and indirect I've been given so far, it's been great!

Reactions: Simonka