The Next US President is....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mitch McConnell just got re-elected in 2020 to a six-year term. The dude is 78 years old. He could have voted to convict Trump, but he didn’t do so.

There was never any way in hell Trump was going to be convicted in the Senate, whether by sheer numbers or based on simple political strategy. The Democrats didn't have the numbers and they knew it, and continued this nonsense because they need the headlines and narrative to hurt the GOP's chances in 2024. The GOP was never, ever going to vote to convict because that would cause intra-party revolt and absolutely enrage the remaining Trump loyalists who they need if they want to stand a chance in 2024.

This is all theater. The only people who should truly be upset are the American taxpayers, because they just paid millions for a bullshit theatrical skit.

i love Romney too

(getting ready for the next 50 lines of rebuke... ;))

Good for you, I hope you get to meet him. He's like a combination of Al Gore and John Kerry, minus the charisma and fun.

There was never any way in hell Trump was going to be convicted in the Senate, whether by sheer numbers or based on simple political strategy. The Democrats didn't have the numbers and they knew it, and continued this nonsense because they need the headlines and narrative to hurt the GOP's chances in 2024. The GOP was never, ever going to vote to convict because that would cause intra-party revolt and absolutely enrage the remaining Trump loyalists who they need if they want to stand a chance in 2024.

This is all theater. The only people who should truly upset are the American taxpayers, because they just paid millions for a bullshit theatrical skit.

oh they paid millions for an impeachment about Clinton lying re. a blowjob , and probably millions to repair the damage done to the Capitol on Jan 6 ( which is really why you hate this trial by the way: this fucked up storming DID happen , however the GOP wants to conveniently forget it now).

oh they paid millions for an impeachment about Clinton lying re. a blowjob , and probably millions to repair the damage done to the Capitol on Jan 6 ( which is really why you hate this trial by the way: this fucked up storming DID happen , however the GOP wants to conveniently forget it now).

This might be hard for you to accept, but the Clinton Impeachment wasn't a "choice." Bill Clinton lied while under oath testifying before Congress. It wasn't a question of, "Well, did he lie?" It didn't matter what he lied about. The blowjob had no bearing at all. He lied, it was black and white and the House was therefore obligated by law and Constitutional mandate to impeach him, or at the very least hold an impeachment vote. It just sucked for Bill that at that point in time, the GOP controlled the House (and controlled it because of his choice to push the 1994 AWB) so the vote passed.

Trump was very different. The question was, "Did he incite the violence?" Maybe, maybe not. I think he did, but that's not the point. There was no clear cut answer. It can be argued for years. The point is, it wasn't black and white like the Clinton case. Therefore, the House was not obligated to hold an impeachment vote. It just sucked for The Donald and the country because at that point in time (and due to his behavior) the Democrats controlled the House and the vote to hold a pointless trial passed.

Again, understand the law, understand the process and then try to understand the nature of political theater.

This might be hard for you to accept, but the Clinton Impeachment wasn't a "choice." Bill Clinton lied while under oath testifying before Congress. It wasn't a question of, "Well, did he lie?" It didn't matter what he lied about. The blowjob had no bearing at all. He lied, it was black and white and the House was therefore obligated by law and Constitutional mandate to impeach him, or at the very least hold an impeachment vote. It just sucked for Bill that at that point in time, the GOP controlled the House (and controlled it because of his choice to push the 1994 AWB) so the vote passed.

Trump was very different. The question was, "Did he incite the violence?" Maybe, maybe not. I think he did, but that's not the point. There was no clear cut answer. It can be argued for years. The point is, it wasn't black and white like the Clinton case. Therefore, the House was not obligated to hold an impeachment vote. It just sucked for The Donald and the country because at that point in time (and due to his behavior) the Democrats controlled the House and the vote to hold a pointless trial passed.

Again, understand the law, understand the process and then try to understand the nature of political theater.

yes boss , I get it
Clinton’s offense was way worse , obviously :ROFLMAO:
Quite sure a majority of Americans feel that way too
As for political theater your only argument is in the end , there was no way Trump would have been found guilty so it was not worth having the trial.
Well in this case same thing can be said about any trial where a criminal is found innocent
If you can even consider a 57/43 guilty verdict (including a record number of Senators from the President’s party) to be an innocenting one.
By the way a majority of congressmen (not to mention most Constitution scholars) found there is ground for impeachment so you cannot say it was clear cut in the case of Clinton and not in the case of Trump

Oh and by the way , Trump didn’t even have the balls to defend himself in front of Congress (where he would have most certainly lied too)

Reactions: just4fun
As for political theater your only argument is in the end , there was no way Trump would have been found guilty so it was not worth having the trial.
Well in this case same thing can be said about any trial where a criminal is found innocent

Show me where I argued against having a trial? I said it was pointless, and that taxpayers should be angry, but I didn't say I was against having it. Far from it.

I don't care about wasting money. This trial played a very important role in the upcoming mid-term and 2024 elections. The Democrats just put on a huge show for the American people, wasted a whole bunch of money and ultimately for nothing. It shows weakness. And it's very useful for the upcoming GOP campaigns, where the party desperately needs to start distancing from Trump and rebuilding the brand.

You're going to start seeing this exact message being pushed shortly, particularly by GOP challenges who want to flip Congressional seats and take back the majority: "Democrats own the White House, The Senate, The House, spent millions of YOUR tax dollars and what did they achieve? NOTHING." It will hurt Democrats.

Trump, whenever he finally gets himself a new messaging platform, will no doubt start bragging about being the only president in history twice impeached, twice acquitted. It'll piss off GOP leadership but it will certainly delight his followers. Happy followers are more likely to turn out to vote next time.

Whenever one party has control of D.C. and pisses away the opportunity to enact anything meaningful (or, worse, pass really shitty legislation), it opens up a bigger opportunity for the other side in mid-terms. And if you're an independent who just watched this whole impeachment mess unfold and ultimately result in fat fucking nothing, there's a chance you might be willing to give the other guys a chance next time if they can manage to unfuck themselves quickly enough.

I thought the trial was worth every cent of someone else's money.

Show me where I argued against having a trial? I said it was pointless, and that taxpayers should be angry, but I didn't say I was against having it. Far from it.

I don't care about wasting money. This trial played a very important role in the upcoming mid-term and 2024 elections. The Democrats just put on a huge show for the American people, wasted a whole bunch of money and ultimately for nothing. It shows weakness. And it's very useful for the upcoming GOP campaigns, where the party desperately needs to start distancing from Trump and rebuilding the brand.

You're going to start seeing this exact message being pushed shortly, particularly by GOP challenges who want to flip Congressional seats and take back the majority: "Democrats own the White House, The Senate, The House, spent millions of YOUR tax dollars and what did they achieve? NOTHING." It will hurt Democrats.

Trump, whenever he finally gets himself a new messaging platform, will no doubt start bragging about being the only president in history twice impeached, twice acquitted. It'll piss off GOP leadership but it will certainly delight his followers. Happy followers are more likely to turn out to vote next time.

Whenever one party has control of D.C. and pisses away the opportunity to enact anything meaningful (or, worse, pass really shitty legislation), it opens up a bigger opportunity for the other side in mid-terms. And if you're an independent who just watched this whole impeachment mess unfold and ultimately result in fat fucking nothing, there's a chance you might be willing to give the other guys a chance next time if they can manage to unfuck themselves quickly enough.

I thought the trial was worth every cent of someone else's money.

Good then, it will all turn into your party’s favor , you should be happy mate!
A fact remains though: a majority of Senators found Trump guilty.
Maybe not the required super-majority, but still a majority. Don’t see much reason to brag about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: SugoiBoy
Good then, it will all turn into your party’s favor , you should be happy mate!

I am happy, and quite confident it will ultimately work in the GOP's favor. Enough to win back the House majority in 2022? I don't think so. Enough to win the WH in 2024? Too early to make that prediction. But if the Democrats elect to stay this course of focusing on any possible which way to hurt Trump when he's no longer even in office, rather than lead the country, it will help the GOP in the coming years.

A fact remains though: a majority of Senators found Trump guilty.

Not sure what your point is telling me that, since I've been very clear that I do think Trump was guilty of inciting that riot.

Maybe not the required super-majority, but still a majority. Don’t see much reason to brag about it.

Not sure exactly where I was bragging about anything. I keep telling you, that's the difference between you and me. You take American politics personally, not sure why. I don't. I'll probably forever be the 30yo DC operator at heart but that means I'll always view politics objectively as, mostly, just a job. As I've said many times, the first rule I always taught my junior staffers: don't ever make politics personal, because the second you do you're useless here.

When you win, you take a night to congratulate your team and then move on to the next race. When you lose, you congratulate your team for their work, then move on to the next race and hopefully figure out what you did wrong last time.

You don't cry, and whine, point fingers, try to shift blame, howl excuses and dwell on the past (e.g., Hillary). The Democrats barely won 2020 and not by anything they did--they won the WH and Senate back because Donald Trump was an offensive, ridiculous asshole that didn't take COVID seriously when he should have. But did Democrats really WIN win?

Today they have a demented old man as their standard-bearer who can barely string together two sentences or stay awake long enough for intel briefings. Waiting in the wings to take his seat is an awful, universally-hated twat that advanced in life by spreading her legs and even her own staff (and father) can't stand being around. Democrats hold a razor thin margin in the House and Senate, and that could very well change if they continue on this nonsensical course. The vast majority of Americans don't give a shit about anything but getting vaccinated and getting back to normal, and yet the Democrats spent the last five weeks focused solely on trying to convict a guy who isn't even in office anymore. And it doesn't look like they have any plans to change course any time soon.

As a mid-term campaign staffer, that's not a position I'd like to be in.

:D
I am happy, and quite confident it will ultimately work in the GOP's favor. Enough to win back the House majority in 2022? I don't think so. Enough to win the WH in 2024? Too early to make that prediction. But if the Democrats elect to stay this course of focusing on any possible which way to hurt Trump when he's no longer even in office, rather than lead the country, it will help the GOP in the coming years.

Not sure what your point is telling me that, since I've been very clear that I do think Trump was guilty of inciting that riot.

Not sure exactly where I was bragging about anything. I keep telling you, that's the difference between you and me. You take American politics personally, not sure why. I don't. I'll probably forever be the 30yo DC operator at heart but that means I'll always view politics objectively as, mostly, just a job. As I've said many times, the first rule I always taught my junior staffers: don't ever make politics personal, because the second you do you're useless here.

When you win, you take a night to congratulate your team and then move on to the next race. When you lose, you congratulate your team for their work, then move on to the next race and hopefully figure out what you did wrong last time.

You don't cry, and whine, point fingers, try to shift blame, howl excuses and dwell on the past (e.g., Hillary). The Democrats barely won 2020 and not by anything they did--they won the WH and Senate back because Donald Trump was an offensive, ridiculous asshole that didn't take COVID seriously when he should have. But did Democrats really WIN win?

Today they have a demented old man as their standard-bearer who can barely string together two sentences or stay awake long enough for intel briefings. Waiting in the wings to take his seat is an awful, universally-hated twat that advanced in life by spreading her legs and even her own staff (and father) can't stand being around. Democrats hold a razor thin margin in the House and Senate, and that could very well change if they continue on this nonsensical course. The vast majority of Americans don't give a shit about anything but getting vaccinated and getting back to normal, and yet the Democrats spent the last five weeks focused solely on trying to convict a guy who isn't even in office anymore. And it doesn't look like they have any plans to change course any time soon.

As a mid-term campaign staffer, that's not a position I'd like to be in.

ok the « not bragging about it » was vs Trump not you. You mentioned he would brag about being acquitted. i was just making the point it’s still a majority guilty verdict. To which you agree. But the trial should not have happened. Against a guy you voted for. While supporting Lincoln Project. And thinking he’s an asshole... Go figure the complex meanders of Keihan’s brain :D

i loved the « when you lose you don’t cry and whine, point fingers, try to shift blame » thing though. Totally agree with that ;)

the rest is just standard Fox-style talking points against Biden and Harris you repeated countless times here. Funny that he seemed quite articulate during the debates and the oath though

Last edited:
Trump was guilty of inciting the riot of Jan 6th and if you don't think so you surely don't think. :p

Reactions: SugoiBoy
Trump was guilty of inciting the riot of Jan 6th and if you don't think so you surely don't think. :p
I must admit now. Sometimes I felt a little jealous. In France we’ve had relatively bland presidents for decades now. I’d like to see a french Trumpy saying « we fell in love » about Kim Jong Un. Or drawing a hurricane path with a sharpie. Or leaving with a grand finale like a mob attack on the Louvre or sthg like that. If only for a week. Ok, 3 days. Enough . But still...

Sometimes I felt a little jealous. In France we’ve had relatively bland presidents for decades now. I’d like to see .... a mob attack on the Louvre or sthg like that.

You had your storming of the Bastille, didn't you.Like the Capitol, the Bastille represented the Establishment, the Swamp. But unlike the wimps in the Capitol, you succeeded. Chapeau.

You had your storming of the Bastille, didn't you.Like the Capitol, the Bastille represented the Establishment, the Swamp. But unlike the wimps in the Capitol, you succeeded. Chapeau.

errr no, the Bastille represented a symbol of the absolute monarchy. The Capitol is pretty much the opposite of that. If anything the mob wanted some kind of Trumpian monarchy and no more democracy.

Funny that he seemed quite articulate during the debates and the oath though

And he's certainly still just as articulate today, as reported by Yahoo News on his recent CNN townhall interview. Seems like poor Slow Joe is mixing up the talking points he's being spoonfed.

Biden Claims ‘We Didn’t Have’ a COVID Vaccine When He Took Office

Pretty bad when the editors at Yahoo are willing to publish this. He's also been fucking up his quoted promises regarding vaccine numbers and school re-openings, to the extent that Jen Psaki, his new Press Secretary, is constantly having to do damage control and retract all the dumb shit he's saying in interviews that aren't carefully scripted and controlled by his media team.

Like I said, a demented old man.

And he's certainly still just as articulate today, as reported by Yahoo News on his recent CNN townhall interview. Seems like poor Slow Joe is mixing up the talking points he's being spoonfed.

Biden Claims ‘We Didn’t Have’ a COVID Vaccine When He Took Office

Pretty bad when the editors at Yahoo are willing to publish this. He's also been fucking up his quoted promises regarding vaccine numbers and school re-openings, to the extent that Jen Psaki, his new Press Secretary, is constantly having to do damage control and retract all the dumb shit he's saying in interviews that aren't carefully scripted and controlled by his media team.

Like I said, a demented old man.

Yeah... i preferred the guy who said Covid was first a Democrats’ hoax, then just like the flu, then would disappear in Spring 2020, then could be cured with hydroxychloroquine or bleach or the Sun or whatever, then for about 6 months said the vaccine would be ready within the next month etc... This guy was much less demented and way more honest :D

Yeah... i preferred the guy who said Covid was first a Democrats’ hoax, then just like the flu, then would disappear in Spring 2020, then could be cured with hydroxychloroquine or bleach or the Sun or whatever, then for about 6 months said the vaccine would be ready within the next month etc... This guy was much less demented and way more honest :D

Well, Trump paid the price for spouting his bullshit. Biden, I suspect he won't last in office long enough to pay any political price if there is one coming. It's not like he's running for office ever again. Even by the time he's carted off to a retirement home, HOPEFULLY, the country will be well on its way to herd immunity or even past that so it'll be a moot point.

But it has been somewhat comical watching his own competing statements. First it was "100 MILLION DOSES IN 100 DAYS!" then last week he changed that to "200 MILLION DOSES BY SUMMER!" and then "EVERY AMERICAN WHO WANTS A SHOT CAN GET ONE BY MARCH!" (that one caused significant panic among his staff) and then maybe yesterday I heard him rambling on about "600 MILLION DOSES THIS YEAR!!" Each time, his staff or Jen Psaki had to walk back his statements and "clarify" what he actually meant.

Personally, I don't care what sort of senile shit comes out of his mouth. As long as he's delegated responsibility for the vaccine distribution to a competent person and the shipments keep increasing I'm more than happy. Besides, I highly suspect his CoS or cabinet is already running the show while he's napping or sent back to the WH to knit mittens or do coloring books so as long as he's got a sharp staff that doesn't let Kamala anywhere near the operational controls then things should be fine. Vaccinations are increasing, infections and hospitalizations are decreasing and we might actually get a taste of true normalcy by summer.

I’m not buying any of the media hype about a looming Republican “civil war.” The debate has already been decided — and the majority has picked Trump. I’ll believe if it actually happens in 2022, which is unlikely.

I’m not buying any of the media hype about a looming Republican “civil war.” The debate has already been decided — and the majority has picked Trump. I’ll believe if it actually happens in 2022, which is unlikely.

i’m not so sure. His behavior after the election just reinforced the die-hard base but scared many reasonable Republicans. If he had taken his loss like a man and graciously exited , 100% sure he could have done a successful come back later. But now that the shitstorm happened. Not so sure.

Reactions: Keihan
Status
Not open for further replies.