The Next US President is....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I would never say that but here, frankly, there should be some limits to Brit-bashing!
Nah. Any diplomat who is that sloppy with opsec deserves to be publicly mocked. Put that kind f thing in a cable and odds are 100% it is going to get leaked to the press. Wouldn't put it past one of em to have done so on purpose. Either way dumbass doesn't deserve his job.

I don't even bother watching the news anymore. It's just too aggravating and depressing. I just watch the intro and outros on Real Time w/ Bill Maher. Puts a comical spin on things.

The dems didn't learn their lesson from the ass beating they received at the hands of Trump last time so I wouldn't be surprised at all if we get another 4 years of Orange Crush in the White House.

Well in my case I CAN’T vote for them anyway so let me laugh at least... In fact I don’t want the show to stop , heck I would even love to see Ivanka succeed him

Am I the only one who remembers when Ivanka did that photo spread in, I believe, Maxim? Probably a decade or more ago? Holy dogshit, I think I beat off to those pages at least a dozen times.

A friend of mine actually met her out in public once. He says she's actually a very, very nice woman.

Nah. Any diplomat who is that sloppy with opsec deserves to be publicly mocked. Put that kind f thing in a cable and odds are 100% it is going to get leaked to the press. Wouldn't put it past one of em to have done so on purpose. Either way dumbass doesn't deserve his job.
Well Americans had a similar scandal in the past too if I remember well, and when they apologized for the leaks a foreign official (maybe British :D) replied « you should see what we write about YOU in our cables! »
The only solution is some kind of extra coding I guess.
Like « great leader » really means « complete moron », « smart decision » is in fact « total screw-up » and so on.
And the equivalences should not be written anywhere.

I used to work in a firm (now disappeared) where if Internal Audit mentioned someone is « jovial » in a report, it really meant alcoholic. :)

Come on America! It should not be that hard to produce a President which is not a laughing stock. But if it’s what you guys like , then bring it on!
Just one thing : don’t ever belittle the French again for our (admittedly not great) WW2 record if you are such a fan of a 5-times draft dodger for « bone spurs ». Your grand-parents were really the great generation. We are forever grateful to THEM. But don’t assume it’s automatically deserved for their descendents.

McCain was a true American hero. The fact that despite being a Republican he could not stand that guy (and its reciprocal) should speak volumes to the true patriots .

An organization I worked with partnered with Senator McCain a few years back to make a tribute video for one of his old POW friends from the Hanoi Hilton, and boy oh boy, he was definitely the consummate sailor. His favorite way to address his old war buddies was, "GOD DAMNIT, ________, YOU FUCKIN' SONOFABITCH!!" And hearing stories about him from his friends, particularly about their time spent locked up in Vietnam, I don't think they make stand-up guys like that anymore.

I think the short-fuse and temper that made McCain famous and fun as shit was also his biggest weakness. He was a very emotional person, quick to fight and never forgave. Not that I blame him for his feud with Trump, but a good politician would've taken the high road and made amends. That said, I think it's utterly ridiculous when Trump goes around to veterans' rallies, hugging flags and droning on about how much he loves them, after he used his father's money and connections to dodge the draft and went on record mocking McCain for getting captured during Vietnam...and even more ridiculous when actual combat vets come out to worship him.

But, again, that goes to Trump's abilities as a master showman, and his is one. He is marketing genius and brilliant performer. As far as performance, I'm generally quite pleased with what he's done so far, but none of us should ever be fooled. The only thing Trump truly cares about is Trump.

An organization I worked with partnered with Senator McCain a few years back to make a tribute video for one of his old POW friends from the Hanoi Hilton, and boy oh boy, he was definitely the consummate sailor. His favorite way to address his old war buddies was, "GOD DAMNIT, ________, YOU FUCKIN' SONOFABITCH!!" And hearing stories about him from his friends, particularly about their time spent locked up in Vietnam, I don't think they make stand-up guys like that anymore.

I think the short-fuse and temper that made McCain famous and fun as shit was also his biggest weakness. He was a very emotional person, quick to fight and never forgave. Not that I blame him for his feud with Trump, but a good politician would've taken the high road and made amends. That said, I think it's utterly ridiculous when Trump goes around to veterans' rallies, hugging flags and droning on about how much he loves them, after he used his father's money and connections to dodge the draft and went on record mocking McCain for getting captured during Vietnam...and even more ridiculous when actual combat vets come out to worship him.

But, again, that goes to Trump's abilities as a master showman, and his is one. He is marketing genius and brilliant performer. As far as performance, I'm generally quite pleased with what he's done so far, but none of us should ever be fooled. The only thing Trump truly cares about is Trump.

« short-fuse and temper that made McCain famous and fun as shit was also his biggest weakness. He was a very emotional person, quick to fight and never forgave »

Funny thing is that you could replace McCain by Trump in this sentence it would still be correct! :D

Reactions: Keihan Chikan
« short-fuse and temper that made McCain famous and fun as shit was also his biggest weakness. He was a very emotional person, quick to fight and never forgave »

Funny thing is that you could replace McCain by Trump in this sentence it would still be correct! :D

That's actually true. I know a lot of people who've worked with Trump prior to his becoming a politician, and he's reportedly one of the 1) most fun and 2) most vindictive people they ever met.

Am I the only one who remembers when Ivanka did that photo spread in, I believe, Maxim? Probably a decade or more ago? Holy dogshit, I think I beat off to those pages at least a dozen times.

A friend of mine actually met her out in public once. He says she's actually a very, very nice woman.

Not sure about Maxim but she used to be a model and some pics of that period are hilarious....

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/photos/2017/10/ivanka-trump-modeling-years

Of trump is reelected doesn't it mean he has done a good job?

Of trump is reelected doesn't it mean he has done a good job?
Maybe, but then in the process he probably changed the definition of what a « good job » is for a head of state. There is still also this issue of being elected with less votes than his opponent , which in a probably stupidly traditional definition of democracy doesnt sound quite right to me. Anyway many things can still happen till 2020

Well that's the US election system. The rules are the same for every one.

Well that's the US election system. The rules are the same for every one.
Well apparently not if you are a citizen in California vs one in Florida, your vote doesn’t have the same « value » in the end... but anyway I gave up trying to understand. We have a simpler system to elect presidents in my little backward country :)

Reactions: Negi77
Trump is not so "for the riches" as many of them now hate him for his introduction of SALT deduction cap and resulting tax increases. Despite lots of dramas, oftentimes comical and disastrous, the Trump administration still has some brains. I think he is going to be reelected, and the second term can be catastrophic as Ivanka, Jared and Stephen have even more say in the admin.

There is still also this issue of being elected with less votes than his opponent

Which is exactly the same thing what happened to Obama in the 2008 Democratic primary. Funny how nobody seems to have a beef with that, ain't it?

Is that because it was an agreed upon process that everyone knew before joining the race or because he is the cool kid in the block everyone likes, I let you decide.

Reactions: Mr Cat
Which is exactly the same thing what happened to Obama in the 2008 Democratic primary. Funny how nobody seems to have a beef with that, ain't it?

Is that because it was an agreed upon process that everyone knew before joining the race or because he is the cool kid in the block everyone likes, I let you decide.

No its also unfair for whomever was his opponent. But imo there is a bit of difference between how a party decides , which is their own private affair (after all they could do this with a wrestling or bowling game) and how the whole country decides.

...Not this one I hope! :eek:

65D9B27E-4614-4C4D-B21A-2267255C2762.png
Looks like she still hadn't lost the babyfat in her face yet. I believe I'm just a little older than her so she must've been in her mid teens in most of those photos.

But I still would've rubbed one out to those photos in 1998.

No its also unfair for whomever was his opponent. But imo there is a bit of difference between how a party decides , which is their own private affair (after all they could do this with a wrestling or bowling game) and how the whole country decides.

Following your train of thought isn't it the country's own affair how they decide their representatives? Of course the funny point, in not at all funny way, is nobody had any complaints about the system before Trump won.

And the same system has been in place since early 1800's and the loser of the popular vote has been elected to be the president four times before him.

So at least they cannot claim nobody knew this could happen or that they didn't have any time to fix the broken system.

Following your train of thought isn't it the country's own affair how they decide their representatives? Of course the funny point, in not at all funny way, is nobody had any complaints about the system before Trump won.

And the same system has been in place since early 1800's and the loser of the popular vote has been elected to be the president four times before him.

So at least they cannot claim nobody knew this could happen or that they didn't have any time to fix the broken system.

There were already complaints with Bush vs Gore if I remember well. You can say hindsight is easy but if Gore had won maybe the disastrous second gulf war (based on lies) would have been avoided.

Anyway you’re right, their system, not for a frenchy in Tokyo to comment on it. If in the 21st century they still enjoy all the caucusing and super-delegating and gerrymandering and electoral-colleging and whatever other odd rules that “everybody know in advance” (do they, really?) , Fine. I still prefer our stupidly simple system where , irrespective of where a citizen is located , his/her vote will have the same impact to elect the President as anybody else.

Reactions: Negi77

Obama seems to have disappeared these days. Anyway, he was one of the key reasons for Trump’s victory. He had so much good will directed towards him but achieved the least of any post-war President. So, his endorsement of Mrs. Clinton backfired.

A good assessment of Obama’s legacy is contained in the link below. The Independent is a VERY liberal newspaper so it illustrates what a disgrace he was as a President.

https://www.google.co.jp/amp/s/www....l-assad-jimmy-carter-legacy-a7684661.html?amp

Obama seems to have disappeared these days. Anyway, he was one of the key reasons for Trump’s victory. He had so much good will directed towards him but achieved the least of any post-war President. So, his endorsement of Mrs. Clinton backfired.

A good assessment of Obama’s legacy is contained in the link below. The Independent is a VERY liberal newspaper so it illustrates what a disgrace he was as a President.

https://www.google.co.jp/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/voices/barack-obama-peace-prize-syria-chemical-weapons-bashar-al-assad-jimmy-carter-legacy-a7684661.html?amp

Well... we tend to forget easily the crisis he inherited when he came to power. Seems to me the US and the world were in better shape 8 years later but of course he’s not the only and not even primary responsible I guess. Unlike Trump for which anything great and good , real or not-so-real, is his own doing

Status
Not open for further replies.