The Next US President is....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it does matter. You still want to avoid the complete nutjobs who would screw things up. But not hoping too much from the guys you vote for , like they are some kind of messiah or prophet. They do a job, they don’t do miracles.

How does voting matter for President? The electoral college decides who will be President. The voters are just a waste of time. All you can do is hope the electoral college votes for the one that you want to be President. The people's vote doesn't matter contrary to what the media makes you think. At least that goes for the USA. You can Google about the electoral college and you'll see our votes don't matter. It's all make believe.

How does voting matter for President? The electoral college decides who will be President. The voters are just a waste of time. All you can do is hope the electoral college votes for the one that you want to be President. The people's vote doesn't matter contrary to what the media makes you think. At least that goes for the USA. You can Google about the electoral college and you'll see our votes don't matter. It's all make believe.
Well as I mentioned before I still struggle to see the logic in the U.S system because at the end of the day it looks like only 5 or 6 states really matter. And the vote of a guy in Wyoming is 4x more important than a guy in California. Anyway its still marginally better than the Kims system in North Korea, I hope. At least your candidates are grilled and scrutinized for so long that it’s hard for them to pretend they’re someone else.

Well as I mentioned before I still struggle to see the logic in the U.S system because at the end of the day it looks like only 5 or 6 states really matter. And the vote of a guy in Wyoming is 4x more important than a guy in California. Anyway its still marginally better than the Kims system in North Korea, I hope. At least your candidates are grilled and inspected for so long that it’s hard for them to pretend they’re someone else.

The bigger states get the most electoral votes. California gets the most electoral votes for a state if I remember. New York and Texas are also up there.

Well as I mentioned before I still struggle to see the logic in the U.S system because at the end of the day it looks like only 5 or 6 states really matter. And the vote of a guy in Wyoming is 4x more important than a guy in California. Anyway its still marginally better than the Kims system in North Korea, I hope. At least your candidates are grilled and scrutinized for so long that it’s hard for them to pretend they’re someone else.

Anyway, I don't vote because it doesn't matter. Which ever side wins, their parties will dictate what the President will do and if the other side disagrees, then it's a stalemate and nothing ever happens. With all of the laws, etc, the President has limited control on many things as Congress can block things. It's to keep the President from going too far to the left or right.

Reactions: Frenchy
The bigger states get the most electoral votes. California gets the most electoral votes for a state if I remember. New York and Texas are also up there.
True but if you look at their population only they should have even more college electors , whatever its called.

I disagree, Warren seems intelligent and principled- i liked her anhiliation of the Wells Fargo CEO.

However, does it matter? You sound like you know a lot about this subject so this is a genuine question; what % of voters actually change their mind based on a candidate’s performance in a debate? Im guessing 30 years ago when there was (relitavely) rational intelligent debate it couldve been 5-10%, but now? When do people ever change their mind about anything nowadays?

Statistically, next to none. Less than 5%, but that number changes every year thanks to the dynamic nature of social media. However, what we learned from Trump and the 2016 election is that if a candidate can go into a debate and turn the opposition into a joke by turning the entire debate/event into a fucking circus, thanks to the soundbites and memes and reposts on FB and Twitter, then he/she can possibly rile up non-traditional constituents who otherwise wouldn't bother to vote. That was the genius of the Trump campaign. His populist rhetoric, his bombastic and egomaniacal behavior and messaging and outright command of the media turned out record numbers of white, lower-to-middle class voters, largely from union and labor backgrounds who had never voted in their lives, or if they had, they traditionally voted Democrat. That's how he won.

While Hillary was ignoring the midwest and droning on about immigrant rights on the coasts, Trump was in the heartland stoking fears and emotions and promising people the America they knew as kids. It was outright fucking masterful. And if you look at the current Democratic line-up, it's painfully obvious that they didn't learn their lesson. Rather than embrace a moderate, populist tone and the only guy who can go toe-to-toe on a stage with Trump (and that's Joe Biden) the Bernie crazies and snowflake commies have committed all of their resources toward tearing Joe down. They will sink themselves.

Again, Warren is a pretty talented politician but Trump is an entirely different phenomenon. I predict he will actually make her cry on the debate stage, if not at least look like a thin-skinned temperamental fool...and he's going to bully her into non-viability.

I'm looking forward to the show.

Last edited:
Reactions: MossBoss
True but if you look at their population only they should have even more college electors , whatever its called.

This might help you. They mention a key part in there saying as long as you win the bigger states, you don't need a single vote from the others to win. This is why I laugh when people talk about voting like it matters. It's brainwashed into people to believe it's true. Like they also said, 270 is the number that matter. Not whatever million votes.

This might help you. They mention a key part in there saying as long as you win the bigger states, you don't need a single vote from the others to win. This is why I laugh when people talk about voting like it matters. It's brainwashed into people to believe it's true. Like they also said, 270 is the number that matter. Not whatever million votes.

Yes so just abolish this electoral college nonsense! :)
(Or at least stop the “winner takes all” system in each state)

Yes so just abolish this electoral college nonsense! :)
(Or at least stop the “winner takes all” system in each state)

That will never happen. It's all a numbers game and winning by 1 point or 30 points is still a win so it doesn't matter. The day the votes actually matter, that's when I'll vote. Otherwise, good luck and hope everything turns out ok.

That will never happen. It's all a numbers game and winning by 1 point or 30 points is still a win so it doesn't matter. The day the votes actually matter, that's when I'll vote. Otherwise, good luck and hope everything turns out ok.
You guys have this system since when? 1800 give or take a few years?
In that period we toyed with 2 emperors, 3 kings, 4 republics and even a pro-Nazi puppet regime. Not to say the U.S should do the same of course :D but there must be some leeway to change the system a bit ... its funny how sometimes the (still) most advanced country on earth seems stuck in its old ways politically speaking... can’t quite get that

can’t quite get that

They probably didn't get the fax about the new developments.

Then again can anyone tell one example of an election their vote actually mattered? I mean, I vote every time I am asked and never has the results been any different than if I didn't vote.

Except once, our IPSC club voted if we should get .38 die set for our reloading press. I voted yes though I didn't care whatever way it goes and because of me we bought them.

They were used twice before the only guy to have that pistol sold his away and now they have been in the closet for two decades.

Then again can anyone tell one example of an election their vote actually mattered? I mean, I vote every time I am asked and never has the results been any different than if I didn't vote.

Except once, our IPSC club voted if we should get .38 die set for our reloading press. I voted yes though I didn't care whatever way it goes and because of me we bought them.

They were used twice before the only guy to have that pistol sold his away and now they have been in the closet for two decades.

You’re way too self-centered Mikey. You think it was because of you but it was equally because of any other guy who voted the same. :D
The problem is not so much that Mr X or Y vote would make the difference or not (although in the case of Bush-Gore Florida recount it was very close to this).
The problem is that if the system is so rigged that even the whole Republican population of California or Dem population of Alabama has no chance to be heard and candidates don’t even bother to campaign there, it’s really weird.

Reactions: MikeH
You’re way too self-centered Mikey. You think it was because of you but it was equally because of any other guy who voted the same. :D

And again you couldn't be more wrong. As it happens I was the only guy who voted at all. :eek::D

The problem is that if the system is so rigged that even the whole Republican population of California or Dem population of Alabama has no chance to be heard and candidates don’t even bother to campaign there, it’s really weird.

Sounds totally reasonable to me. At least I have never met anyone from California or Alabama I would like to give any say in any elections.

And again you couldn't be more wrong. As it happens I was the only guy who voted at all. :eek::D

Sounds totally reasonable to me. At least I have never met anyone from California or Alabama I would like to give any say in any elections.

Ah ah well a vote is not needed then.

Ok then they are much better off letting Florida (of all states...) decide for the others :)

History will remember Barack Obama as probably the most useless president

To his credit he did increase drone strikes and gave the go order on OBL.

What Jimmy Carter has achieved post-presidency is nothing short of amazing, and he has proven to be one of the most effective global ambassadors our country has ever had

Building houses for the poor: very cool. Acting on Soviet anti-zionist propaganda? Stupid as a bag of hammers. Cant think of any other global stuff he's done since his term in office.

However one thing people forget that while he was POTUS he was largely behind the program for desperately needed modernization of the US Navy.

Reactions: Keihan Chikan

Nothing wrong with a classic caliber! My very first handgun was a .38 snub, which I carried in a leather IWB holster, pointed at my genitals about 12hrs a day. One of my favorite memories from college was sitting in a boring shitty discussion group session, listening to the fleabag hippies rail against "lax concealed carry laws" and the need to ban hollow point ammunition, oblivious to the fact that the unassuming Asian guy they were always nice to because I was the token minority in the group had a carry license and five rounds of 110grn Hydrashok JHP just under his t-shirt.

Nothing wrong with a classic caliber! My very first handgun was a .38 snub, which I carried in a leather IWB holster, pointed at my genitals about 12hrs a day. One of my favorite memories from college was sitting in a boring shitty discussion group session, listening to the fleabag hippies rail against "lax concealed carry laws" and the need to ban hollow point ammunition, oblivious to the fact that the unassuming Asian guy they were always nice to because I was the token minority in the group had a carry license and five rounds of 110grn Hydrashok JHP just under his t-shirt.
My theory about gun control laws is that pro gun people think mostly about themselves. They think that they are smart and moral enough to control their weapon at all times and use it only when they are morally justified. Pro gun control folks think about the people around them. They see loads of incompetent and immoral people who should never be near a firearm. So my question to you is twofold, if the gun in your pants went off by some freak accident and you accidentally shot either:

A. Your balls off
B. A fleabag hippie resulting in your long term incarceration and daily sodimization

would that change you view on firearms?

My theory about gun control laws is that pro gun people think mostly about themselves. They think that they are smart and moral enough to control their weapon at all times and use it only when they are morally justified. Pro gun control folks think about the people around them. They see loads of incompetent and immoral people who should never be near a firearm. So my question to you is twofold, if the gun in your pants went off by some freak accident and you accidentally shot either:

A. Your balls off
B. A fleabag hippie resulting in your long term incarceration and daily sodimization

would that change you view on firearms?

My viewpoint is that the states that are anti-gun are the states that have the most gun problems :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: MikeH
There are more privately owned guns in the US than people. Whatever the government does, these 400 million guns won’t disappear overnight. Banning guns will help the illegal arms traders with their profits. The number of gun deaths won’t be significantly decreased.

Reactions: MikeH and Frenchy
My viewpoint is that the states that are anti-gun are the states that have the most gun problems :ROFLMAO:
The States with the most ‘problems’ are states with large cities that have large populations of African American males between the age of 19 and 25 who are involved in the meth, crack and/or heroin trade. These guys tend to shoot each other in the head at an alarming rate. If you remove this demographic from the stats, the US has 1,000 times less gun violence. But even with the drug dealers out of the stats, the US still has too much gun violence. They say Canada has any many guns but not nearly as much gun violence. I wonder why. Are Americans just violent people? Could be.

There are more privately owned guns in the US than people. Whatever the government does, these 400 million guns won’t disappear overnight. Banning guns will help the illegal arms traders with their profits. The number of gun deaths won’t be significantly decreased.
True. But that is not a valid reason to not support gun law reform.

Status
Not open for further replies.