The power of a Michelin star for Ramen - Nakiryu

RIDER 00

TAG Member
Reaction score
Just got back from the ramen shop, Nakiryu, in Shin-Otsuka. They have one Michelin star for their Dan Dan (or Tan Tan) noodles.

What's crazy is that the taste isn't even mind blowing, but 90% of the people in line are tourists. Today's a Monday and the shop opens at 11:30, but I got to the place at 10:30 and there were already 3 people there. This was a smart move because the shop only has 10 seats and two large Chinese families came right after me. By the time the shop opened, 50 people were in line.

All I can say is, WTF!? I know google maps has made it easier for foreigners to find their way around Tokyo, but how or why this many foreigners are gathering in Shin-Otsuka on a weekday for "pretty good" noodles is beyond me. My partner had the salt ramen with sour plum, and it was average at best. Like I have always said, it's better to do your own research and find what the locals truly crave everyday, like fatty pork ramen or tsukemen.

So long as there are lines at this place, I will not be going back. My advice is to go to the nearby original Taishoken and have a large bowl of the tsukemen that started the craze in Tokyo.

Last edited:
I went here too. The bs tourists are definately ruining it. Did you order the special tan tan men with 山椒? ie Japanese pepper? That makes it much better.

But overall, would not recommend based on the waiting time required. Theres a much better ramen place (Snapper based soup, legit) that has Michelin Bib Gourmand recommendation in Ikebukuro instead, where only locals go and the lines are usually 20 mins top.

https://gm.gnavi.co.jp/shop/0117021402/

been here too. the ramen was pleasant but definitely not the best, but the side dishes were excellent. I've definitely had better tan tan. I think the michelin star puts more emphasis on process of making the food and the quality of ingredients. For ~1000 yen its excelllent quality ramen, but for 2.5 hours not so much.
I may return, just for the experience. I also added Mendokoroshinohara to my list

my favourite tan tan in japan (im no ramen expert though): https://tabelog.com/en/tokyo/A1303/A130301/13001715/

been here too. the ramen was pleasant but definitely not the best, but the side dishes were excellent. I've definitely had better tan tan. I think the michelin star puts more emphasis on process of making the food and the quality of ingredients. For ~1000 yen its excelllent quality ramen, but for 2.5 hours not so much.
I may return, just for the experience. I also added Mendokoroshinohara to my list

my favourite tan tan in japan (im no ramen expert though): https://tabelog.com/en/tokyo/A1303/A130301/13001715/

I went to Asuka for the Paiko Tan Tan Noodles many many years ago and have always been meaning to go back. It's great, but just a tad too salty in my opinion. Still better than Nakiryu, though.

For me, I enjoy the processed taste you get from the Nakau (なか卯) beef bowl chain shop's Tan Tan Udon. The taste of their broth is the essence of true Tan Tan Noodes, in my opinion. Of course, what you can get a great places in China are 200% better than anything in Japan.

I went here too. The bs tourists are definately ruining it. Did you order the special tan tan men with 山椒? ie Japanese pepper? That makes it much better.

But overall, would not recommend based on the waiting time required. Theres a much better ramen place (Snapper based soup, legit) that has Michelin Bib Gourmand recommendation in Ikebukuro instead, where only locals go and the lines are usually 20 mins top.

https://gm.gnavi.co.jp/shop/0117021402/

It was extremely hot on Monday so I went with the Tan Tan tsukemen. I added in the spicy pepper powder they had on the table and it gave the taste a little more depth, but it as still just slightly above average.

There's a new ramen shop in the Gogokuji region that's getting rave fans and it has a higher ranking than Nakiryu --- MENSHO

http://menya-shono.com/mensho/menu/

They make taidashi ramen (red snapper soup) with homemade noodles and their rice bowl dishes are great. I had the duck rice last time and all the ladies around me were raving about it.

Would not be surprised if the place is ruined by Michelin too, so I'd recommend anyone interested to go there before that happens. It opens at 11:00 on the weekends and I showed up at 10:40 and was first in line. It will fill up quickly though, and many of the customers are ladies.

Word spread fairly quickly as soon as the place got that Michelin star, so I'm not surprised regarding the number of tourists you see there. There's another place with Michelin star but the name escapes me at the moment. Never been to either places though since I'm terrible with mornings and don't want to bother going early to line up, but from your observations it seems it isn't as busy anymore (or at least not as early).

Reactions: hibikii
It was extremely hot on Monday so I went with the Tan Tan tsukemen. I added in the spicy pepper powder they had on the table and it gave the taste a little more depth, but it as still just slightly above average.

There's a new ramen shop in the Gogokuji region that's getting rave fans and it has a higher ranking than Nakiryu --- MENSHO

http://menya-shono.com/mensho/menu/

They make taidashi ramen (red snapper soup) with homemade noodles and their rice bowl dishes are great. I had the duck rice last time and all the ladies around me were raving about it.

Would not be surprised if the place is ruined by Michelin too, so I'd recommend anyone interested to go there before that happens. It opens at 11:00 on the weekends and I showed up at 10:40 and was first in line. It will fill up quickly though, and many of the customers are ladies.

cheers for the mensho recommendation. looks good. gonna go try it out this weekend!

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
cheers for the mensho recommendation. looks good. gonna go try it out this weekend!

I'm honored! If you like salt or seafood broth at all, you'll be sure to enjoy it.

Just take care to show up a little early if you are targeting to get there when it opens.

I would also recommend getting the duck rice bowl (鴨丼) as a side dish.
It's the most popular dish along with the ramen.

Yeah there are places that are flat out refusing Michelin from rating them to avoid flocks of tourists because they want their restaurant to be about the food rather than the glitz of a fancy eating score. I will say that I’ve dined a few Michelin places in Tokyo and can easily say that ratings are great and the food as the restaurants are good but you can probably get food that tastes just as good for much cheaper at family owned places

I have been lucky in my life to have enjoyed a Michelin rated experience of several places.

This place with the ambiance of Bastille was fucking over the top. Carcassonne during Bastille as a non French is unreal.

https://www.franck-putelat.com/fr/

The rest I won’t mention. They were good. But eh.

I understand guarding the great culinary places from others. It’s like an amazing provider you don’t want to share him or her. But you want to because they are fucking amazing .,so delicious so creamy yesss

I shared with you my master in Carcassonne please share with me your mistress or master in Tokyo that my wife and I need to experience .

Last edited:
Call me crazy, but I think Afuri has the best ramen. I very biased towards the use of yuzu however, so that could explain that.

Reactions: hibikii
Word spread fairly quickly as soon as the place got that Michelin star, so I'm not surprised regarding the number of tourists you see there. There's another place with Michelin star but the name escapes me at the moment. Never been to either places though since I'm terrible with mornings and don't want to bother going early to line up, but from your observations it seems it isn't as busy anymore (or at least not as early).

Tsuta. 711 sells instant ramen from both of the Michelin star ramen shops and I daresay those bowls taste better than the real deal.

Last edited:
Call me crazy, but I think Afuri has the best ramen. I very biased towards the use of yuzu however, so that could explain that.

Afuri's a solid ramen. It has the "Ie-ke" style with the use of soy sauce and dashi soup, but the yuzu does add a nice refreshing touch. I don't really like they have sold out and become a chain store, though. Especially by targeting tourists in Roppongi and Harajuku.

Tsuta. 711 sells instant ramen from both of the Michelin star ramen shops and I daresay those bowls taste better than the real deal.
Yes, that's the one! I've actually tried the instant ramen from Nakiryu and did enjoy it. Kinda sad to hear you thought that the instant versions were superior, though maybe that just says more about the quality of the instant foods in Japan.