Guest viewing is limited

Too Old to Live in Shibuya?

JPRef90

TAG Member
Reaction score
I have a buddy who is 42, reached a high point in his career and is able to transfer to his company's Tokyo office now. He's fluent/making alot of money and is interested in some of the new apartment buildings right by Shibuya station.

The places are no doubt spacious and luxurious but idk....is 42 too old to live in Shibuya? I suggested Aoyama to him cause he can afford it or even Omotesando but he's been here many times and enjoys all that's happening in Shibuya and wants to live right in the heart of the neighborhood.

So 1. Is there a certain age where living in Shibuya is goofy or does having a super nice apartment override that?
2. If you were rich and 40+, what's the most prestigious neighborhood to live in? Aoyama? Shinjuku high rise? Daikanyama?

I have a buddy who is 42, reached a high point in his career and is able to transfer to his company's Tokyo office now. He's fluent/making alot of money and is interested in some of the new apartment buildings right by Shibuya station.

The places are no doubt spacious and luxurious but idk....is 42 too old to live in Shibuya? I suggested Aoyama to him cause he can afford it or even Omotesando but he's been here many times and enjoys all that's happening in Shibuya and wants to live right in the heart of the neighborhood.

So 1. Is there a certain age where living in Shibuya is goofy or does having a super nice apartment override that?
2. If you were rich and 40+, what's the most prestigious neighborhood to live in? Aoyama? Shinjuku high rise? Daikanyama?

‘making a lot of money’ ‘rich’ these things mean different things to different people.
If your friend is 42 and not his own boss, its unlikely he is what a lot of people would consider ‘rich’.

Shoto is the most up-scale part of shibuya as far as i know. I dont think many people who live there are company employees though.

as for your questions;
1. As a foreigner no, he wont be considered goofy for living anywhere at any age. Nobody will care.
2. I am, i got out of the city a long time ago. If i were single Id live somewhere around ebisu or nakameguro as i think they are the nicest downtown locations for a single 40 year old.

I don't think I've ever heard of such a thing and I've lived here long enough to know the general ideas about the various areas around Tokyo. You can live wherever you want, there's no stigma except maybe if you have an Adachi-ku address. :LOL:

If your friend is 42 and not his own boss, its unlikely he is what a lot of people would consider ‘rich’.
Agreed. If that's all he does, working for a company, he can be comfortable but probably not considered wealthy or rich.

2. I am, i got out of the city a long time ago. If i were single Id live somewhere around ebisu or nakameguro as i think they are the nicest downtown locations for a single 40 year old

Kind of agree and disagree at the same time. I chose to get out of the city center because I got really tired of the vibe and the other foreigners around there living in their bubbles. I'm not overly wealthy but I have more than one income stream, which affords me enough buffer to do what I want without being concerned about how much I'm spending. I just didn't feel it was worth it to live in the trendy areas and opted for a quiet, but still upscale neighborhood that's 10-20 min from each major area on a JR line.

I'm still perplexed by the 'too old to live somewhere' comment...

Here's a reflection - I think 42 is too old to live in a shared/guest house, dorm or live with roommates, doesn't matter where. :ROFLMAO:
(Granted, I see a fair number of Japanese people living in such conditions but their life position is probably limiting them on options. I know at least one Japanese guy who's making ~9m yen/year but lives in a 1K "box" apartment for ~40k/month....)

I’ve never heard of any correlation between age and society’s expectations of where you’re supposed to live. As a gaijin he will be immune to most of these norms anyway. If he can drop about 500k monthly there are some spacious serviced apartments in Roppongi. Is he sure that he can tackle with the Shibuya crowd and noise pollution every single day?

If I was 42 I would probably look into the option of building my own house in Futakotamagawa area where I could raise kids safely and grow some plants. But I’m not a big fan of the city..

I’m older than that and lived for a while next to Kabukicho so no worries , no shame. It even had a « I don’t give a fuck what society thinks » rebellious cachet of sort
your friend will be fine

What new apartment buildings right by Shibuya station? There is a new complex under construction - a massive mixed retail/commercial/residential development - but I have not noticed anything newly constructed by the station. There isn't much residential accommodation near Shibuya station ... and nothing that comes to mind as "prestigious" or "super nice". You need to get further away from the station within Shibuya-ku to find properties that have some element of design/architecture - some wow factor.

To answer your two questions:

1. Nobody is going to think it is goofy ( ...or that your a weirdo/pervert) if you tell them you live near Shibuya station. Shibuya is changing quickly. The "cool" "wacky" Shibuya image has pretty much evaporated. It is very corporate/commercial/retail.....H&M, IKEA, MUJI, Nittori, Tokyu Hands, LOFT, Apple, Disney etc etc

2. "Prestigious" --- in the sense of a location that people want to live in -- take your pick from any number that are listed in annual surveys that you can google up. I don't ever recall seeing "Shibuya station area" in the list. That is probably because it is crowded, noisy, and over-run with tourists....and because there are not many residential buildings. I am often in Shibuya, and like it, but it has never crossed my mind to live near the station.

Kichijoji has been voted the best place to live in Tokyo for years.

1) If you're rich, you live wherever you please, and that includes Shibuya. The question I would ask, however, is if a 42yo would actually want to live smack-dab in the middle of all that chaos? I'm nearly that age, I've lived in my fair share of condos in downtown major U.S. cities, and I couldn't imagine willingly living in the middle of Shibuya. For that matter, I don't even like to go drinking Shibuya. That shit got old once I hit my 30s.

2) If I were fabulously rich and still living in Japan, I'd just pick a nice suburb within 30-60 minutes of downtown Tokyo and build a nice house there, particularly if I was planning on having kids. During all my years in Japan, I always rented in the nearest affordable and not shitty suburb to downtown (Osaka) and that worked fine for me. I certainly wasn't wealthy by any standard (I was actually poor as shit) but I'm perfectly happy slumming it.

As others have pointed out, however, "rich" is a relative term and if your buddy is still working for a company then chances are he's not really "rich" by most conventional standards. To me, "rich" is when you have zero need to rent, take out a mortgage or finance anything. Around here, the median home price is about $800k USD. A nice home goes for $1.5M and up. If you have the cash on hand to purchase a nice home outright and then Uber to the nearest Audi/Porsche dealer to pick up an A5 for yourself and a Cayenne Turbo for the wife every two or three years, yeah...you're pretty comfortably "rich." Not ugly fucking rich like some of my relatives were, who would force people out of their homes and buy entire downtown blocks so they could develop high-rise condos to sell off to foreign buyers, but "rich" to me means having the cash on hand to never have to beg a bank officer for a loan.

I'm going to assume your friend is pulling low six figures and that's a great place to be, especially considering the hardships most are going through right now, but that also isn't a tax bracket where you should piss away three, four or even five grand a month just for the bragging rights of "living in Shibuya." I mean, it can be done...but that's what MC Hammer thought. Honestly, it sounds like your friend is suffering from the inevitable mid-life-crisis known to most males of that age, single and without kids. Tell him to just rent in the safe suburbs, lease an SL550 and utilize the Shibuya love hotels for any bimbos the car successfully lures.

The new high-rise by the NHK looks nice, but it's not that close to Shibuya station.

1. No. Originally Shibuya was a residential area, and you can still find old detached houses in the neighborhood. While the area was developed as a transport hub, it was also a garment district up until the 80s. You can still find reminiscent of those days, small textile shops, on your way to LHs. I have my impression that Shibuya is for the matured while younger generations flock around Harajuku or Shimokitazawa.

2. Bancho

If I was 42 I would probably look into the option of building my own house in Futakotamagawa area where I could raise kids safely and grow some plants.

The popularity of Futagotama has caught up and the new houses don't have any gardens anymore. Like everywhere else whenever grandma kicks the bucket the kids sell the house to a developer who knocks it down and builds three houses in the lot. Those people who want to have a garden have to nowadays cross the river and join the unwashed herds of Kanagawa. Or be really rich so they can outbid the developers for the grandma's house.

Reactions: Ken1988
I am with those who think that we should live where we feel comfortable and can afford it. Shibuya is not the most distinguished area. Top ranked is Meguro of the 3As (Aoyama, Akasaka and Azabu): 1 in 10 residents claim to be a sacho (president or CEO), followed by Chiyoda and Meguro. On the other hand, if your friend is that rich, the best thing to do is to hire a real estate agent, if possible sexy and willing to please the client anytime. It's what I did a few years ago when I came to Tokyo from Shizuoka.:D

Reactions: Simonka

Had to chuckle....that sound so shallow XD. Who cares about a prestigious neighborhood?......the only reason people look for something prestigious is to show off. That's probably the worst reason to do anything in life. Look for an environment where you feel at home, doesn't matter what people think.

I always liked urban neighborhoods that feel alive....i personally would die of boredome in a upscale neighborhood without any life in the streets. Right next to Shibuya Station would probalby also not be my cup of tea, but I would prefer it to Aoyama any day. Everybody is different.

Reactions: Keihan
I always liked urban neighborhoods that feel alive....i personally would die of boredome in a upscale neighborhood without any life in the streets. Right next to Shibuya Station would probalby also not be my cup of tea, but I would prefer it to Aoyama any day. Everybody is different.

Same here. I can't stand upscale neighborhoods. I'm not very familiar with the areas surrounding Tokyo but back in Osaka, if you were rich and wanted people to know it you bought a house in Ashiya, just outside Kobe. The majority of the people living on the mountain-side of the tracks are CEOs, doctors, etc., and that includes the boss of the Yamaguchi-gumi. A buddy of mine lived there for a few years and I absolutely hated that place. Very few pedestrians out as everyone drives a six-figure European car, next to zero nightlife save for a few uppity bars with 1,500 yen imported beers and bored housewives whose watches and handbags cost more than I made in a year teaching, and anyone you did meet out in public was usually a major asshole.

Stateside, even if I were filthy rich, I'd always live in a middle-class neighborhood, preferably up in the mountains somewhere. I'd buy a parcel on a nice quiet street surrounded by nice quiet families, then build a massive fucking compound on it so everyone on the block knew how rich I was. I'd lounge around my pool or observatory deck all day in a speedo smoking nice cigars, drinking nice wines and being as big of an asshole as possible and the neighbors would be too polite and/or scared to say anything. I suppose that's why fate never made me fabulously wealthy.

Why do some here react so strongly to the person being called rich?
What if he is a senior trader at one of the global energy companies like EDF, RWE and is being transferred to Japan? His annual income (incl. bonuses) could easily be a 7-digits figure in USD without being his own boss.

Reactions: Frenchy
Why do some here react so strongly to the person being called rich?
What if he is a senior trader at one of the global energy companies like EDF, RWE and is being transferred to Japan? His annual income (incl. bonuses) could easily be a 7-digits figure in USD without being his own boss.

Probably just semantics but at least to me, what you just described isn't "rich." I'd call that wealthy. Not rich. Almost twenty years ago, I had a buddy who attended an Ivy League university and was later hired as a trader by Goldman Sachs in Tokyo. I never really asked him how much he made, but other friends of ours suggested that in good years he was clearing over $500k. Adjust for inflation and that's basically what you're talking about. My buddy was certainly not rich. Definitely well-off, and from what I remember he blew almost everything he made on women, alcohol and (when he came home to visit) cocaine. Haven't seen him in a number of years but I hear he got burned out and is working some boring office job and living in the burbs somewhere with a wife and kids.

As for rich, I have two drinking buddies who I consider rich. Both middle-aged scumbag perverts. Both divorced with kids. Both live in normal, boring houses in the suburbs. We get together a couple times a month at another friend's house (at least until last March) with a few other assholes and sit around all night drinking, playing Texas Hold'em and arguing over such dumb shit as which cast member of Full House would be the best fuck. One drives an old Toyota Camry and the other a Hyundai Sonata. You'd never notice either guy in crowd.

However, the first guy...his father was a real estate tycoon who built strip malls and shopping centers, and when his father passed he inherited all of them. I can't even venture a guess as to what the estate was worth but I'm guessing upwards of a half-billion dollars. His entire day consists of going into the office at one of his malls at 7am in shorts, tshirt and sneakers and sitting at his desk for an hour going over the ledgers, then hops in his Camry and drives downtown to get a happy ending at some Thai or Korean massage parlor. The other guy inherited a sizeable fortune from his parents which he used to slowly build what I certainly consider a real estate empire, buying up any medium to large size apartment complex that goes on the market. Last I checked he acquired another two buildings this year before the pandemic hit and probably now owns upwards of 600 units. Average 1BR rental unit in this town is valued at around $250k so you do the math. I don't even think he has an office and just works out of a spare bedroom. I know he generally has meetings at different corporate HQs during the day, which he attends solely for the enjoyment of ridiculing the company's officers and sexually harassing the female staff, but at 4pm on any given day you can find him at the same Korean buy-me-drinkie bar with a 50yo mamasan sitting on his lap, rubbing his crotch and feeding him lukewarm Coors Light. I can't stand the place but, unfortunately, a lot of this town's politicians also enjoy frequenting that bar so people in my position are forced to have a lot of "work meetings" in that shithole.

Point being, these are guys with the cash and credit to buy your neighborhood if they wanted it, but you'd never in a million years guess it by looking at them. Just reaffirms a general rule that I've always found true: the guys who are truly rich, never act like it.

Probably just semantics but at least to me, what you just described isn't "rich." I'd call that wealthy. Not rich. Almost twenty years ago, I had a buddy who attended an Ivy League university and was later hired as a trader by Goldman Sachs in Tokyo. I never really asked him how much he made, but other friends of ours suggested that in good years he was clearing over $500k. Adjust for inflation and that's basically what you're talking about. My buddy was certainly not rich. Definitely well-off, and from what I remember he blew almost everything he made on women, alcohol and (when he came home to visit) cocaine. Haven't seen him in a number of years but I hear he got burned out and is working some boring office job and living in the burbs somewhere with a wife and kids.

As for rich, I have two drinking buddies who I consider rich. Both middle-aged scumbag perverts. Both divorced with kids. Both live in normal, boring houses in the suburbs. We get together a couple times a month at another friend's house (at least until last March) with a few other assholes and sit around all night drinking, playing Texas Hold'em and arguing over such dumb shit as which cast member of Full House would be the best fuck. One drives an old Toyota Camry and the other a Hyundai Sonata. You'd never notice either guy in crowd.

However, the first guy...his father was a real estate tycoon who built strip malls and shopping centers, and when his father passed he inherited all of them. I can't even venture a guess as to what the estate was worth but I'm guessing upwards of a half-billion dollars. His entire day consists of going into the office at one of his malls at 7am in shorts, tshirt and sneakers and sitting at his desk for an hour going over the ledgers, then hops in his Camry and drives downtown to get a happy ending at some Thai or Korean massage parlor. The other guy inherited a sizeable fortune from his parents which he used to slowly build what I certainly consider a real estate empire, buying up any medium to large size apartment complex that goes on the market. Last I checked he acquired another two buildings this year before the pandemic hit and probably now owns upwards of 600 units. Average 1BR rental unit in this town is valued at around $250k so you do the math. I don't even think he has an office and just works out of a spare bedroom. I know he generally has meetings at different corporate HQs during the day, which he attends solely for the enjoyment of ridiculing the company's officers and sexually harassing the female staff, but at 4pm on any given day you can find him at the same Korean buy-me-drinkie bar with a 50yo mamasan sitting on his lap, rubbing his crotch and feeding him lukewarm Coors Light. I can't stand the place but, unfortunately, a lot of this town's politicians also enjoy frequenting that bar so people in my position are forced to have a lot of "work meetings" in that shithole.

Point being, these are guys with the cash and credit to buy your neighborhood if they wanted it, but you'd never in a million years guess it by looking at them. Just reaffirms a general rule that I've always found true: the guys who are truly rich, never act like it.
You are right: It's probably just semantics and I get your point. Mine was more about the reactions on the person being called rich. The figures in my post were just a (badly chosen) example.

A few colleagues do this now and it's really tempting to do the same.
My position has gone entirely WFH, so I'm feeling that temptation as well... though I'd probably head for Shimoda.

Reactions: just4fun
A few colleagues do this now and it's really tempting to do the same.

The only negative about Karuizawa is that the area around the Shinkansen station is surprisingly humid in summer. Still, a tempting option if I live in Japan.

The people who live there?

Ummm...as far as I know, not so many people were successfully settled to live there as all-year-round residents, and those who "survived the initiation" are often have some experience of living abroad. I find them rather interesting.