Guest viewing is limited

Trouble with credit cards in Japan

but I mentioned that most Japanese people do not understand English so they would not know what the rep is trying to get them to do.

They would call their phone authorization which should be stuck to their POS and they deal with it in Japanese. Time consuming but should be the case. Have you tried Lawson, 7/11 or Family Mart? Try 2 different ones.

This kinda makes me feel blessed in being so old school. I just made sure to have a card that allows me to withdraw cash at no extra cost. Japanese still love cash ;)

Reactions: MikeH
I have 3 US Cards. 2 from BoA one Visa one MC, and an AMX card. I almost never have an issue with AMX card. I ALWAYS have an issue with MC except at Costco which was the reason I got it (cause they change from AMX to MC a couple of years back). I rarely use the VISA. All 3 have Chips none of them have pin numbers. If I use them I simply tell the clerk it's an American card and that there is no PIN they push a button and out spits a receipt for me to sign. The MasterCard is the biggest offender of the 3 when it comes to working or not. The AMX card has rarely had an issue, so it is my goto card.

If I hadn't had the BOA card for 15+ years, I'd cancel it... It's the longest credit history I have on my US record. My Japanese cards are much more useful all over the globe....

That was pretty much the reason for me not dumping them either. When I was younger I had a visa card with a 3K limit on it that was almost maxed out. 3K was not a lot of money even for me then as I could pay it off with 2 paychecks if I really had too. However the bank decided that I was a risk and cancelled the card on me, I signed up at BoA they had no problem with giving me a card at double the credit limit and transferring the debt over from the other card. Had them for about 20 years now, it'd be stupid for me to close it off my credit report, my credit score would probably nosedive....