Truvada

It's real. Look up PreP (Pre exposure prophylaxis).
Truvada is the brand name of a drug that was originally prescribed (in conjunction with other drugs) to manage existing HIV infections. In several trials around the world, Truvada was prescribed on its own to people with high risk profiles (e.g. men who have unprotected sex with men) who are HIV-negative. In those trials, it greatly reduced new infections. Since the cost of Truvada is high, some people in developed countries are purchasing generic versions of the drug from India (or other countries where generics are available at low cost). I haven't seen any articles about female sex workers doing this. For SWs who have unprotected sex, it seems like a no-brainer to me.
I think Truvada will lose its patent in the near future. And other HIV drugs might be tested and approved for HIV prevention. As prevention becomes affordable for health systems, I guess PreP will become more common for people engaged in high-risk behavior. But, of course, it doesn't prevent other STIs.

Last edited:
I would personally rather not take it. It must be a strong drug and have a negative impact on your body in other areas, while reducing the chance at something thats already a low chance to catch in Japan.

Agree with Alice.
After reading the side effects, it seems like a bad idea unless you were a guy who frequently takes it up the ass raw.

In the long run, if you were to simulate a certain SW's life thousands of times, I suspect in most cases there would be a greater net loss of life-years by taking truvada than not taking it. HIV risk is just so low.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
It must be a strong drug and have a negative impact on your body in other areas

If it's anything similar than the drug they use to prevent getting the virus when someone has had a potentially dangerous event with a HIV positive person (and it must be very similar) then yes, the side effects are not very nice.

I talked with a STD doc a few years back and he told that before they administer the drug you need to get your liver and blood tests done and then they would need to have daily checkups for a week or so. Kidneys and liver failures were the most common side effects.

If it's anything similar than the drug they use to prevent getting the virus when someone has had a potentially dangerous event with a HIV positive person (and it must be very similar) then yes, the side effects are not very nice.
With pre-exposure prophylaxis (PreP), a person typically takes a low dosage of one drug (Truvada was the first drug to be approved for this purpose - it actually combines two drugs in one pill. Other drugs may be approved for PreP in time). A relatively low level of Truvada in a person has proven to be quite effective at preventing an HIV infection from taking hold.
There are potential effects to kidney and bone health, so if you start taking Truvada, you want to do it under supervision of a medical professional who monitors those things. Some people who have been taking truvada have blogged about it, so you can easily get a first hand account of their experience on websites like this one:
http://myprepexperience.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

Post exposure prophylaxis (PEP) is a little different. This is the emergency intervention that you can do within 72 hours of exposure to HIV. For example, an ambulance crew member who had an injury from a needle (needle-stick) might need PEP. My understanding is that you have a 72 hour window to hit the virus hard before It makes a permanent home for itself in the human body. So PEP involves two or three medications in relatively high doses for about a month. I believe that might come with more side effects than PreP.
Bear in mind that HIV+ people had been taking Truvada (in combination with other medications) for some years before it was approved for PreP. From what I read, it seems that HIV+ people with treatment can expect to live as long as HIV negative people, but they tend to have higher incidences of health problems as they age. How much of that is side effects from medication and how much is a result of the virus, I don't know.
Well, this is about the extent of my understanding. I won't pretend that I know any more but I would encourage you to read about this. I think things are advancing so quickly and it's important not to just assume that PreP must have similar impact as PEP etc.

Saw this in Japan Times today:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...ective-preventing-hiv-infection/#.WlWW4iuRWEc

Never heard about. Is it for real? Anybody heard about Japanese SWs taking it?

In the states, it is HUGE with the Gay male community. Saw a documentary about a man having protected and unprotected sex while taking the drug even though he is not infected. Because of this, he takes blood tests every month to be sure. Now, this is not by any means and if you will, Night Quil Flu and AIDS, few men have tested positive even though they are taking the prophylaxis. If you want to be safe abstinence (fat chance) and proper condom use will help prevent or prevent the transmission of HIV/AIDS.