Truvada

Lars Lust

TAG Member
Reaction score
There is a story in today’s Japan Times / New York Times about HIV in Australia. The prophylactic drug Truvada might help the country eliminate HIV by 2030. They think. For the subsidized cost for the user of less than 3000 yen/month. I have never heard of Travada. Why is not every SW on the drug? Of course, if not subsidized the cost is probably much higher.

Reactions: DireWolf98
A lot of people are on PrEP. It’s more common amongst the gay community and intravenous drug users however.

AFAIK, it’s more common for SW who are under the risk of rapes (survival SW etc) or who are coerced into BBFS. I keep an eye on Sexworkersonly on Reddit and plenty of girls complain about the increasing demand for BBFS & some ladies admit to offering it after the SESTA-FESTA impact in USA.

Truvada may have side effects, therefore if you’re using condoms for everything & you’re using them the right way HIV risk is very neglectable.

AFAIK, it’s more common for SW who are under the risk of rapes (survival SW etc) or who are coerced into BBFS. I keep an eye on Sexworkersonly on Reddit and plenty of girls complain about the increasing demand for BBFS & some ladies admit to offering it after the SESTA-FESTA impact in USA.

Truvada may have side effects, therefore if you’re using condoms for everything & you’re using them the right way HIV risk is very neglectable.

One big issue is that there's not been nearly as much study done on effectiveness among women, even less than on straight men. What has been done shows that a much higher concentration is needed for vaginal protection, and hence a much stricter adherence to the regimen. Gay men can get away with missing 50% of their doses and still have protection.

All this being said, I'm a holiday prep user (1 week before/after holiday periods). Side effects are pretty minimal, just have your calcium levels checked periodically and of course everyone should be getting HIV tested periodically regardless. 100 yen a day (what I pay including shipping from a reputable source that has been third-party tested to be the correct substance and dosage) for de facto immunity to HIV seems a great deal.

The one thing that concerns me about the rising ubiquity of prep usage in the non-gay community is that it ends up encouraging riskier behavior with the threat of HIV no longer looking.