Trying to become a freelance translator

hamsap

TAG Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to escape teaching English by becoming a freelance translator.
My Japanese skills are nearly there although admittedly there is still room for improvement. This is more of a mid-term goal than something I want to happen right now.

Are there any freelance translators on this board?
Any advice?

Last edited:
I'm an ex-translator but I can give you some general pointers.

First off, connections. No matter how skillful you are, if you have no way to get your foot through the door, you're going to find yourself in quite an uphill battle. Also if you don't mind me asking, what particular fields are looking to get into?

Secondly, consider applying for the JLPT or BJT (which I hear is significantly harder) since certifications will definitely help so potential employers take you seriously.

Lastly, I assume you want to translate J->E and/or E->J. You may actually want to brush up on your writing skills. I find that even with folks with great Japanese ability, the lack of strong writing abilities in English (or whatever language you're translating into) will ruin the best of efforts. Someone with excellent writing skills will flourish as a translator.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Lastly, I assume you want to translate J->E and/or E->J. You may actually want to brush up on your writing skills. I find that even with folks with great Japanese ability, the lack of strong writing abilities in English (or whatever language you're translating into) will ruin the best of efforts. Someone with excellent writing skills will flourish as a translator.
Completely agree. I have read book translations and later read the (English) originals and in many cases the translations were so much better actually (or i may just be more comfortable reading in my first language). Like they actually have longer sentences with more enjoyable wordings and interesting expressions that kind of change the general feeling.

Reactions: MikeH
Like they actually have longer sentences with more enjoyable wordings and interesting expressions that kind of change the general feeling.

And that's the dilemma professional translators face every day. If the original text is clumsy should they keep it like that or polish it to make it a better read?

Also I would not personally ever hire a translator to do a text to a language that is not her native one. So if you speak English as native then you should stick to J->E translations. Just my two yens, translated from 1 euro cent.

It's not the best solution but have you checked out Upwork? I have contracted people off here before. The pay isn't always the best but if you are looking to obtain some side work and experience it might be beneficial.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland