Guest viewing is limited

Typhoon Hagibis

SashaSin

TAG Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone :)

Typhoon Hagibis is scheduled to land Saturday with destruction similar to a category 5 hurricane. The last category 5 hurricane I encountered completely changed my life. I have a few foreign friends here on holiday and some including myself who would like to know from some experienced locals, what should one do to prepare to weather a storm like Typhoon Hagibis. Is there anything to worry about (specifically with staying in a traditional Japanese house) my apartment shakes from the slightest blow of wind nevertheless if a car passes by too fast and what are the best goodies in the supermarket that would withstand a power outage? What’s your preparation process? From the media there hasn’t been a typhoon with this strength since the early 90s. Will love hotels stay open for operation?

In any event, whether the storm isn't too much to worry about Id like everyone to be safe.

Your feedback is appreciated.
Thanks

- No appointment for Saturday. Personal plans cancelled..
- Warned all my clients I’ve met this week about the typhoon.. one had no clue, I’m happy I’ve warned him.
- If you have pets stock up on pet food. Kitties can’t go outside partying tonight. Sorry kitties.
- Canned beans, almonds, fruits are my favorite disaster foods :)
- I’ll stay in my property to make sure the windows are secure. Close your curtains! and try to stay away from windows.
- Take a nice bath beforehand in case there’s power outage and you can’t take a shower for a while
- Fill up your batteries, prepare your flashlights
- If you own a car make sure the vehicle is safe and secure in your garage & refueled
- No brainer but don’t step out during typhoon.

I’m being extra cautious but better safe than sorry.

I guess it is a bit late now, but obviously stock up on basic provisions. Fill your bath with water in case there is an outage. Keep your phone charged. Close any shutters outside your windows. You could also put tape inside your windows so that if they do blow in they don't shatter all over you; or you could line them with cardboard. Get your best books and boardgames ready.

what should one do to prepare to weather a storm like Typhoon Hagibis

1) Start preparing a few days before to avoid the panic buyers. (Bit late now, but remember next time...)

2) Assume up to 7 days without power or water, so lay in enough food and water for 7 days (2 liters of water per day per person in the household, plus adequate supplies for pets).

3) Pick up a gas canister stove and a dozen or so canisters so that you can prepare said food.

4) If you have a vehicle, gas it up, the gas stations may not get deliveries for a bit.

5) Make sure you have a week's worth of toilet paper.

6) Fill your bathtub - you can scoop water into the toilet to gravity flush it.

And hey, if it turns out to just be a big soak - you didn't buy anything you wouldn't just use eventually anyhow. :)

- I’ll stay in my property to make sure the windows are secure.
I wonder if there is a way to protect windows further. I saw a lot of people using good old duct tape, but that doesn't really make much sense (other than keeping shards together if window actually breaks).

Hopefully, worst part of it will be during the day.
https://weathernews.jp/s/news/typh/?fm=onebox

In any case I really hope it won't be as bad as we anticipate and everybody will be safe and sound.

1) If you have a garden or a balcony secure anything possible to the ground.
2) Including your neighbour's kid's bicycles.
3) Receive thank you from the neighbour's mom.
4) Refrain from saying you didn't do it for her, just that you don't want the brat's bicycle through your window later.

Also stock up on sex in case you die or can't get it for few days. I just had a 12 hour love hotel visit in case all of them blow off of Tokyo tomorrow. :D

I saw a lot of people using good old duct tape, but that doesn't really make much sense

It's highly recommended to NOT tape windows. All that does is cause larger pieces of glass to come flying in.

5) Make sure you have a week's worth of toilet paper.

I have fond memories of 2011, when I purloined (with express permission from the boss) a 12 pack of toilet paper from the company I worked for, where I'd just gone in to dump a bunch of data onto some HDs in case it needed to leave the country in a hurry, and was getting envious looks from fellow passengers on the Yamanote line (which was running at an unheard-of 10 minute interval).

Just stocked up on beer, I'm sure it won't be as bad as 2011 when I had to resort to happoshu on at least occasion, but you never know.

It's highly recommended to NOT tape windows. All that does is cause larger pieces of glass to come flying in.

Just today morning when I walked past a TV in the gym they were explaining how to tape your windows. Then walking my neighbourhood I saw some really terrible ways to do it too. :(

Just today morning when I walked past a TV in the gym they were explaining how to tape your windows. Then walking my neighbourhood I saw some really terrible ways to do it too. :(

Mrs. Bergmann earlier went to the trouble of taping up the windows with what appears to be 1cm wide masking tape from the 100 yen shop. I don't have the heart to tell her that it will be about 100% less effective than the chicken wire already embedded in the windows, though presumably neither will offer much resistance if one of the TV companies comes round and shoots an umbrella at it to demonstrate what a flying umbrella can do in a typhoon.

chicken wire already embedded in the windows

Those windows are strong as hell. They withstand actual window break tools, the wire stops the cracks spreading.

Yep. My local conbini guys were a little surprised when I walked in and only bought a bottle of wine and some fried chicken.

I think the typhoon has been downgraded from Super Typhoon so hopefully it won’t be as bad as the last one. It’s always good to prepare just in case.

Reactions: SashaSin and Sudsy
My thoughts are going to “rumpen” - how are they doing a day like this?

I think the typhoon has been downgraded from Super Typhoon so hopefully it won’t be as bad as the last one. It’s always good to prepare just in case.

The rivers are still flooding worse than since... well ever I've seen. And the worst rains are still just coming.

86B671EB-D0D4-47A5-85C1-59CFE371E815.png
I live near the Sagami River. The local fire department has been going around recommending people to evacuate. I’m going ahead and leaving. This picture was taken two hours ago. Considering the typhoon has yet to arrive...yeah. I’m out.

View attachment 12332 I live near the Sagami River. The local fire department has been going around recommending people to evacuate. I’m going ahead and leaving. This picture was taken two hours ago. Considering the typhoon has yet to arrive...yeah. I’m out.
God help you and your pets, I’m getting our evacuation bags ready as well :(

A bit too late now, but definitely keep a battery pack charged.

As others said, stock up on food, water, and first aid.

Keep vehicles gassed so you can use it if needed.

Assume no power or water for a while afterwards (hopefully won't be that bad).

I was hunting for a podcast episode where disaster prep was discussed in Japan, but no luck finding it.

Make sure to go out early after the storm passes (assuming it is safe to do so), and if things are bad, to stock up supplies in convenient stores... But they might ration things so be careful about it!

Reactions: SashaSin
Oof. That’s my favourite weekend getaway.

Reactions: TokyoJoeblow