Guest viewing is limited

Typhoon Hagibis

And most of them because they decided it was a good idea to go outside.

And most of them because they decided it was a good idea to go outside.

I was watching Shibuya live camera yesterday and there were a ton of people outside.... and lots of taxis too.

I was watching Shibuya live camera yesterday and there were a ton of people outside.... and lots of taxis too.

And surprisingly many think it is a good idea to go to see how up the rivers have swollen. There are the people who end up adding to that number.

Several of my local friends are working as fire fighters in and around of Tokyo. Most of them pulled 48 hour shifts fishing people or bodies out of rivers.

Reactions: Sudsy
And surprisingly many think it is a good idea to go to see how up the rivers have swollen. There are the people who end up adding to that number.

I guess for some people its hard to estimate all the risks and think two steps ahead. I was very surprised to learn that one of my relatives ( that happen to live here as well ) thought it would be a good idea to go to some city in Tohoku area ( 3-4 hours drive from Tokyo ). It was fine in the end, but I still don't get why from all the days it had to be the one when typhoon hits ...

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeH
most of them because they decided it was a good idea to go outside

Bingo. The number of idiotic people that think it's a great idea to go out and try to get some shots of the action is astounding... as well as the number that think it's a grand idea to roam around looking for damage to take pictures of in the morning afterwards, hindering cleanup and repair efforts.

What happened? Was there some rain and wind? Jack kept me worry free and coke said don't worry.

Sadly these days there’s money in that.

I found it really interesting the food choices people make for disasters, and food choices they don't think about. I went to the store 2 days before the typhoon hit, and the cup of noodle section was completely wiped out. Directly across from the cup noodles was the pasta. Completely stocked. I grabbed some spaghetti and some macaroni to buffer what I already keep on hand at home.

The same went for the canned foods, nothing was touched. I made sure to get enough tomato puree and cut tomatoes to make a sauce. I also grabbed beef and chicken bullion from that aisle so I could make something with that if I needed too.

Root vegetables can keep for days. Carrots, potatoes, onions, can all keep at least a week if kept in a cool place. Apples and pears will keep a few days. Most vegetables will keep a few days. So for disaster yes stock up on the dry goods, but please buy the fresh stuff so the first couple days you're not eating your emergency dry food.

Of course, I also have a Coleman camp stove and keep gas canisters under the sink in case we have no gas, so I have the means to cook for at least 4 days without gas. While I don't eat the onions or carrots raw, I sure do enjoy raw potato (color me strange) so that wouldn't bother me, as long as they're pealed and cleaned. I have to buy an extra potato on thanksgiving cause while I'm making the mashed, I'll snack out on the raw that I am cutting.

I found it really interesting the food choices people make for disasters, and food choices they don't think about. I went to the store 2 days before the typhoon hit, and the cup of noodle section was completely wiped out. Directly across from the cup noodles was the pasta. Completely stocked. I grabbed some spaghetti and some macaroni to buffer what I already keep on hand at home.

The same went for the canned foods, nothing was touched. I made sure to get enough tomato puree and cut tomatoes to make a sauce. I also grabbed beef and chicken bullion from that aisle so I could make something with that if I needed too.

Root vegetables can keep for days. Carrots, potatoes, onions, can all keep at least a week if kept in a cool place. Apples and pears will keep a few days. Most vegetables will keep a few days. So for disaster yes stock up on the dry goods, but please buy the fresh stuff so the first couple days you're not eating your emergency dry food.

Of course, I also have a Coleman camp stove and keep gas canisters under the sink in case we have no gas, so I have the means to cook for at least 4 days without gas. While I don't eat the onions or carrots raw, I sure do enjoy raw potato (color me strange) so that wouldn't bother me, as long as they're pealed and cleaned. I have to buy an extra potato on thanksgiving cause while I'm making the mashed, I'll snack out on the raw that I am cutting.

I actually also bought more fresh foods than dry/canned stuff. I can easily make food for a couple of days with very few ingredients such as tomato sauce or even just potatoes, leek etc.
the bread, meat, cup ramen and water section was completely wiped out at my supermarket and people on SNS kept complaining there is nothing left. While my 7-11 nearby had a ton of water on Friday at 11pm....

I actually also bought more fresh foods than dry/canned stuff. I can easily make food for a couple of days with very few ingredients such as tomato sauce or even just potatoes, leek etc.
the bread, meat, cup ramen and water section was completely wiped out at my supermarket and people on SNS kept complaining there is nothing left. While my 7-11 nearby had a ton of water on Friday at 11pm....
Same, I stocked up on mostly nuts and fresh fruits. The bread they sell in konbini gives me stomach cramps anyways.. :( Still drinking the “disaster” water tho :D

Same, I stocked up on mostly nuts and fresh fruits. The bread they sell in konbini gives me stomach cramps anyways.. :( Still drinking the “disaster” water tho :D

Yeah, we get water service here, so we always have disaster water available. Always about 60L in the house, and since its gravity-fed, it can still be used even if the power is out. I also have 2 20L jugs that I fill up that we have in case the water goes out and we need to flush the toilet.

Reactions: SugoiBoy
The supply of bottled water you lay in for a typhoon.

NO! Wrong teachings. That would just be normal water stored for emergency use.

Real Disaster Water needs to have the text 防災備蓄用 written on it.

Like this: real.jpg

If you compare it to the normal water you can see the difference: fake.jpg

Now go on and use only real Disaster Water during the disasters, say no to fake Disaster Water!

It's this part that is confusing me though.

We have water service. We have X bottles that we keep in the house on a monthly basis in case of a disaster. That number is 3 bottles of 20 litres, so we always have 60 litres above our usual drinking water. We go through about 40 litres of service a month in regular drinking water, so any one time we have 100 litres of water in the house. As new water comes in, we rotate out the "disaster reserve" so that we don't have old water in the event of a disaster.

Reactions: wraithfive
NO! Wrong teachings. That would just be normal water stored for emergency use.

Real Disaster Water needs to have the text 防災備蓄用 written on it.

Like this: View attachment 12376

If you compare it to the normal water you can see the difference: View attachment 12377

Now go on and use only real Disaster Water during the disasters, say no to fake Disaster Water!

Well, then our water isn't "disaster water" in your definition, it's what we put aside in case of a disaster...

Well, then our water isn't "disaster water" in your definition, it's what we put aside in case of a disaster...

Anyone who wants to be recognised as a good subject of the Emperor would have real Disaster Water stored only for emergency use. And then throw it away when the expiration date comes. :eek::D

Reactions: chaztagster
The expiration date is for the bottle, not the water, right?
Yep, beyond that date the integrity of the bottle is not guaranteed. If stored in a dark place, the bottles can last for decades - it's UV light that causes them to degrade.