Guest viewing is limited

Unsexy Japan

vargas

TAG Member
Reaction score
Those of you living in Japan have probably noticed a fashion trend towards very loose clothing with yards of extra material that completely obscures body shape. Also bizzare applications of makeup completely the opposite of the usual use to accentuate positive features. What is up with these trends?!

It’s well known that Japanese women frequently have poor body structure; short, fat legs, tiny breasts, and flat butts. Is baggy clothing desired to hide these imperfections? Yet Korean and Chinese women, while generally having better proportions and nicer legs, also frequently have small breasts and flat bottoms, yet they tend to wear tailored clothing that flatters and highlights their attributes. Hell in China they often take sexiness to an extreme. Why is Japan so different?

This trend isn’t restricted to women of course, you often see men wearing very similar outfits. Is it perhaps a trend towards androgyny?

I find it hard to believe that men or women find these sort of outfits the least bit attractive. It’s more like an active rejection of sexiness. Perhaps it ties into trends towards staying single and focusing on entertainment instead of relationships?

Or is it just laziness? Obesity is on the rise in Japan as elsewhere and baggy clothing hides the rolls of fat and bulging abdomen. Many Japanese seem quite opposed to any sort of physical activity other than walking, the gyms are surprisingly quiet, poorly equipped, and incredibly overpriced.

Get out the fire retardant suits and let’s have a good flame war

very loose clothing with yards of extra material that completely obscures body shape.
You're talking about the really baggy pants that are over-sized and almost look like long skirts or dresses? I saw a guy on the train the other day that was wearing something like that, I had to double check what I was looking at. The only way I could really tell was the lack of a chest.

The makeup thing, I have not noticed. That's probably because of the people I'm around most of the time.

I think it's just a trend that will come and go, I can't imagine this maintaining a foothold as a continuous fashion trend. None of the people I know directly wear stuff like this, either young or older.

Or is it just laziness? Obesity is on the rise in Japan as elsewhere and baggy clothing hides the rolls of fat and bulging abdomen. Many Japanese seem quite opposed to any sort of physical activity other than walking, the gyms are surprisingly quiet, poorly equipped, and incredibly overpriced.
Matter of opinion mostly, except that it's true that Japanese people are becoming larger. Gyms.... this is subjective. Our office gym in our main building stays busy throughout the day. The Anytime Fitness place closest to my place stays empty most of the time...

Those of you living in Japan have probably noticed a fashion trend towards very loose clothing with yards of extra material that completely obscures body shape. Also bizzare applications of makeup completely the opposite of the usual use to accentuate positive features. What is up with these trends?!

I never really understood "fashion" ...

the once a year undokai seems enough physical exertion for them :)

I'm seeing an opposite trend at the Anytime Fitness where I go ... Tue and today besides me and other regulars .. I saw other people at the gym and this was around 6am!

recent studies show Japan (and Korea) have the lowest obesity rates worldwide ... http://www.oecd.org/health/obesity-update.htm ...

Reactions: Yuriko and MikeH
I actually don't mind at all. If they're wearing something nice and classy and not a bomb suit, it can look just or even more attractive IMO. I'm probably in the minority, but if anything, something like the tight yoga pants and top Western girls like is a turnoff.

I've noticed J Girls here in Australia are fans of flare pants and other baggy outfits, but often than not they look nicer than the tight stuff other Asian girls here wear. For Asian Girls I find the face to be more important anyway.

Never noticed the outfits/make-up you mentioned but generally speaking after 20+ years here I think Japanese ladies dress indeed much less sexy than in the past. Without invoking too much the ghosts of "bodycon" or "gyaru" looks, I must admit sometimes I regret the good old times ...

Reactions: cabbie
You're talking about the really baggy pants that are over-sized and almost look like long skirts or dresses? I saw a guy on the train the other day that was wearing something like that, I had to double check what I was looking at. The only way I could really tell was the lack of a chest.

Yeah those pants, or dresses that have the shape of a large garbage bag, tops that are so baggy the arms barely stick out looking like a tyrannosaurus.

The makeup thing, I have not noticed. That's probably because of the people I'm around most of the time.

It’s like they put a ton of brightly colored blush under their eyes instead of on their cheeks.

Kinda like this: http://www.mina-perhonen.jp/en/collection/clothes/1718aw/

I noticed a lot of what you described the last time I was in Tokyo earlier this year. I guess that's what passes for fashionable these days in Japan. Kind of makes me cringe to look at. But I don't try to understand it. The Japanese are a strange bunch sometimes. Hope this style goes away soon though.

"Sexy" is always subjective. Personally I think the style of clothing described can look good on many Japanese women because it works with rather than against their general body structure. Styles meant to emphasize the curves generally found on non Asian women are for the most part not going to work well on women who generally don't have those curves and vice versa. Consider how a curvy Western woman looks a bit wrong wearing a actual kimono. Same thing.

It’s like they put a ton of brightly colored blush under their eyes instead of on their cheeks.

Kinda like this: http://www.mina-perhonen.jp/en/collection/clothes/1718aw/

Gosh, wonder if this has any history here?

The-Actor-Nakamura-Kotaro-w.jpg

kabuki-14.jpg

22a65f38c98b6e8030a34a76c44f2562--foto-film-documentary.jpg

204k308d.jpg

Reactions: Sinapse
"Sexy" is always subjective. Personally I think the style of clothing described can look good on many Japanese women because it works with rather than against their general body structure. Styles meant to emphasize the curves generally found on non Asian women are for the most part not going to work well on women who generally don't have those curves and vice versa. Consider how a curvy Western woman looks a bit wrong wearing a actual kimono. Same thing.

I’ve gotta disagree with you there, women’s clothing is amazing, a well-fitted outfit can make anyone who isn’t potato shaped look amazing. Japanese women don’t have as exaggerated curves as other races but they certainly have a feminine shape that can benefit from proper attire.

One need only walk around Ginza or Omotesando to find young women, the same age as the ones with these crazy baggy outfits, wearing really attractive outfits from high-end brands and well-applied makeup.

There’s gotte be something else to the crazy outfits. Maybe they’re mistaking fashion for cosplay haha.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Most Japanese women dress to please other women. Southern European and Latin women dress to please men. Brits and Americans are a mix. Most women who look good in clothes generally turn out to be too skinny and boney once you get them naked. Supermodels are usually a great example of this. All shoulders, flat ass and skinny legs. No tits. But lets stop objectifying women and speaking of them in this coarse and crude way. Its whats inside that counts.

Reactions: cabbie and Frenchy
I’ve gotta disagree with you there, women’s clothing is amazing, a well-fitted outfit can make anyone who isn’t potato shaped look amazing. Japanese women don’t have as exaggerated curves as other races but they certainly have a feminine shape that can benefit from proper attire.

One need only walk around Ginza or Omotesando to find young women, the same age as the ones with these crazy baggy outfits, wearing really attractive outfits from high-end brands and well-applied makeup.

There’s gotte be something else to the crazy outfits. Maybe they’re mistaking fashion for cosplay haha.
I don’t know.. the world would be a very boring place if everyone was exactly the same. I like the diversity.

It’s well known that Japanese women frequently have poor body structure; short, fat legs, tiny breasts, and flat butts. Is baggy clothing desired to hide these imperfections? Yet Korean and Chinese women, while generally having better proportions and nicer legs, also frequently have small breasts and flat bottoms, yet they tend to wear tailored clothing that flatters and highlights their attributes. Hell in China they often take sexiness to an extreme. Why is Japan so different?

This trend isn’t restricted to women of course, you often see men wearing very similar outfits. Is it perhaps a trend towards androgyny?

I find it hard to believe that men or women find these sort of outfits the least bit attractive. It’s more like an active rejection of sexiness. Perhaps it ties into trends towards staying single and focusing on entertainment instead of relationships?

Get out the fire retardant suits and let’s have a good flame war
This is so true. One of the main reasons i came to Japan was fashion, but recent fashion trends have been deplorable.
Thanks to fast fashion, all my favorite brands have dried up and either quit all together or stopped making original pieces.
Japanese women seem to like the most unflattering things ever, google "rodeo crowns", one of the few boutique brands that is still booming if you dont believe me.

And sexy brands like d.i.a have gone under and changed their image. Its maddening.

The only Japanese fashion i still like are kyabakura brands and second hand things.

I don’t see that happening at all. Or I’m just in the wrong area most of the time.
Even when going shopping, almost all stores these days have short pencil type of skirts and form fitting tops.

I prefer the shorter flare skirts, there's a great shop in Subnade at 歌舞伎町 that has a perfect collection.

There's plenty of shops selling classic fashions and those for what Anna said.

One of the main reasons i came to Japan was fashion
I'll admit, I've never understood that. While some of the recombinations here are indeed "different" lots of that stuff is more objects of curiosity rather than something that really works in real life. The various fashion trends here over the last few decades have mostly looked like little girls who rummage through the back of their mom's closet and pull stuff out randomly.

"rodeo crowns"

Friend of mine who has some connections in the garment industry used to think that brand name was a typical katakana "r for l" mistake because "rodeo clowns" are actually a thing but the two words of that brand together are nonsense. Through his industry connections he asks. Turns out the brand name is intentional but not intended to be nonsense. Sort of Superdry in reverse.

But yeah, their stuff has always looked gaudy and ugly.

Or I’m just in the wrong area most of the time.

I'm guessing you just arent shopping where this kind of stuff is sold?

I'll admit, I've never understood that. While some of the recombinations here are indeed "different" lots of that stuff is more objects of curiosity rather than something that really works in real life. The various fashion trends here over the last few decades have mostly looked like little girls who rummage through the back of their mom's closet and pull stuff out randomly.

Friend of mine who has some connections in the garment industry used to think that brand name was a typical katakana "r for l" mistake because "rodeo clowns" are actually a thing but the two words of that brand together are nonsense. Through his industry connections he asks. Turns out the brand name is intentional but not intended to be nonsense. Sort of Superdry in reverse.

But yeah, their stuff has always looked gaudy and ugly.

I'm guessing you just arent shopping where this kind of stuff is sold?
The brand took its name from a song by Jack Johnson called Rodeo Clowns. Clowns became Crowns through the classic r, l screw up.

Reactions: Frostie
I have definitely seen the 'loose' or 'baggy' trend over the past 2 weeks I've been there. A friend of mine (she is 20 years old) says that a lot of younger females that commute to Tokyo take the time to pretty themselves and prefer to wear waste-fit dresses/clothing, but a lot of their older colleagues and co-workers that have been in the Tokyo area for a while have been wearing those loose-fit clothings (i.e. loose high-water pants that cut off at the ankles and look like they're dangling, bell-bottom pants that somewhat flare out towards the feet). No idea if it's because of trend or convenience, perhaps both!

You guys are crazy. Whenever I am lucky enough to escape the office during daylight hours my mind is constantly blown by the sheer volume of women here who look amazingly sexy, all in different ways. I love the blusha look and baggy clothes worn well are super hot.