Guest viewing is limited

Vending machines and the environment in Japan

In all fairness, they want you to know they did it. That's how they get the message across.
The group wants them to know the group did it, not the same as individuals, i.e. the "self radicalized".

Reactions: Lukes
The group wants them to know the group did it, not the same as individuals, i.e. the "self radicalized".
Sure, if the intent is to not get caught. I agree.

So many self radicalized ones seem to want to get caught these days and eventually get claimed by the groups they claim to have perpetrated the acts for.

A Japanese acquaintance told me about the bins being removed for anti-terror reasons. I was bitching about it and that prompted further complaining about how they have no street signs in the event of an invasion. Guess they didn't foresee Google maps at the time.

Fascinating how things get blown out of proportion.
I thought that google maps kind of saved us all the inconvenience of not having streetnames.

You are stretching the facts and twisting my words. So you are definitely my kind of people. :p

I should have said that the sarin attack didn't use or even didn't plan to use the trash bins for anything; and still they decided they need to seal them. They should have taped the toilets too and then they could have saved even more when they didn't need to clean and maintain them. :D
Well, the "not having toilets" or having to pay for toilet use thing is European...
And i rather have toilets but have to take my trash around for a while (and there are some bins near vending machines, convience stores and station, its not like there are none at all) than being out and not being able to find any toilet unless i pay for something. So lets hope they dont learn pennysaving from Europe and keep the omotenashi.

Reactions: Ken1988 and MikeH
I thought that google maps kind of saved us all the inconvenience of not having streetnames.
In some ways it does eliminate that need but it can sometimes be hard to get your bearings in certain areas of Tokyo just by looking at the map on your phone and having no street sign to verify you are in fact where you're supposed to be. Anyways I just don't think it's a benefit to not have them. What's the point of having famous streets if nothing even marks them physically?

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
Where did you hear this from? I thought it was just because they did things differently, I'd love to see some references on this.
I remember reading this somewhere over a year ago but now that I'm searching for it can't find the original source. I'm not sure how credible a claim it is. Could just be an urban myth put in print. If I find it, I'll come back and post it. At the time though I thought it made sense.

Reactions: impish
Getting sort of back on topic, my other pet peeve about vending machines in Japan is that none of them seem to accept coins smaller than ten yen.

OK, I sort of understand not taking one yen coins, but couldn't they at least take five yen coins? FWIIW, vending machines in the USA often still accept nickels, but I've never seen one that accepted pennies.

Just think, all those five yen coins might even bring good luck to the owners of Japanese vending machines:rolleyes:

Reactions: Lukes
Lots of machines in the US accept nickels. Some accept credit cards now. Which reminds me - don't the modern Japanese machines accept SUICA and all that? Kind of solves the problem of making sure you have the right coinage.

Reactions: MikeH
The most famous streets have names and signs though.
Like "meiji dori" and "yasukuni dori"

This is true and I do notice the signs in some places. I guess I'm just a fan of more regular signage, lol.

Virtually every street in Japan has a name, they're just not generally posted other than at major intersections, and are often known only to neighbourhood locals and mapmakers, and often the names aren't quite apparent.

I lived in my neighbourhood for years before I learned the name of all the streets around my building. One is named after a small (but apparently somewhat famous) bridge that it crosses several kilometers away, another is named after a river that it runs alongside here and there, but is nowhere near it in my area.

A Japanese acquaintance told me about the bins being removed for anti-terror reasons. I was bitching about it and that prompted further complaining about how they have no street signs in the event of an invasion. Guess they didn't foresee Google maps at the time.

I don't think invading forces rely on street signs...and the Japanese knew it all well.
dl.ndl.go.jp/info:ndljp/pid/4011029

Lots of machines in the US accept nickels. Some accept credit cards now. Which reminds me - don't the modern Japanese machines accept SUICA and all that? Kind of solves the problem of making sure you have the right coinage.

Good point, but some machines especially ones found outside of Tokyo only take coins and 1,000 yen bills.

Reactions: impish
Good point, but some machines especially ones found outside of Tokyo only take coins and 1,000 yen bills.
True. I imagine there are many old school machines still around. Well, I have a coin pouch that I carry around. Not a sexy thing to whip it out but whatever. I make sure I have a variety of coins in it all the time. Sometimes it just comes down to being prepared. I'm a big vending machine user.

Speaking of vending Machines.
Has anyone seen or know where the ones that sell the condoms?
condom-vending-machine-tokyo-japan-picture-id139831500

Reactions: SugoiBoy
I've seen em in some surprisingly non sexy neighborhoods

Yeah, seen those in many areas that are 100% single houses with nothing even hinting at any hanky panky.

But would you buy condoms that are called "Happy Family Life"? Isn't that exactly what the condoms are meant to prevent? :confused:

Yeah, seen those in many areas that are 100% single houses with nothing even hinting at any hanky panky.

But would you buy condoms that are called "Happy Family Life"? Isn't that exactly what the condoms are meant to prevent? :confused:

They fulfill the "Happy Family Life" by ensuring your mistress/sugar baby doesn't show up at your door with your illegitimate child I guess. Wives don't talk kindly to that, or so I hear :p

It sort of did. They sealed over the bins after the attack in fear of a followup.... then they realised how much money they saved not servicing the bins in the month after the attack... and the bins vanished.
Until the appearance of Osama Bin Ladin.