versatile, international Japanese Prepaid Card

hombre777

TAG Member
Reaction score
I'm going to take a long trip and I'll be at several airports
Im thinking of buying a prepaid card in Japan to use at different airports, any recommendations or suggestions?

Im thinking of buying a prepaid card in Japan to use at different airports, any recommendations or suggestions?

What kind of prepaid card? You mean like a prepaid Visa/MC credit card? Or?

What kind of prepaid card? You mean like a prepaid Visa/MC credit card? Or?

I dont know about Prepaid Cards too much. Anything wich can buy in Japan and can use in foreing countries, specially in Dubai and China aiport, I make transfer in this airports.

I dont know about Prepaid Cards too much. Anything wich can buy in Japan and can use in foreing countries, specially in Dubai and China aiport, I make transfer in this airports.

In Japan, you can use cards but cash is still the main currency. Prepaid cards do work in Japan but I'm not familiar with how restrictive the usage is here. Other countries have monetary restrictions on how prepaid cards work since the funds cannot always be traced in the case there is an issue.

Personally, I'm not using any prepaid cards of any type... but they are definitely available and claim to be useful on a global scale.

**in my limited experience**

the Visa prepaid cards you buy in the convenience stores in Japan don't give you a machine readable card ... so nothing to physically scan at the POS terminal. it's mostly for online shopping only.

Reactions: AliceInWonderland
My exgf's daughter came to visit a few years back she didn't have a credit card as she was 19 at the time, so they got a prepaid mastercard somewhere in the US and that worked well for her. I can't remember her having any issues.

16 years ago when I came to Japan often I would have issues using my regular US credit card in Japan, that problem is long gone, so I suspect any old card from the US will work, but you should still bring a significant amount of cash for use in small restaurants and cafes where cards aren't generally accepted.